INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View Scheme question  (Read 1315 times)

snarfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
View Scheme question
« on: March 01, 2003, 11:34:26 am »

I'm just trying out this program and I wanted to sort the view options to the way I like them in other programs I use: Artist/Year/Album.

The closest I can seem to get MC to this is a treeview with

Artist
    Year
         Album

What I actually want to see is the Artist sorted alphabetically, then the albums sorted by year. All my mp3s have the correct id3 tags and MC sees them as in the correct year and all, but I just don't want to have an extraneous directory showing.

Little help?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: View Scheme question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 11:36:39 am »

Try a right click on the word "audio" in the tree, then choose "add view scheme".  Then add one new view scheme with those three variables.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 12:57:45 pm »

A couple of us have been pushing for this one for a while.  Currently it is not possible to do it. You cannot set a sort order for items in the tree they automatically go alphabetically.  I doubt it will make it in now for 9.0 but it may be added in 9.1 if all of us push hard enough ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

snarfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 01:46:19 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Jim, but that's what I've already tried. I just want eh albums sorted chronologically under the artist name.

MachineHead

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 03:18:44 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Jim, but that's what I've already tried. I just want eh albums sorted chronologically under the artist name.

Not going to happen in this version. Tree sorting is done with typical hierarchical orders used by virtually all systems.

It would probably take a fair amount of programming to change the way this is now handled by MC. And at this stage of the game it isn't likely to make its way into MC's current version.

That aside, you can set up the 'List' view for the sorting logic you want.

There is also another way to do the tree thing. But it involves adding numbers to the album titles before ripping. Resulting in modified files that are not accurately titled.

EG:
Artist - Such and such

Album:
Must add the numbers at this point...

1) title (Based on year)
2) title       "      "     "
3) etc., etc.

This would allow sorting in chronological order if you tagged the albums this way. But it again modifies things that might be better off left alone.

nila

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2003, 04:57:28 pm »

There is however a VERY simple solution for this.

It's a very easy to add feature I asked for some time ago.

The tool to move, copy from one field to another was added some time ago. If this was extended to allow fields to be merged it would work as an AMAZING work around for this problem and for giving the tree view ALOT of power.

You could do this:

[CustomField2] = [year] - [album]

and then do a view scheme like this:

artist
- customField2

and it'd sort them by year. It'd also display the year info there as a little added bonus.

THis could also be configured to just as easily be:

[CustomField2] = [year] - [album] - [bitrate] - [format]

etc, etc
and presuming your files were tagged correctly with the songs in one album having the same bitrate and year etc set it'd enable the tree view to display a great summary of all the info of each album while browsing it.

You'd be able to see each albums: year, bitrate and format without looking anywhere but the tree.

It'd be VERY powerful, or at least I think it would :)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2003, 02:08:09 am »

It would be but it would still display the year.  I dont want the year displayed I just want to sort by year.  When I sort my CD Library I sort it alpahabetically by artist then for each artist by year.  I would love to be able to do this with MC too...  But as I said I think it is a version 9.1 or even 10.0 thing...  I live inhope ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

snarfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2003, 05:25:07 am »

Thanks for the replies, guys (gals?). I use another competing program to take care of my music database and it sorts things the way I like, though it's not quite as slick as MC. I think I'll stick with it until MC gets this feature added, but I'm still impressed by it regardless.

For the record, I would prefer to see the year before the album title. My physical sorting on my hard drive is:

[folder]artist last name, artist first name
    [folder] album year - album title
         track number - track name

---and that's basically the way I would like the view scheme to look. Damn my type A fussy nature :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up