INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help - WDM or DLNA issue  (Read 4549 times)

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
Need help - WDM or DLNA issue
« on: January 29, 2023, 06:27:07 am »

I have a strange problem.
I have media centre 29, on a Windows 11 machine.
I have wiim mini (upnp streaming device) in my setup, I can stream music to it from jriver, playing local files, applying DSP etc. All bitrates and sampling rates up to 192, work.
https://wiimhome.com/WiiMMini/Overview
I have enabled WDM driver on jriver, and here is the problem:
- if I connect jriver to a wired DAC (not through wiim) then WDM works, no problems, I can send anything to it and it works.
- Playing local files to wiim is also problem free.
- However, if I use WDM and wiim together (WDM in - wiim out), then jriver mostly freezes so badly, I end up force shutting down my Windows 11. On occasions, it just says IPC waiting.
I have tried:
- running jriver in administer mode, disabling WDM, then starting it again in administrator mode again and re-enable WDM.
- Uninstalling jriver completely, and reinstalling a fresh version.
- Factory reset wiim and set it up again.
Nothing has worked yet.

What is going on?
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need help - WDM or DLNA issue
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 06:34:12 am »

I have a strange problem.
I have media centre 29, on a Windows 11 machine.
I have wiim mini (upnp streaming device) in my setup, I can stream music to it from jriver, playing local files, applying DSP etc. All bitrates and sampling rates up to 192, work.
https://wiimhome.com/WiiMMini/Overview
I have enabled WDM driver on jriver, and here is the problem:
- if I connect jriver to a wired DAC (not through wiim) then WDM works, no problems, I can send anything to it and it works.
- Playing local files to wiim is also problem free.
- However, if I use WDM and wiim together (WDM in - wiim out), then jriver mostly freezes so badly, I end up force shutting down my Windows 11. On occasions, it just says IPC waiting.
I have tried:
- running jriver in administer mode, disabling WDM, then starting it again in administrator mode again and re-enable WDM.
- Uninstalling jriver completely, and reinstalling a fresh version.
- Factory reset wiim and set it up again.
Nothing has worked yet.

What is going on?

I’m here because my JRiver/WiiM setup quits playing after a few tracks, but I can at least let you know how I got it to work, although I don’t know WDM

My WiiM Mini is in my bedroom and is connected to my headphone DAC-amp stack via optical. It is used for accessing my MC library (MC29, Windows 10) for bedside listening. The WiiM worked perfectly for bitperfect streaming until recently, and now it plays just a few tracks before quitting.

After I had originally setup the WiiM, and accessed the JRiver media server via DLNA (browse “Home Music Share”), and had used the WiiM player to play just a few tracks… I tried using JRemote, and I was amazed to discover the WiiM showing up as a JRiver “zone”. I selected it for output and voila!! (… until recently…)

Unfortunately, I don’t see many other WiiM users here for helping with my own problem…
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

eve

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 07:17:29 am »

You want to stream real time audio from your PC huh?

Yeah that's not going to work. DLNA doesn't really work that way. You'd need a pretty ridiculous buffer and therefore delay.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 09:26:08 am »

I’m here because my JRiver/WiiM setup quits playing after a few tracks, but I can at least let you know how I got it to work, although I don’t know WDM

My WiiM Mini is in my bedroom and is connected to my headphone DAC-amp stack via optical. It is used for accessing my MC library (MC29, Windows 10) for bedside listening. The WiiM worked perfectly for bitperfect streaming until recently, and now it plays just a few tracks before quitting.

After I had originally setup the WiiM, and accessed the JRiver media server via DLNA (browse “Home Music Share”), and had used the WiiM player to play just a few tracks… I tried using JRemote, and I was amazed to discover the WiiM showing up as a JRiver “zone”. I selected it for output and voila!! (… until recently…)

Unfortunately, I don’t see many other WiiM users here for helping with my own problem…
I have no issue playing to Wiim mini, playing from my own music. Mine doesn't quit, it can play all the long!
Wiim's own app, has no issue playing Amazon music to the mini either.
But I like to use jriver's DSP.
jriver own web browser can not play Amazon music to Wiim, and Amazon music app on windows, can happily play through WDM to jriver, PROVIDED jriver outputs to a hard wired DAC or sound card.
Trying to route WDM input to Wiim (DLNA player) doesn't work with jriver! it crashes.
No amount of buffering helps.
ANY WDM routed music into jriver, can not play to wiim mini.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

eve

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 09:51:34 am »

I have no issue playing to Wiim mini, playing from my own music. Mine doesn't quit, it can play all the long!
Wiim's own app, has no issue playing Amazon music to the mini either.
But I like to use jriver's DSP.
jriver own web browser can not play Amazon music to Wiim, and Amazon music app on windows, can happily play through WDM to jriver, PROVIDED jriver outputs to a hard wired DAC or sound card.
Trying to route WDM input to Wiim (DLNA player) doesn't work with jriver! it crashes.
No amount of buffering helps.
ANY WDM routed music into jriver, can not play to wiim mini.

Again, this makes a bunch of sense with how DLNA works.

You're looking for something very specific when it comes to real time network audio transport with a live source, DLNA is not that.

There's a bunch of guys on a local audio forum I frequent who use the WiiM and love it. It's a solid unit, it just doesn't do what you're trying to do really.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 10:40:03 am »

Again, this makes a bunch of sense with how DLNA works.

You're looking for something very specific when it comes to real time network audio transport with a live source, DLNA is not that.

There's a bunch of guys on a local audio forum I frequent who use the WiiM and love it. It's a solid unit, it just doesn't do what you're trying to do really.
Frankly I can not make head and tale of what you are saying.
- Scenario one:
Play local files, through jriver to Wiim (DLNA) , no problems. you keep saying this is not how DLNA works, but it does!
From my Android device, Neutron player, happily plays to wiim mini without anything else. Neutron "sees" the DLNA device, and plays to it. bit-perfect, equaliser or not, crossfeed or not up to 24/192. It does work.
- Scenario two:
instead of playing local files by jriver to wiim mini, try playing local files by another player, route it to jriver WDM driver, and jriver crashes! BUT, the same jriver plays the WDM input to a wired DAC, no problem.
I am talking, non-live music, from disk, still does not work.
If I could make jriver route WDM input (any source what so ever, dead, live, half live  :D) to work with Wiim, I am golden!
Now, if you again, just vaguely say, this is not how DLNA works, I shall throw something at you!  :) :)

Be specific. 

eve

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 10:43:59 am »

Frankly I can not make head and tale of what you are saying.
- Scenario one:
Play local files, through jriver to Wiim (DLNA) , no problems. you keep saying this is not how DLNA works, but it does!
From my Android device, Neutron player, happily plays to wiim mini without anything else. Neutron "sees" the DLNA device, and plays to it. bit-perfect, equaliser or not, crossfeed or not up to 24/192. It does work.
- Scenario two:
instead of playing local files by jriver to wiim mini, try playing local files by another player, route it to jriver WDM driver, and jriver crashes! BUT, the same jriver plays the WDM input to a wired DAC, no problem.
Now, if you again, just vaguely say, this is not how DLNA works, I shall throw something at you!  :) :)

Be specific.
You're slightly misunderstanding. In no way am I saying DLNA won't let you play a file from your computer on your WiiM. To vastly simplify, DLNA isn't 'streaming' real time data, it's telling the target device 'hey go get this 'link' and play it'  . WDM is a live source, it's not a file even if you're using an application to play back a file.

You're looking for something significantly more complex than DLNA.

You *could* make an RTP audio stream (using data from an audio sink) and recieve it on the WiiM or something but, there's going to be latency.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 10:50:42 am »

You're slightly misunderstanding. In no way am I saying DLNA won't let you play a file from your computer on your WiiM. To vastly simplify, DLNA isn't 'streaming' real time data, it's telling the target device 'hey go get this 'link' and play it'  . WDM is a live source, it's not a file even if you're using an application to play back a file.

You're looking for something significantly more complex than DLNA.

You *could* make an RTP audio stream and recieve it on the WiiM or something but, there's going to be latency.
So how does wiim app work?
It can play local files and streaming services, apply equaliser (DSP) or not, and play it to wiim mini.
The browser within jriver, also can not route anything to wiim.
JRiver has a 6 seconds buffer, it won't work for half a second.

eve

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 10:55:00 am »

So how does wiim app work?
It can play local files and streaming services, apply equaliser (DSP) or not, and play it to wiim mini.
The browser within jriver, also can not route anything to wiim.
JRiver has a 6 seconds buffer, it won't work for half a second.

I would assume that the WiiM app does the majority of this stuff 'on' the WiiM itself. Telling the WiiM to 'play' this file that your phone is making available (or the direct stream link in the case of a stream) and apply some DSP to it, is very fundamentally different from 'hey play this in real time'.

I know, it sounds absurd that it would be hard to stream real time audio over a network but it really is not as simple as it seems on the surface.
For a similar reason that the WDM driver won't work over DLNA, neither will the built in browser.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 11:01:38 am »

I would assume that the WiiM app does the majority of this stuff 'on' the WiiM itself. Telling the WiiM to 'play' this file that your phone is making available (or the direct stream link in the case of a stream) and apply some DSP to it, is very fundamentally different from 'hey play this in real time'.

I know, it sounds absurd that it would be hard to stream real time audio over a network but it really is not as simple as it seems on the surface.
For a similar reason that the WDM driver won't work over DLNA, neither will the built in browser.
No, the wiim box has no DSP. The live stream is captured by the app, DSP is applied by the app, result is sent to the box.
I am sure it is buffered, as there is a delay in playback.
jriver applies DSP to local files and sends it to wiim mini, through a buffer too.
Somewhere along the way, jriver crashes, and it is not because it is playing live to DLNA, it can apply a huge buffer and manage it, if buffer runs out, it would should stop or stutter, but crash?
it is something else.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 11:04:29 am »

idk why it is crashing, look in the log and see if you can see anything of interest

MC doesn't support this anyway though so it won't work anyway

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 11:11:51 am »

idk why it is crashing, look in the log and see if you can see anything of interest

MC doesn't support this anyway though so it won't work anyway
I shall.
Can you explain what you mean by the above (in bold), please?

eve

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 11:16:30 am »

No, the wiim box has no DSP. The live stream is captured by the app, DSP is applied by the app, result is sent to the box.
I am sure it is buffered, as there is a delay in playback.
jriver applies DSP to local files and sends it to wiim mini, through a buffer too.
Somewhere along the way, jriver crashes, and it is not because it is playing live to DLNA, it can apply a huge buffer and manage it, if buffer runs out, it would should stop or stutter, but crash?
it is something else.

Sorry it is not the answer you wanted to hear.

I will reiterate, real time audio transport over network is a thing but its significantly more complex than you're expecting unfortunately and your WiiM is not going to be the ideal device to do it with.

Dante VSC + Via is a nice starting point to get your feet wet. AES67 (specifically Ravenna) is where the real fun is.

https://www.ravenna-network.com

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 11:36:36 am »

Can you explain what you mean by the above (in bold), please?
MC does not support playback of a live input except to a directly connected audio device, by directly connected I mean something using an audio driver (asio, wasapi etc)

if you want that from an official source -> https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=126952.0

shAf

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 01:00:28 pm »

Are you saying that if you select a track with JRemote , the output of which aimed at the WiiM, that the WiiM converts the PCM to analog and then somehow converts that back to digital so that it can be sent out the SPDIF? That doesn’t make sense!

It makes more sense if the JRemote app simply tells the MC server to send the track’s PCM to the WiiM, which then routes the PCM out the SPDIF(?)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2023, 01:06:45 pm »

Are you saying that if you select a track with JRemote , the output of which aimed at the WiiM, that the WiiM converts the PCM to analog and then somehow converts that back to digital so that it can be sent out the SPDIF? That doesn’t make sense!

It makes more sense if the JRemote app simply tells the MC server to send the track’s PCM to the WiiM, which then routes the PCM out the SPDIF(?)
what makes you think the previous comment says the device is doing a D/A A/D conversion?

eve

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2023, 01:14:52 pm »

I don't really know where you got the 'first' part from but the second part, in a somewhat simple sense is what the WiiM does.
I'd venture a guess that the DSP you can control from the WiiM App is actually happening on the WiiM itself, the App is just telling the WiiM what to do.

shAf

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 02:34:34 pm »

I don't really know where you got the 'first' part from but the second part, in a somewhat simple sense is what the WiiM does.
I'd venture a guess that the DSP you can control from the WiiM App is actually happening on the WiiM itself, the App is just telling the WiiM what to do.

As to the first part, I suppose it was your statement “I would assume that the WiiM app does the majority of this stuff 'on' the WiiM itself. …”, together with me trying to wrap my mind around a previous statement regarding DLNA not being what the WiiM is intended to do, together with me not understanding the WiiM/JRiver relationship in the first place.

Regarding DLNA, I might tend to agree with you because the WiiM via the JRemote app is definitely not as sluggish as accessing the typical DLNA server. Its as if the server give JRemote exclusive access to the library catalog itself, rather than reading all the file tags one track at a time.

eve

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2023, 02:45:05 pm »

As to the first part, I suppose it was your statement “I would assume that the WiiM app does the majority of this stuff 'on' the WiiM itself. …”, together with me trying to wrap my mind around a previous statement regarding DLNA not being what the WiiM is intended to do, together with me not understanding the WiiM/JRiver relationship in the first place.
I'm not saying that the WiiM isn't intended for DLNA, what I'm saying is DLNA doesn't really 'work' for real time audio like you'd need for JRiver's WDM functionality.

eve

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 02:47:21 pm »

Regarding DLNA, I might tend to agree with you because the WiiM via the JRemote app is definitely not as sluggish as accessing the typical DLNA server. Its as if the server give JRemote exclusive access to the library catalog itself, rather than reading all the file tags one track at a time.
You're correct here (at least from when *I* used to use JRemote), JRemote doesn't use DLNA to list  or 'read' the library from your JRiver server.

shAf

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2023, 05:32:08 am »

You're correct here (at least from when *I* used to use JRemote), JRemote doesn't use DLNA to list  or 'read' the library from your JRiver server.

Check!

You made a statement regarding finding additional help at “the CAM” in another related thread. What is “the CAM”, and where can I find it?

eve

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2023, 08:50:47 am »

Check!

You made a statement regarding finding additional help at “the CAM” in another related thread. What is “the CAM”, and where can I find it?
Sorry for missing that.

Canuck Audio Mart!

shAf

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2023, 08:57:44 am »

Thanks Eve!

eve

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2023, 09:21:48 am »

Thanks Eve!
It's a great community. The classifieds feature is excellent for higher end audio and the forums are quite active.
Lots of dudes on there using the WiiM so maybe someone knows :)
My area of expertise is more consumer adjacent  :P

shAf

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2023, 10:04:39 am »

It's a great community. The classifieds feature is excellent for higher end audio and the forums are quite active.
Lots of dudes on there using the WiiM so maybe someone knows :)
My area of expertise is more consumer adjacent  :P

I agree! I sold a Cardas HP cable thru CAM, and purchased a relatively new pair of Fostex T60RP headcans that I had Argon modified…

… now, if I can only get a playlist to play to completion. I’m trying another optical cable that I considered much cheaper (i.e., w/o value) than what it replaced, and it is already playing track#8 w/o my help… go figure!

eve

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2023, 10:10:06 am »

I agree! I sold a Cardas HP cable thru CAM, and purchased a relatively new pair of Fostex T60RP headcans that I had Argon modified…

… now, if I can only get a playlist to play to completion. I’m trying another optical cable that I considered much cheaper (i.e., w/o value) than what it replaced, and it is already playing track#8 w/o my help… go figure!

The 'price' of optical cables really is irrelevant to their performance. Bottom of the barrel is never the smartest move but I can honestly say, I've gotten some dirt cheap no name ones that have had significantly better real world durability and construction compared to some higher end ones.

Optical is a meh method of communication, and really beyond having a well built, functional cable, it's performance comes down to the PLL implementation (essentially 'clock recovery') on the receiving device since most people will not be using a word clock between the participants.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2023, 11:02:28 am »

MC does not support playback of a live input except to a directly connected audio device, by directly connected I mean something using an audio driver (asio, wasapi etc)

if you want that from an official source -> https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=126952.0
Thanx for your reply, and I did read the link you provided.
I wonder why not!
Wiim mini and its app can send live streaming to wiim as a DLNA (bbc radio, Qubuz and Amazon etc.), so it can be done.
Why is it beyond JRiver?
Does the freebee wiim app know something, others don't?

eve

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2023, 11:06:45 am »

Thanx for your reply, and I did read the link you provided.
I wonder why not!
Wiim mini and its app can send live streaming to wiim as a DLNA (bbc radio, Qubuz and Amazon etc.), so it can be done.
Why is it beyond JRiver?
Does the freebee wiim app know something, others don't?

You're misunderstanding how this works and why 'actually' live, real time audio is very different.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2023, 11:11:52 am »

You're misunderstanding how this works and why 'actually' live, real time audio is very different.
I am beginning to agree with you.
What I don't get (among others) is the fact that many LIVE streams are being played by Wiim mini app. So the app is doing something!
Perhaps it has an exclusive method of talking to the mini, that is not DLNA.
If one app can stream to it LIVE, why another can not?
By live, I mean radio stations, podcasts, Qubuz etc.
And the app can do some DSP to it before hand, such as EQ.

eve

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2023, 11:17:18 am »

I am beginning to agree with you.
hat I don't get (among others) is the fact that many LIVE streams are being played by Wiim mini app. So the app is doing something!
Perhaps it has an exclusive method of doing it, that is not DLNA.
If one app can stream to it LIVE, why another can not?

You're conflating like, a live broadcast (the equivalent of like a live Youtube stream) with a 'live audio' source. They're entirely different things, just because live is in there doesn't really mean what you think it does.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2023, 11:20:13 am »

Is BBC radio live?
Can jriver send any streaming to wiim? even from the streaming section within jriver?

eve

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2023, 11:23:39 am »

Is BBC radio live?
They record it all months in advance and have been doing so for a number of decades.

/s

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2023, 11:26:27 am »

They record it all months in advance and have been doing so for a number of decades.

/s
Very good, so why jriver can not send it to wiim?
JRiver has a streaming section within itself, but none can be sent to wiim.
What about streaming DACs? are they all useless when it comes to streaming services? at least as far as JRiver is concerned.
I am after a solution to my problem, I am not arguing the inner workings of DLNA.
If one app can do it, why is it so nigh impossible for another to do it.

eve

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2023, 11:33:32 am »

What about streaming DACs? are they all useless when it comes to streaming services? at least as far as JRiver is concerned.
I am after a solution to my problem, I am not arguing the inner workings of DLNA.

Sorry, going back, my joke sounded mean (I had an absolute banger about hologram Attenborough though). I apologize.

What is a "streaming DAC" by your definition?

shAf

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2023, 11:44:57 am »

JRemote does offer a select group of sources available for streaming, however they’re either from Radio Paradise or JRiver, but you can route them to the WiiM. Admittedly, JRemote needs the capability of streaming from a specific URL…

eve

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2023, 11:53:58 am »

JRemote does offer a select group of sources available for streaming, however they’re either from Radio Paradise or JRiver, but you can route them to the WiiM. Admittedly, JRemote needs the capability of streaming from a specific URL…

It's possible if you could feed the WiiM a specific URL that you could create compatible stream with the 'source' being an audio sink on your PC, and select JRiver to render to that sink device. There would be significant latency and the clock would be entirely free running from the source device. This can be a problem if you're expecting for example, tight lip sync.

https://wiimhome.com/pdf/HTTP%20API%20for%20WiiM%20Mini.pdf

Should give you a starting point. No idea if this is actually possible in practice, but you can tell it to go access an HTTP stream

eve

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2023, 12:05:39 pm »

-

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2023, 01:26:59 pm »

Interesting results.
On another forum, a helpful member (hint hint) suggested using SWYH ( https://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/ )
This app can send a live stream of any kind and route it to a UPNP DLNA renderer.
Somehow I couldn't get it to work with wiim.
HOWEVER ...!
On my PC which is connected directly to my DC by Toslink, I started JRiver, set it as a DLNA renderer.  I then on my laptop, started SWYH, and set it to send audio from laptop (playing Amazon Music) to JRiver on the PC, which is running the renderer.
What do you know! it works!
The live stream is captured by jriver on the PC , DSP is applied, and goes to my DAC, and plays.
And it works up to 24/192/
Just one issue!
Any glitches, and jriver on PC crashes, but not too often.
So I got it working.
What was that, about live source and DLNA ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2023, 01:42:54 pm »

On my PC which is connected directly to my DC by Toslink, I started JRiver, set it as a DLNA renderer.  I then on my laptop, started SWYH, and set it to send audio from laptop (playing Amazon Music) to JRiver on the PC, which is running the renderer.
You could also do that with JRiver's WDM driver.  It can act as a sound driver for any application running on the PC, including the web browser.  The wiki has a topic on WDM.

eve

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2023, 01:54:32 pm »

Interesting results.
On another forum, a helpful member (hint hint) suggested using SWYH ( https://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/ )
This app can send a live stream of any kind and route it to a UPNP DLNA renderer.
Somehow I couldn't get it to work with wiim.
HOWEVER ...!
The live stream is captured by jriver on the PC , DSP is applied, and goes to my DAC, and plays.
And it works up to 24/192/
Just one issue!
Any glitches, and jriver on PC crashes, but not too often.
So I got it working.
What was that, about live source and DLNA ?

You're working around it, much as I suggested could probably be done by creating the right kind of stream with a sink as it's 'source' and then telling the WiiM to go play it.
It's not an issue with DLNA 'directly' more so, how you have to trick DLNA to work with something like this, and the associated latency issues with it.

To be clear, what you're doing right now is playing music on the laptop and receiving the signal on your PC? Also the documentation for SWYH seems to indicate it only does 16bit PCM but that may be outdated.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2023, 02:26:44 pm »

You could also do that with JRiver's WDM driver.  It can act as a sound driver for any application running on the PC, including the web browser.  The wiki has a topic on WDM.
I don't think you have been following this thread.
The issue was, that I could output to WDM, but then I couldn't send it to a remote DLNA (wiim mini), WDM and DLNA renderer don't go together.
So now I am using jriver on my PC as the renderer, and it works.
In fact on my laptop, I have enabled WDM driver, and I send my streaming music from their apps or browser to WDM driver, and then send the WDM driver using SWYH to another JRiver (on my PC).
Doing it this way, windows mixer leavers the WDM driver alone.
Thanx for replying never the less.
While you are here, why not add the facility on new builds?
I mean WDM driver in > apply DSP > send to remote UPNP or DLNA renderer.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2023, 02:29:05 pm »

the point is that MC can't do this alone, i.e. you can use MC as a DLNA renderer and play "live" content to your DAC but you can't use MC as an "WDM renderer" and play that same "live" content to your DAC 

it definitely is a gap in the MC feature set to my mind (no comment offered on priority of closing that gap)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2023, 02:31:16 pm »

DLNA is file based.  You can't play a stream to it.

I understood that the link between the PC and the playback device was direct, not via network.  USB, etc.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2023, 02:39:09 pm »

You're working around it, much as I suggested could probably be done by creating the right kind of stream with a sink as it's 'source' and then telling the WiiM to go play it.
It's not an issue with DLNA 'directly' more so, how you have to trick DLNA to work with something like this, and the associated latency issues with it.

To be clear, what you're doing right now is playing music on the laptop and receiving the signal on your PC? Also the documentation for SWYH seems to indicate it only does 16bit PCM but that may be outdated.
Bottom line, a live source does play on a DLNA!
Yes I am playing the music, using Amazon app > jriver WDM > SWYH > remote jriver DLNA renderer > toslink DAC.
The jriver on the laptop is not active. The only reason I am using its WDM, is because as a non-default sound device, windows mixer will leave it alone.
I couldn't make SWYH to play to wiim, for now! Perhaps in the future.
I am listening to the setup at 24/192 now.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2023, 02:41:15 pm »

DLNA is file based.  You can't play a stream to it.

I understood that the link between the PC and the playback device was direct, not via network.  USB, etc.
the mentioned app has source code here -> https://github.com/StreamWhatYouHear/SWYH/blob/master/SWYH/UPnP/SwyhDevice.cs

it appears to be quite simple & reads from a wasapi device and writes that to a "file" which it sends via DLNA with a header "transfermode.dlna.org" set to Streaming

eve

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2023, 02:46:04 pm »

the mentioned app has source code here -> https://github.com/StreamWhatYouHear/SWYH/blob/master/SWYH/UPnP/SwyhDevice.cs

it appears to be quite simple & reads from a wasapi device and writes that to a "file" which it sends via DLNA with a header "transfermode.dlna.org" set to Streaming
Yeah, sadly it's only 16bit. It doesn't *seem* to limit the sample rate though?

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2023, 02:52:05 pm »

If a simple free app can do it, I am sure future builds of JRiver can too!  :)
BTW, it is good all the way to 24/192, which is what WDM is limited to, perhaps it can do 32/768, who knows (or cares!).

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2023, 02:54:14 pm »

Yeah, sadly it's only 16bit. It doesn't *seem* to limit the sample rate though?
the settings suggest it is 32/44.1/48 kHz only but it uses https://github.com/naudio/NAudio/blob/master/Docs/WasapiLoopbackCapture.md which appears to just use the device as is without resampling

eve

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2023, 02:54:43 pm »

If a simple free app can do it, I am sure future builds of JRiver can too!  :)
BTW, it is good all the way to 24/192, which is what WDM is limited to, perhaps it can do 32/768, who knows (or cares!).
I mean, it says in the source code that it's 16bit and your screenshot does say "(padded)"

Off topic but is this new guys? Does JRiver now detect 16bit in a 24bit container?

eve

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2023, 02:56:15 pm »

the settings suggest it is 32/44.1/48 kHz only but it uses https://github.com/naudio/NAudio/blob/master/Docs/WasapiLoopbackCapture.md which appears to just use the device as is without resampling

You're right. Got confused by the '.LoopbackL16Stream.Read' part
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up