INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streamer stops playing after 1-2 tracks [Solved]  (Read 1213 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Streamer stops playing after 1-2 tracks [Solved]
« on: March 04, 2023, 11:05:59 am »

I’m not seeing many WiiM streamer users here, but I have hopes my problem might be common to some other streamers, and that it might be remedied by a MC setting…

My WiiM Mini streamer is used in my bedroom to stream bitperfect PCM (via S/PDIF) to my DAC-amp stack. It is connecting to my MC30 media server (via LAN/DLNA), and the WiiM’s output is showing up as an alternative “zone” for playback using the JRemote app. This had been working seamlessly and flawlessly for several months.

My problem now is that JRemote will not finish a playlist, but will simply stop as if it had. The next track will play if I click on it, but will still quit after playing only a few tracks. I am not able to correlate this behaviour with any recent change that I’ve made, but MC and WiiM are both configured for automatic updates. Whereas I was having this problem with MC29 (64bit, Windows 10 Pro), I’ve upgraded to MC30 (v.30.0.66), and I’m still experiencing the same problem.

WiiM’s own app will play an entire album fine. The other reason to suspect either the MC server or the JRemote app is because the JRemote app, both versions for Android and iOS, exhibit the same problem, while the WiiM software’s access works fine.

My primary problem is that I don’t know enough how streamers with with the MC server to know how to best troubleshoot this problem and provide my peer users with the appropriate symptoms and test results. I suppose I might be able to include a portion of the server’s log, but in looking at it I cannot find a reverence to the WiiM’s IP address at all(?) How do I copy the server’s activity log?

Please advise, and thanks in advance…
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

eve

Re: Streamer stops playing after 1-2 tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 12:52:58 pm »

I’m not seeing many WiiM streamer users here, but I have hopes my problem might be common to some other streamers, and that it might be remedied by a MC setting…

My WiiM Mini streamer is used in my bedroom to stream bitperfect PCM (via S/PDIF) to my DAC-amp stack. It is connecting to my MC30 media server (via LAN/DLNA), and the WiiM’s output is showing up as an alternative “zone” for playback using the JRemote app. This had been working seamlessly and flawlessly for several months.

My problem now is that JRemote will not finish a playlist, but will simply stop as if it had. The next track will play if I click on it, but will still quit after playing only a few tracks. I am not able to correlate this behaviour with any recent change that I’ve made, but MC and WiiM are both configured for automatic updates. Whereas I was having this problem with MC29 (64bit, Windows 10 Pro), I’ve upgraded to MC30 (v.30.0.66), and I’m still experiencing the same problem.

WiiM’s own app will play an entire album fine. The other reason to suspect either the MC server or the JRemote app is because the JRemote app, both versions for Android and iOS, exhibit the same problem, while the WiiM software’s access works fine.

My primary problem is that I don’t know enough how streamers with with the MC server to know how to best troubleshoot this problem and provide my peer users with the appropriate symptoms and test results. I suppose I might be able to include a portion of the server’s log, but in looking at it I cannot find a reverence to the WiiM’s IP address at all(?) How do I copy the server’s activity log?

Please advise, and thanks in advance…

Ah, a fellow Canadian. There's a number of people on CAM using the WiiM (and a number of people using JRiver, though not sure if anyone is pairing them), maybe someone on there has more answers?

shAf

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 01:02:24 pm »

Ah, a fellow Canadian. There's a number of people on CAM using the WiiM (and a number of people using JRiver, though not sure if anyone is pairing them), maybe someone on there has more answers?

… “the CAM”? How do I access “the CAM”?

shAf

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 09:17:24 pm »

Just to finish off this thread… it turns out the problem was the optical cable. And, because the problem was just as likely to be with 16bit tracks, it cannot be blamed on the usial 96kHz vs 192kHz limitation…

… in any case, I’m now again enjoying playlists without interventions  :)

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 07:26:59 pm »

Just to finish off this thread… it turns out the problem was the optical cable. And, because the problem was just as likely to be with 16bit tracks, it cannot be blamed on the usial 96kHz vs 192kHz limitation…

… in any case, I’m now again enjoying playlists without interventions  :)

Hmmm … what do you mean by “the optical cable”. Did you change it to a new one?? Asking because I have a similar issue. It doesn’t just stop, but there is some white noise as well. Let me know and I’ll just skidaddle outta here and get a new cable!

shAf

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 09:15:45 pm »

Hmmm … what do you mean by “the optical cable”. Did you change it to a new one?? Asking because I have a similar issue. It doesn’t just stop, but there is some white noise as well. Let me know and I’ll just skidaddle outta here and get a new cable!

Yes… I had swapped the cable to stock, replacing what I thought would be a shorter more durable cable.

If you’re doing the same method as me—accessing the JR server with the WiiM—one thing you can try is making sure the server is set up correctly. Forgive me for not having access at the moment, but during the configuration you should be prompted with a list of server types relative to output/purpose. The context may have been configuring DLNA.The correct one to choose is the one that implies “as original”.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streamer stops playing after 1-2 tracks [Solved]
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 12:56:31 am »

Make sure both ends of the cable are fully seated.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 11:39:17 am »

A defective optical cable / connection can produce excess noise, crackling, and pops in the audio output.

Basic quick test of an optical cable:  Disconnect the output end and hold it a few mm from a piece of white paper in a darkened room, and play music.  If it's a good cable operating at a visible red wavelength, you should easily see a round circularly symmetric output beam pattern on the paper.  If operating at an invisible infrared wavelength, try viewing it with a phone camera (though some phone cameras may have an IR blocking filter).  When the cable is jiggled the output pattern shape should remain essentially stable (aside from minor speckle variation).

In contrast, a defective optical cable often has a lumpy, uneven, weak, variable pattern instead of a uniform, bright, symmetric, stable one.  Similarly if cable is not properly seated at the source end, or if source is defective.  Viewing also provides a rough comparison of optical cables.   

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 11:10:02 am »

Got a better cable and also lowered to output bitrate to 96 (and the DLNA server’s output to 96 as well through DSL). All is purring perfectly now!

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 04:37:44 pm »

Oh! Forgot to say that I also disabled SetNext (right-clicking on the DLNA device on the Playing Now pane and selecting DLNA controller options). In some ways, I feel that may have been the real culprit, but I don't feel like testing at this point when I can enjoy instead!
Pages: [1]   Go Up