INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Registration Your Way  (Read 1541 times)

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
Registration Your Way
« on: February 27, 2003, 01:14:48 pm »

I was told to write emails about this topic publiclly as opposed to privately so here goes. I have had your product for some time and  have gone through the ins and outs of this version 9 beta thing along with everyone else.  Given that we are dealing with numerous beta versions and I have from time to time eaten up restorations always using my orignial data but always eating up one of the magic 10, I am beginning to be concerned about your policy regarding this issue. I am once again having to restore with my original registration number because the old one has expired and I need to do a clean install of media center  because of issues I had with the prior version.  I am not complaining about the issues with the prior version or the need to reinstall. I am merely concerned about this whole restoration thing. A response that says don't worry about it, trust  us isn't really an answer, and your company did not want to handle it one on one. I don't mean to cause a big problem here, but do want an answer that I can rely on.  Don't want to make some broad statement in a public forum? I tried to get a private answer but you are not interested in doing that. I have written about this before and gotten no answer.  Yet if it were another issue you would respond immediately. You have such a good product and such good service in other areas, I do not understand why this always gets scant attention, and am not asking you to explain it. The last answer I got was a rude It's our program and we'll do as we like,.  I did not try to lawyer you or reprimand you at that point and do not do so now. Simply answer how you intend to resolve this kind of issue.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Registration Your Way
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 01:30:41 pm »

Our licensing represents what we believe is a fair compromise between freedom and protection.

Keep in mind that 10 restores is more than one person can reasonably use in a year. (30 day trial + 14 day license * 10 = 440 days per year)  So, we're certainly not trying to make it so paying customers can't use MC.

Thanks for understanding.

(all restores will be reset when 9.0 is released)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 02:37:50 pm »

(all restores will be reset when 9.0 is released)

that really does take a load off of my mind.

In other words, when 9.0 is released the the public, all of us who purchaed the beta will have our restores reset to 10, no matter how many licence resores we've doen durring the beta process.

Correct?
Keeping the world safe for short SIGs

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 02:53:56 pm »

Yes.  Correct.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 02:54:42 pm »

JimH already said that when MC9 comes out of Beta they will reset all the restores, I think about 3 times, maybe more.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 03:39:36 pm »

King:  I would agree whole heartedly with what you have stated.  JimH has said many times that restores would be reset when the final version of v9 is released.  I beleive that was even the case with v8, after the change in licensing occurred.  However, and not to be argumentative, I think it would be hard to have picked up on that, as I don't think there were any threads that specifically dealt with that issue alone.  Of course, I am sure someone can prove me wrong, by doing a search, but my guess is that there would be hundreds of returns based on that word.  

Anyway, maybe something could be added to one of the sticky topics at the top of the list that addresses this to put people at ease that don't have daily interaction with interact, or that don't have the benefit of understanding that J River will do anything within reason to make sure there customers are happy.

Just my 2 cents!

Drew

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2003, 04:10:14 pm »

When I Used MJ8 I used 2 Restores

Since I have been using MC9 I used 1

Before I run out of restores J River will be on MC21, and I would have upgraded.

I just don't think it is something to freq out about.

Of course then again there are people still using MSDOS 3.1 and wonder why programs don't run on it.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Autoelph

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2003, 08:26:31 pm »

King, in many ways you are correct, but understand that not everyone is familiar with the way JRiver is doing it, and it is a bit unnerving at first. True, rarely will people come close to using the 10 restores in a year but it's hard to imagine when you're facing the year ahead and wondering what perils lay in wait.

And the diplomatic approach here is: the guys at JRiver work very hard every day to help create this product that many enjoy, and their efforts need to be protected in a somewhat nefarious environment such as the software-internet rip-off scene so many others enjoy to provoke. It's just reality, as real as the unfortunate war that awaits. Yea, life is heavy sometimes, but worrying about your restores should be considered lightly. It's going to be ok, really. ;)

sraymond

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2003, 09:26:02 pm »

JimH already said that when MC9 comes out of Beta they will reset all the restores, I think about 3 times, maybe more.

Not everyone has the time (or energy) to read every (or even a majority) of the posts that get written.

It's a good (valid) question, that got an even better answer.  But I don't think they guy should be begrudged for asking!

With a pending war, we can use peace wherever we might find (or make) it.

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up