More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

JRVR Video Renderer

<< < (39/45) > >>

Hendrik:
Blu-ray DV should always be profile 7, not sure I saw any other DV on BD.  But regardless of that, the difference will of course depend on the mastering of the movie. It might have an impact, it might not. It all depends on what they put in there. Profile 7 also has an (optional) enhancement layer thats not supported yet. 8.1 is only metadata.

lello:
Thanks Hendrik for the explanations.

In fact Top Gun, among the ones I have, is the only one with Profile 8.1

So at the moment it is not convenient for me to convert BDs to mkv, but to wait for the enhancement layer to be supported.

DocCharky:
So, I came back to JRiver/JRVR after a few weeks playing again with MPC-BE/madvr.

I noticed that, in NVCP, the "power managment mode" MUST be set to "prefer maximum performance" when using JRiver, otherwhise I get random dropped frames that might or might have not existed a couple of month ago (maybe I just didn't notice at the time... but I doubt that  :P).

I have a RTX 3090 which should be able to swallow any JRVR setting. Yet, when the NVCP "power managment mode" setting is set to "adaptive", JRVR render times are way (WAY) higher.

Take a 2160p23 DV file on a HDR 4K screen (LG C2). No luma upscaling (obviously), HDR passthrough (so no DTM), audio bitstreaming. JRVR Settings are default "quality preset" + adaptive sharpen 50.

With "adaptive" : 10ms avg / 20ms to 30ms peak (on OSD... probably a bit higher, of frames wouldn't drop, would they?...)
With "Maximum performance" : 1.4ms avg / 1.5-2.5ms peak

I don't know if it's a driver bug, a JRVR bug, or a nvidia power management "feature". In my untrained eyes, it feels that, even with "adaptive" setting, the GPU should switch to a "performance" state when JRiver is on and actually using GPU power. But it's probably way more complicated than that from a dev point of view :D

I still felt it was worth reporting though :)

EDIT : okay, so it's a super-known issue  :D

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136395.msg944765.html#msg944765

Oh well, now there's one more post for dummies like me to find a solution  ;D

Hendrik:
The next build of Media Center will include an update to libplacebo, resulting in a whole bunch of changes in JRVR.

* Improved dynamic tone mapping
The peak detection is now much more responsive, which should result in a more even tone mapping on fast brightness changes in the scene. Additionally, the tone mapping curve has been re-tuned for overall a better behavior.
For easier analysis, the detected peak and average brightness will now be shown on the OSD.
* New and improved scaling algorithms
Most scaling algorithms have been tuned for improved performance. And we have two new algorithms, JincSharp, a sharpened version of Jinc, with 3 and 4 taps. And the Hermite filter for downscaling, a very low-cost filter close to the performance of bilinear, but with much higher quality.
* Completely re-designed caching
We can now cache shaders more efficiently, as well as caching various LUTs used in rendering, eg. for gamut mapping, or the generated ICC LUT, which should result in a faster startup of the renderer.Of course these are only the highlights, and many small tweaks and improvements went into this update.

These changes will be available in 31.0.60

SamuriHL:
That's exciting.  I look forward to testing them out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version