More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

JRVR Video Renderer

<< < (40/45) > >>

Gedeon:
Thanks for the great job.

I have a question before starting to test. Is about DV metadata being used. I don't know if the DV metadata is used like LLDV processing in some devices. I mean, a DV tone mapping in a BT.2020 color space done before the frame is sent to the display.  I guess that JRVR injects the HDR format info frame so HDR10 compatible frame instead DV frame is sent. So non-DV displays can, at least, get a fully HDR10 compatible frame, but with the DV tone mapping applied.

A bit confused, to be honest, about this.

My display is a 77 inch Samsung OLED TV.

Thanks in advance.

Hendrik:
DV metadata is used to transform the image into HDR10. The DV tone mapping data to tone map to SDR is not used at this time.

Gedeon:

--- Quote from: Hendrik on September 28, 2023, 05:51:58 am ---DV metadata is used to transform the image into HDR10. The DV tone mapping data to tone map to SDR is not used at this time.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Maybe I'm wrong I just know how, by example, Nvidia shield with Kodi Nerds compilation always send DV frames (if DV layer is found in the hevc stream), no matter if display support it or not. Zidoo Z9X also admits EDID editing to use this trick.

But there are two kinds of DV frames it can send.

-) Standard DV frames, are tagged as DV frames and DV metadata is send attached to the frames so the DV display should finally apply a tone mapping/curve  before frame is shown. DV color space is used.

A fully DV compatible display is needed for this, since a last step needs to be performed by the display

-) LLDV DV frames, are tagged as LLDV, but player applies DV metadata (tone mapping/curve) before the frame is sent and BT.2020 is used. So the frame sent is basically an HDR10 frame.

A display able to recognize that tag, and/or a display able to interpret those frames, simply, as HDR10 is more than enough. That trick has been used by projectors and non-DV display owners to enjoy DV content without DV displays. At least an HDFury is needed for most displays (adding hdr info frame) since the LLDV frames should be tagged as HDR10. If not, the display won't enable HDR10 and the LLDV frames will be processed as SDR, so wrong image.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dolby-vision-including-hdr10-conversion-w-dtm-on-projectors.3097934/

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/alternative-devices-for-enabling-lldv-please-read-posts-1-2.3254266/

Could it be possible to implement this process/profile in JRVR ?

JRVR would be the only product able to play DV files with correct rendering in every HDR10 compatible display without needing more elements.

Hendrik:
It is not possible to send DV metadata from a PC at this time. You will get a HDR10/BT.2020 image from DV sources with JRVR already, and the DV metadata is being applied to the image to transform it as the DV metadata indicates. This works with any HDR10 screen (or even SDR screens), no DV support is needed.

Gedeon:

--- Quote from: Hendrik on September 28, 2023, 06:19:40 am ---It is not possible to send DV metadata from a PC at this time. You will get a HDR10/BT.2020 image from DV sources with JRVR already, and the DV metadata is being applied to the image to transform it as the DV metadata indicates. This works with any HDR10 screen (or even SDR screens), no DV support is needed.

--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot.

I guess It's time to test it !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version