More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

JRVR Video Renderer

<< < (43/45) > >>

mattkhan:
posted in https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,137445.msg952927.html

mattkhan:
I just noticed all my monitor specific configuration has been wiped again and then get bit by the same "MC clients don't auto backup their settings regularly" problem as last time.

I do have an older backup (that I took the last time this happened) but is there any way to selectively restore just some particular set of JRVR config? I was thinking of hacking just the snippet the ini files out of the backup zip which is pretty hacky

I think there's got to be a better way to manage this config as that's twice in a few months that the config has been wiped without any intervention on my part (and no clue when it happened so no obvious way to find out). Given it's monitor specific config, this would be plausible but not v helpful behaviour

disconnect a known monitor
restart machine (and/or MC alone)
MC discards any configuration for monitors that aren't connected thus losing all your config
reconnect monitor
restart machine/MC
MC now starts from a blank slate again

it's just a guess, no clue if MC does this

mattkhan:
it can't be that as I hacked that config back into position, restored the backup and restarted. The profiles are still not present but a new backup does contain that hacked in data.

Now I can see that the monitor id has changed for some reason

[JRVR\\Monitors\\??DISPLAY#JKC9070#5&2cf56480&0&UID372993#{e6f07b5f-ee97-4a90-b076-33f57bf4eaa7}]
[JRVR\\Monitors\\??DISPLAY#JKC9070#5&27b3c7a3&0&UID372994#{e6f07b5f-ee97-4a90-b076-33f57bf4eaa7}]

just the fragment in the middle (2cf56480&0&UID372993 vs 27b3c7a3&0&UID372994)

where does this value come from?

what can be done to insulate JRVR config from this sort of thing? e.g. I can see that the last token appears to be some form of guid, do we need the other values to form a unique id?

NB: manually fixing the monitor id and restoring was ultimately the way to get back into business, definitely not ideal

Hendrik:
Windows provides an opaque unique identifier for the screen. We don't interpret it or anything like that, just use it.

MC does not delete any information for missing monitors. Whatever happened in all of those situations likely just caused Windows to change your ID.

mattkhan:
it's logical but still a pretty terrible user experience to find all your config has completely disappeared, MC hasn't noticed and there's no visible reason for it to have happened given that the visible name of the monitor hasn't changed but you can still hack your way through some internal ini files to recover it if you happened to take a backup :)

e.g. MC could see that a named monitor has been replaced and offer to migrate the config for you, problem solved

in the end, there's an MC bug here because if MC relies on an ID generated by windows for some user config and that id is not stable then MC does not have a stable/reliable approach to managing important config.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version