More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

JRVR Video Renderer

<< < (7/45) > >>

Hendrik:

--- Quote from: mattkhan on April 17, 2023, 09:05:54 am ---Do you think custom shader support can be exposed sooner rather than later btw?

--- End quote ---

Full custom has some additional considerations I need to think about.

As for the geometry shader, I talked to the author of it and he agreed to let us integrate it. So I might do that first.

mattkhan:

--- Quote from: Hendrik on April 17, 2023, 11:59:54 am ---Full custom has some additional considerations I need to think about.

As for the geometry shader, I talked to the author of it and he agreed to let us integrate it. So I might do that first.

--- End quote ---
sounds great

SamuriHL:

--- Quote from: Hendrik on April 17, 2023, 11:54:44 am ---Verify settings maybe? HDR pass-through enabled in the JRVR config?

I could see metadata arrive with my HDFury Arcana.

Tone mapping with HDR output is coming once I put in the options for that, I assume within the next two weeks maybe.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure what's going on with it.  After rebooting I could see it was 1000 nits but the rest of the metadata was still 0.  I'll hold off on further testing until HDR output is available and see what happens then.  That'll be huge for me.

mattkhan:

--- Quote from: Hendrik on April 17, 2023, 09:47:40 am ---If you want to read about the major changes, only really the libplacebo changelog is where any information can be found. We are shipping a git master snapshot from yesterday.

gamut mapping: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/libplacebo/-/commit/64099247d799272b9c72997c0fc834426b02ccee
tone mapping: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/libplacebo/-/commit/c378870595d3254490183352057d07359da4d54c

Alas, I couldn't find any good one about the new histogram based peak measurements. And there are more tweaks and improvements all around.

Summary:
- Fancy math to improve gamut mapping (eg. reducing BT.2020 to BT.709), resulting in improved details
- Tone mapping is now done in the IPTQc4 colorspace, which improves the quality (its a derivative specified by Dolby of the ICtCp/IPT colorspace, designed for image processing)
- Histogram for peak detection, improving the peak and average brightness values, excluding outliers

Some of the other features related to that will need hooking up to settings and providing the necessary metadata, those changes will come over the next builds.

--- End quote ---
using a JVC N7 with filter in place (native gamut is roughly DCI-P3) and comparing madvr b113 (with a particular compromise option turned on which is required for reasonable performance) with the above says that jrvr is noticeably more saturated, whether it's too saturated or madvr is undersaturated is hard to say but I am leaning towards saying it looks too much on jrvr (visually I suspect it is that red is too saturated)

one question, is target peak nits in jrvr meant to be set to the actual peak nits of your display or does it have some other meaning (c.f. madvr which has some not at all obvious config options)

Hendrik:
If you are outputting SDR, I would recommend to try a range of target nit values, from whatever your peak is to slightly above or below it (depending where it is), and see how it looks, as the perceived result can depend on environment factors as well.
Especially if your target nit is pretty low (as many projectors are), I would try aiming a bit higher.

SDR doesn't really have a proper reference nit, so you definitely get some freedom here. We don't tonemap SDR content to your display either, after all.

If the result feels very oversaturated, I would also make sure that the gamut etc are all set properly to match the _wire format_ the display expects. A too narrow gamut on the renderer's side would result in oversaturation on the display.

If your display is DCI-P3, which seems to be what most content is in anyway, then no gamut compression would need to take place, and saturation should not really be impacted by the renderer. Unless of course your file is one of those that uses actual BT.2020 colors.
If gamut compression is being performed there are also options to impact the behavior that are not exposed, but right now its using the recommended perceptual method, which has a good balance between preserving hue, saturation and brightness. Alternatives will focus more on one of those three properties, sacrificing the others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version