INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloudplay feature request - Artist not in my existing library  (Read 565 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!

Hi.  I would love to have a feature added for CloudPlay maybe in the "Rules" section that tells it not to include Artists, Albums, Tracks that already exist in my local library.

I think it defeats the purpose of CloudPlay if it is going to play stuff for me that I already have?

In fact if I have it I would rather it played from my own local library to 1. save on internet bandwidth and 2. My local copy is most likely in a higher quality (24/96 or 24/192 / DSF etc...)

Would like to use it to discover new (to me) Music.

Thanks.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cloudplay feature request - Artist not in my existing library
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 01:10:20 am »

It currently does use your local library when you have the track.

Try using Play Doctor.  It lets you tell MC how much Cloudplay material to use.  Check its settings.

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 01:31:36 am »

I have done that in the past but it always seemed to play a lot of stuff I already own.  Maybe from a different album like a "Greatest hits", "Anthology" or "Live" collection or something like that.  But nevertheless it seems to play via cloudPlay a lot of stuff that already exists in my local library.

maybe offer a filter like if "Artist" - "Name" are matched in my local library then skip it? or at least play the version already in my local library though it be on a different physical album?

Thanks.

Carl

jctcom

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 01:09:13 pm »

It currently does use your local library when you have the track.

Try using Play Doctor.  It lets you tell MC how much Cloudplay material to use.  Check its settings.

Just tested with Play Doctor.  Set it to play 30% from CloudPlay.  about 50% of the songs it played from CloudPlay exist in my library.  Same Song, Artist, Album except mine are higher quality (24/192 or 24/96) and it added / played a 16Bit / 44.1kHz version.

Carl

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 04:01:37 pm »

If you have the song in your library, MC will use that so it's not consuming your bandwidth.

jctcom

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 01:48:58 am »

If you have the song in your library, MC will use that so it's not consuming your bandwidth.
I do understand what it is supposed to do.  What I am saying is that it isn't doing it properly.

I set the CloudPlay to 30% and then selected Styx - Equinox (Album) as the track to base it on.  Below are images from the Playlist followed by an image of the same Artist, Track, Album in my local library.  This is from the first 23 tracks in the playlist of which 13 are from CloudPlay.  Of the 13 tracks there are 7 that exist in my local library.  Some of them are different format (DSD vs. Flac) or different sample rate (24/96 vs. 16/44.1 etc).  But they are the same artist, Album & Track name.  So they should not be playing from CloudPlay.  Not sure how to embed the photos.  So 6 attachments in this message and 6 in the next message

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 01:51:16 am »

Here are the other 6. 

jctcom

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 11:13:12 pm »

As noted. This does not seem to be working as you described.  It would be nice if it were updated to do so.

Thanks.

Carl.

ScottTheGrue

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 09:16:36 am »

I also would like this feature.   However,  it think it's one of those things that seems simple on the surface,  but gets really complicated in its implementation. 

For example,  your attached screen shots show both a local copy and a cloudplay copy of the song I'm Okay by Styx.    But technically,  it looks like the song names are different  (your local version has a number '2. ' in it),  the song durations are different (local version is 5:44, cloudplay version is 5:45),  album names are different (local version has the year as part of the album name,  cloudplay doesn't).     

So the functionality of determining if these two songs are 'the same'  becomes an exercise in probablistic matching (the process of using statistical analysis to determine the overall likelihood that two songs match).

The metadata that is posted by users to CloudPlay leaves a lot to be desired.    That's why I find myself using the CloudPlay download playlist feature to get the cloudplay song pointer into my local library, fixing the tags,  and manually add it to my other local playlists.

jctcom

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 12:29:32 pm »

I also would like this feature.   However,  it think it's one of those things that seems simple on the surface,  but gets really complicated in its implementation. 

For example,  your attached screen shots show both a local copy and a cloudplay copy of the song I'm Okay by Styx.    But technically,  it looks like the song names are different  (your local version has a number '2. ' in it),  the song durations are different (local version is 5:44, cloudplay version is 5:45),  album names are different (local version has the year as part of the album name,  cloudplay doesn't).     

So the functionality of determining if these two songs are 'the same'  becomes an exercise in probablistic matching (the process of using statistical analysis to determine the overall likelihood that two songs match).

The metadata that is posted by users to CloudPlay leaves a lot to be desired.    That's why I find myself using the CloudPlay download playlist feature to get the cloudplay song pointer into my local library, fixing the tags,  and manually add it to my other local playlists.
Although this is true for that one incident (And I think one other in the screen shots I provided (Unfortunately I just noticed that for some reason the screenshots posted do not have the full image as they are on my local computer). The other noted instances are identical in Song title, Album Name, & Song length.  I don't expect it to perfect but I do at least expect it to resolve instances like this which are identical in all respects.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up