INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is Tools > Options > CD & DVD ?  (Read 580 times)

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
Where is Tools > Options > CD & DVD ?
« on: May 20, 2023, 11:14:09 am »

I want to turn off autoplay for audio CDs.
The wiki says I should go Tools > Options > CD&DVD https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/CD_Settings
However I don't see CD & DVD under Tools > Options

Where has it gone?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
Re: Where is Tools > Options > CD & DVD ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 11:36:52 am »

see attached pic

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 11:51:17 am »

I'll have a look there, but it is autoplay that I want to turn off, for CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 12:31:12 pm »

Had you tried my suggestion before replying, you would've seen that enabling the feature I pointed to, "turns on" the CD, DVD & BD category in the options tree, at which point you would then have access to the autoplay options. 

CD ripping is a poor choice for the feature name since it includes many more settings than just CD ripping (e.g., auto-play for all optical disc types), nevertheless that is what you need to enable to see all the CD DVD BD options. You may have to also enable DVD ripping checkbox while you're at it. 

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 12:49:51 pm »

OK, thank you.
I'm away from my PC at the moment so haven't been able to try your suggestion.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 02:32:32 pm »

Options has a search window at the bottom.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 07:54:06 pm »

Options has a search window at the bottom.
But... If you don't have the CD ripping feature enabled, an options search will not turn up auto-play.

Another interesting tidbit: if the DVD ripping feature is enabled, but CD ripping is NOT, the Options dialog does not list any DVD settings.  In other words, DVD ripping option is dependent on the CD ripping option being enabled as well.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 11:27:56 am »

OK, so I have checked CD and DVD ripping so that I can turn off autoplay for CDs, DVDs and Blue-rays by setting the AutoPlay option to "Nothing" for all of them.

Now when I insert a CD Media Center sits there for a long time, minutes, saying "Analyzing optical disc...." If I cancel that Media Center hangs and I get a Windows message telling me Media Center isn't responding. If I eject the disc and then cancel the Analyzing message I get a message saying "Ripping is currently unavailable.  Please ensure that a suitable optical drive is installed on this machine. Also, make sure you are using a local library and are not in Party Mode."

I'm not in using a local library and don't want to.  I have inserted the CD so that I can rip it using other software and then copy the files to my server for the instance of Media Center running there to auto import them.

If I insert a DVD Media Center recognises it, I see it in Drives and Devices in the tree view, but it doesn't autoplay.
If I insert a Blu-ray Media Center displays a message saying "Analyzing optical disc...."  for a while, longer than I'd like, but not as long as with a CD before I give up and cancel.  The message then closes and I see it in Drives and Devices in the tree view, but it doesn't autoplay.

It it just a matter of waiting a very long time for Media Center to analyze an autdio disc?  Why doesn't cancel work?
If I don't want to auto play the discs when I insert them why does it analyze them?  If I decide I want to play the DVD or Blu-Ray in Media Center I have to click on the drive in the tree view and it then analyzes the disc again, so what was the point of analyzing it the first time?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 02:21:49 pm »

Just to make sure…You did restart MC, including MC server, after enabling the features… Correct? 

Now when I insert a CD Media Center sits there for a long time, minutes, saying "Analyzing optical disc...." I
I wonder if this has anything to do with the CD look-up servers not being available to older versions anymore (MC27 and older).  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135879.0.html  Are you using MC28 or newer?  I would assume so since you are posting in the MC31 board.

... I get a message saying "Ripping is currently unavailable.  Please ensure that a suitable optical drive is installed on this machine. Also, make sure you are using a local library and are not in Party Mode."   I'm not using a local library and don't want to.
Seems like you might have answered your own question here.

If I insert a DVD Media Center recognises it, I see it in Drives and Devices in the tree view, but it doesn't autoplay.
Which makes sense doesn't it?  You said earlier in your reply that you set autoplay to "nothing" for all of them.

It it just a matter of waiting a very long time for Media Center to analyze an autdio disc?  Why doesn't cancel work?
I have autoplay set to "nothing" as well, and when I insert a CD it is available to rip immediately - I have never seen the analyzing disc message myself. FWIW, my optical disc player is a decade old as well.
As for the canceling not working, this occurs in various situations throughout MC - not just for optical disks.  Why cancel is sometimes ignored in this situation, I have no idea. Just a bug that is not been resolved I guess.

If I don't want to auto play the discs when I insert them why does it analyze them?  If I decide I want to play the DVD or Blu-Ray in Media Center I have to click on the drive in the tree view and it then analyzes the disc again, so what was the point of analyzing it the first time?
I have never tried to rip DVDs or play Blu-ray discs, so I've nothing to offer regarding those.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 02:47:34 pm »

Just to make sure…You did restart MC, including MC server, after enabling the features… Correct? 

Yes.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the CD look-up servers not being available to older versions anymore (MC27 and older).  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135879.0.html  Are you using MC28 or newer?  I would assume so since you are posting in the MC31 board.

31.0.10 64bit

Seems like you might have answered your own question here.
Which makes sense doesn't it?  You said earlier in your reply that you set autoplay to "nothing" for all of them.
It is correct, but all I did was insert a CD (and then remove it when I got fed up with waiting for the analysis to finish).  I wasn't trying to rip it.  If I'd inserted it and then tried to rip it the message would be appropriate.

I have autoplay set to "nothing" as well, and when I insert a CD it is available to rip immediately - I have never seen the analyzing disc message myself. FWIW, my optical disc player is a decade old as well.
This is my outstanding problem.  May be I should try inserting a CD and waiting even longer to see what happens.

As for the canceling not working, this occurs in various situations throughout MC - not just for optical disks.  Why cancel is sometimes ignored in this situation, I have no idea. Just a bug that is not been resolved I guess.

Yes, that appears to be the case.

I have never tried to rip DVDs or play Blu-ray discs, so I've nothing to offer regarding those.
I'm happy with the behaviour for DVDs and Blu-ray discs now.  It doesn't autoplay them and doesn't get stuck analyising them.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 03:02:42 pm »

hopefully someone else who is experiencing the same issues as you, and knows the solution will chime in... good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up