INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wav, flac, etc conversion error to DSD64  (Read 388 times)

szigetiszabolcs

Wav, flac, etc conversion error to DSD64
« on: May 22, 2023, 04:02:39 pm »

When I play not DSD files (as wav, flac, ape) then I have this error message: "Playback Problem: Something went wrong with playback. Detalis: Playback couldn't started on the output 'ASIO' using the format '96 KHz 2ch'. The ASIO device 'Creative SB/SBX AE DSD' does not support the sample rate of 176400 Hz."

When I play DSD512 then I can see (and hear) the JRiver plays it well on DSD64 bit (a downsample happens but in the info page I can see there is no conversion and the input is DSD64 bit, but it's not DSD64 because it is DSD512 , but this is not a big problem, because I can listen the music). I can play the DSD 64 bit well too.

This problem was in the previous versions too (I wanted to report to the 30 but then I've seen there is 31, so I've bought the 31 and it has the same problem).
My configuration: Sound Blaster  AE9, Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (19044.2965), AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core, 48,0 GB memory (DC)
JRiver settings (version: 31.0.10 (64 bit) ):
Audio Device: Creative SB/SBX AE DSD [ASIO]
DSD & output format / Output Encoding: DSD in DoP format (requires DSD capable DAC)
Device settings/Volume device: Speakers (Sound Blaster AE-9)
DSD bitstream in Dop format: unchecked
Bit streaming: yes, Bit streaming Formats: DSD: checkbox is checked, and selected "Up to DSD64 (1x)" in the drop down list.

I have a Topping D90Se too and it can play everything with almost the same JRiver settings what I use with the AE9 (the Bit streaming is on "DSD512" or on "all DSD sample rates") , but there I can see the conversion working well (I can see the right input format and the JRiver converts it well to the DSD512 from any kind of another formats) .

Before someone writes I have to change the setup and loose the DSD: I don't want to change the setup every time when the playlist element change from dsd to flac or to wav (or etc..) then back. I would like to use the same settings with every musics from the playlist and the best choice for the AE9 is the DSD64 output. So will be good to have a fix which can convert the input to DSD64 output too as the JRiver does with the DSD512 output (and with the DSD256 output).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wav, flac, etc conversion error to DSD64
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 12:55:37 am »

Did you try using WASAPI instead of ASIO?

ASIO drivers come from the manufacturer of the sound device and sometimes have idiosyncrasies.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Wav, flac, etc conversion error to DSD64
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 08:12:12 am »

There are a lot of settings going on and it is a little hard to tell why Audio Path shows both 96K and 176K.   If you can play DSD64 (1x DSD) with DoP then the PCM conversions should work also. I would confirm that DSD64 is playing OK by setting the Output Format to None as a test and looking at what Audio Path says. I would suggest changing all the DSP Studio sampling rate conversions to No Change.  That setting might be interacting with the DSP in DoP setting, which changes everything to 176KHz DoP.  That conversion may be why Audio Path is also showing 96KHz.

As Jim says,  WASAPI passes DSD as DoP so that is also something to try.  WASAPI does not support native DSD sample rates. It only does DoP.

EDIT: It also looks like you are bitstreaming 1x DSD in native format (DoP unchecked). Does it play correctly with DoP checked? You can use ASIO or WASAPI for DoP.

Or try setting Output Format to native DSD instead of DoP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up