INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Automatic Black Bar Cropping in JRVR  (Read 2513 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
NEW: Automatic Black Bar Cropping in JRVR
« on: May 27, 2023, 03:52:50 am »

3. NEW: Metadata-driven automatic black bar cropping in JRVR, based on the "Video Crop" database field, which can be filled with the Video Analysis tool.  MC 31.0.16 and above.

Black bars would only go away if there is room to the side for the image to grow, eg. on an ultrawide screen, where you would have pillarboxing (eg. black bars on the left/right). Otherwise Preserve Aspect Ratio will just add them back like its supposed to.
Its not going to cut off image content, unless you ask it to. If you like getting image cut off, it also allows the "Crop" mode to work properly, because it knows how much is actual image.

Removal of black bars only has any impact if there is actually extra space in another dimension the image can then expand into (eg. more width thats unused).
You can generate space by using an anamorphic projection using the correction factor, or just having an ultrawide resolution to begin with.

All the options are available in the new JRVR settings page. There are just two things you have to do - enable automatic black bar cropping and set the factor of your lense. Leave Aspect Ratio Mode on "Preserve...".

Quote from: jmone on Yesterday at 06:14:16 pm
Is there a way to have MC auto run Black Bar detection when importing?

There is this for auto-import: (Tools -> Import -> Configure Auto Import)

And this for single imports: (Tools -> Import -> Import a single folder)

There is a setting for auto-import as well as manual import, if you use the import dialog.

Note that if you had previously manually overriden any of the settings for the file you are testing, you can either delete the Playback Info field, or manually select the right settings in the context menu again.
The per-file settings are still there and still take precedence over the global settings. As only this way will you be able to fix individual files that may not be quite how you expected them.

lello

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: Automatic Black Bar Cropping in JRVR
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 12:47:44 pm »

Having a projector and a 21:9 screen, I use tone mapping and a custom resolution.

In order to have the HDR passtrough, however, I have to set the standard resolution https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135135.msg935783.html#msg935783 and in this way I find the OSD and the off screen subtitles: is there a way to move the OSD inside the viewing area?
(obviously for subtitles it is already possible)

Ekpen

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 08:26:51 pm »

Hello everyone:
Coming from 31.0.13, I have mixed experience with black bar  cropping. Then I installed 31.0.19.
I tried to remove crop info  from the File info, no success.
On two instances, I reset the database with no files, imported 2 folders, one with 95 1080P and the other with 2 4k mkvs.  I used the default.. auto cropping, no luck
Second instance, I selected the last option on the menu "video within 2.40" , no luck All I got was same result of hit and mix.
For 1080P ,crop info of 0x22x1920x1058 will result in the entire screen being filled.
Crop info  3840 -4K  with 0x42x3840x2118 gives me full screen
But a 4k movie with 0x280x3840x1880 will yield nothing.
In summary, it is still hit or miss.
As of now, my entire database is empty with no mkvs waiting for help from forum members .
Thanks.
George Omoregie.

DocCharky

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 12:08:39 pm »

Out of curiosity, how does the algo react to multiple aspect ratios (i.e. movies with few selected "IMAX" scenes)?
Charky

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 12:22:00 pm »

Out of curiosity, how does the algo react to multiple aspect ratios (i.e. movies with few selected "IMAX" scenes)?

There is no handling of dynamic changes at this point. It'll pick a size that does not cut off video in the entire movie, assuming the detection sees such a scene, so if needed, it might not detect any black bars at all in such a movie.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DocCharky

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 07:31:09 am »

Thx :)
Charky

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 04:05:06 am »

I have two questions about the upcoming vertical picture shift in relation to black bar detection:

1) Will it work when JRiver is used as a player, provided that the title is in the library and the black bars have been detected during import, so the metadata is present?
2) Any vague ETA for the vertical shift feature?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 08:29:06 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up