INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing gapless DSF files still a problem  (Read 296 times)

swcng2001

• Recent member
Playing gapless DSF files still a problem
« on: May 28, 2023, 02:52:40 am »

I use an iMac running Big Sur now with MC31. It’s connected via Ethernet to an SoTM SMS-200ultra and a tx-USBultra to a Bricasti M1SE. The SoTM uses MPD and acts as a DLNA renderer. MC is configured to stream through Ethernet to the SoTM.

As an example, I have PCM (FLAC) and DSD64 versions of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. This is a fine example of an album which is gapless between tracks. The PCM version plays perfectly through my system whereas there’s always a short gap between tracks for the DSD version.

I also have Roon on my system as the SoTM is Roon Ready and it handles PCM and DSD gapless perfectly.

Setup of JRiver is very basic. I do not use any upsampling as recommended by Bricasti.

Before any asks me to run AndrewFG’s analyser, it does not run on a Mac!

My conclusion is that there’s nothing wrong with my iMac, the SoTM boxes or the Bricasti DAC. Can someone from JRiver please look at this problem and provide some recommendations?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playing gapless DSF files still a problem
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 07:35:55 am »

The most likely answer is that your device doesn't do what you're trying to do.  Roon doesn't do DLNA so the comparison is invalid.

You could do any conversions you want in advance.

Or use PCM.

Or it might work if you have a direct connection (not via network).

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing gapless DSF files still a problem
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 03:05:00 pm »

This plays perfectly gaplessly DSF to my Id.

Since you say the same thing in PCM also plays gaplessly that would indicate that your device supportw the SetNextAVTransportURI function.
There is no difference when doing that with a DSF file other than the amount of data/sec is considerably larger.

A guess would be that your SotM isn't asking for the next file soon enough for it to buffer up enough of the next track to avoid a gap.

The logic is this:
MC sends a track

The renderer plays the current track

MC calculates when to send the information about the next track to play. It's at least 30 seconds after start (if the track is longer than 30 seconds) and no less than 6 seconds from the end of the current playing track.

The current track continues playing until time above is hit then MC sends the next track info.

The renderer then decides when to do the file request for the next track. Note that this is ENTIRELY up to the renderer. It needs to start the request and buffer the next track before the current one finishes or it won't be a gapless transition. In MC as a renderer (like the Id for example) that is the prebuffering setting in the Audio settings in MC. In your case that sounds like a MPD setting.

Note: Your DLNA server settings for your device should probably be "original format" if it can play everything in your catalog or "specified format when necessary" selecting only the formats that need to be converted under advanced (since it plays dsf natively that should not be selected).
Pages: [1]   Go Up