INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Problem  (Read 854 times)

MLegend

• Recent member
Audio Problem
« on: June 13, 2023, 03:42:02 am »

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this or not, but there is something wrong with the audio in 31.

I've recently upgraded from 29 to 31 and I've noticed that the audio is different/worse. It sounds as if the absolute polarity or phase was accidentally reversed or changed somewhere in the code or audio backend. Audio through 31 sounds like certain frequencies are cancelling each other out causing the audio to have a thin and artificial tone. It's not a DSP setting or processing effect that's on, I don't use any of those features and my audio path is always direct.  I've made sure that both 29 and 31 have the exact same audio settings to rule out any settings that could be causing this.

It's most noticeable with bass or percussion instruments which create lingering vibrations after impact. Those vibrations are absent while using 31 as if they are being canceled out.

This is hard to explain and I'm sorry I don't have a way to measure this to provide scientific evidence.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 04:13:18 am »

I only noticed that after the update to 21 for 2-3 h a background job was running using Audio or Images or documents (all on the same SSD). WAV Form Analysis?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

MLegend

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 12:43:02 am »

I used JRiver's analyze audio to create waveforms for a couple of recordings I made in Audacity a while ago, specifically for absolute polarity. Unfortunately, they both look the same in JRiver because the resolution of the waveform is too low and there is too much smoothing applied. However, I think the only way to properly measure this is to somehow record the actual output of JRiver.

I'm honestly surprised others haven't noticed the difference or made a post about it.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 08:32:34 am »

You can write a wav file of the JRiver output using Disk Writer. Select it in Audio options and under Options set the output folder. When you play a track it goes to a file in that directory. You can compare that to your original file in Audacity. Give it a try.

MLegend

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 01:30:40 pm »

Thank you for the heads up. Is Disk Writer an internal feature of JRiver or is it a separate program that I need to download? I can't find it in JRiver.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 01:37:11 pm »

Go to Tools - Options - Audio and select Disk Writer as the Audio Device. Under Device Settings set the folder for the output files. This sets up the folder for the output file.

Then, go back to the main screen and under Playing Now on the top of the tree, select Disk Writer. Now, when you play something the output will go to a file in the folder you set as a wav file.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 03:57:18 pm »

Disk Writer is on the wiki.

MLegend

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 04:43:16 pm »

Unfortunately, there is no difference between the waveforms of either version when using Disk Writer output even though when I playback the two files I can hear the difference. I then recorded the JRiver WDM driver output with obs and there is a visual difference between the waveforms, but it's most likely caused by how each version handles the file or OBS, not the polarity issue I'm hearing. It sounds like this is an absolute polarity/phase issue, not simply the polarity/phase being inverted.

I can try to reduce the size of the audio files to post here for you to listen for yourselves if that is permitted here.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 04:55:31 pm »

Go ahead.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 05:00:08 pm »

More information, please.

Version of MC?  31.0.21 is on this board.

OS?

Audio settings?

What is the output device and audio driver?  Anything unusual?

You can reverse the polarity in MC's DSP Studio, just to test.

What file types?  Have you tested several?

Make sure volume isn't set down somewhere.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 05:07:33 pm »

While Jim was typing - similar things to check

You have probably already done this, but check these in both versions and change to see if there is any difference.

1) Blue light lite in Audio Path

2) Volume settings the same - disable volume

3) Exclusive mode set in MC and Windows

4) WASAPI or ASIO driver - not direct sound

MLegend

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2023, 05:56:19 pm »

@JimH & @dtc

MC 29.0.91/ 31.0.17 & 31.0.21

Vanatoo T1E & Schiit Gungnir Multibit A2 (Wasapi exclusive)

audio path is always direct

mix of lossless WAV files played directly in JRiver and JRiver WDM driver for all audio outside of JRiver (Spotify, Youtube, etc.).

I have tried reversing the polarity in the DSP studio, but it doesn't fix the issue. Even if it did correct the issue, I do not want to rely on & introduce DSP in the audio path to fix this issue. Volume is the same for both 29 & 31 (100%). I'm sorry for the delay, work has kept me away from everything. I'll upload the files as soon as I can.

Also, interestingly enough, now whenever I use the Write Disk output for comparisons there is a visual difference between the two waveforms. However, the difference is similar to what I was seeing with the OBS recordings, not polarity inverted waveforms.

MLegend

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2023, 04:41:44 am »

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2023, 08:54:10 am »

I thought you were playing the same file on the same system through MC29 and MC31. Why are the files for 29 and 31 different sizes? Or are these the Disk Writer files?

MLegend

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2023, 12:27:40 pm »

"I thought you were playing the same file on the same system through MC29 and MC31." I am.
All of the WAV files are the Disk Writer files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up