INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappearing Waveforms  (Read 426 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Disappearing Waveforms
« on: June 26, 2023, 08:48:45 am »

On MC 31, I just noticed that my waveforms on all audio files disappeared - the field is empty (other audio analysis is okay). The waveforms can be regenerated by reanalyzing.  I am not aware of anything I did to delete the contents of that field.  I switched to MC 31 around version .17 or so. 
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Disappearing Waveforms
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 08:52:03 am »

You should be able to restore from a backup.  [Wiki]

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 03:55:34 pm »

WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

jack wallstreet

Re: Disappearing Waveforms (again)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 11:03:30 pm »

I installed to 31.0.33 and all my waveform tags are gone again.  I have to reanalyze my files (not practical to restore as I am doing so much editing today).  Obviously not a lot of people are having this problem, but it has now happended to me twice with V31.  I don't think it likely that I am deleting waveforms as I don't even have it as a visible tag.  Just a note that there may be something in version 31 that I am somehow triggering that causes all the waveforms disappear.  I do not know if the instantly disappear or disappear over time.  As I add new files, waveforms are still being automatically generated for new files and those are the only waveforms I have.

P.S.  I am using an audio editing program (sound forge) that I Have loaded at the same time as MC and I am editing some songs (that are in the MC database).  The sound forge program and its associated add-on have a tendency to use 100% memory and then sound forge crashes.  When that happens, MC exhibits weird behavior (may not run or freezes).  I don't know if that is when I lose my waveforms or why a memory problem would affect a database.  So it is probably not related.
John

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 06:13:27 am »

Restore a backup.  See the wiki for details.
I am using an audio editing program (sound forge) that I Have loaded at the same time as MC and I am editing some songs (that are in the MC database).  The sound forge program and its associated add-on have a tendency to use 100% memory and then sound forge crashes.

That could be the cause.

If MC appears to be frozen, just wait.  Something else may have a file locked.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 09:24:53 am »

It appears consistent that whenever Sound Forge/Ozone 10 blows through memory and crashes and if MC 31 is loaded, the waveforms for all my files in my MC database disappear and have to be reanalyzed (Easier to reanalyze than restore as I am constantly changing the mc files).  There are apparently no other ramifications.  This is an unusual issue with obvious workarounds, so I am not expecting it to be "fixed", but I am curious as to why an apparent memory issue can modify a specific field for all files in the mc database when that database is stored on a drive. Can someone explain technically what might be happenning?  Really, this is just curiosity as to how MC works in this area.
John

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 11:06:18 am »

I believe it's a Soundforge problem.  Please contact them.

I'm trying to remember a very old problem with Soundforge products.  They fixed it in some of their software.  They were opening audio devices on the computer upon launch and it caused a problem with something new we had done.  You might find out more with a Google search.  It must have been around 10 years ago.

Could be related to ASIO, WDM, or Exclusive Mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up