INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Licensensing question - how does it work?  (Read 280 times)

Mr Swordfish

• World Citizen
Licensensing question - how does it work?
« on: June 26, 2023, 08:45:12 pm »

I've read everything I can find about the licensing, but haven't seen a clear answer.

If I buy a license for Music Center v31 what happens in the future?

Do I have to renew it in some specified time, e.g. one year?

Or is it good indefinitely for v31, but when v32 comes out will I have to  buy a new license for v32, and likewise for v33, v34, etc.?

The documentation is not clear about this. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Licensensing question - how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 10:08:22 pm »

You don't have to upgrade, but it's inexpensive and we do appreciate it.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Licensensing question - how does it work?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 07:39:55 am »

Some additional info:

Upgrades to the latest version of MC are heavily discounted.  They cost less than half of a new purchase price.  They are really affordable, even if you only upgrade every 2 or 3 versions.  JRiver will let you upgrade from any old version to the latest.  So from 26 to 31.  Or from 20 to 31.  Or 30 to 31. It's all the same discounted price.

What I've found is that there are sometimes key things that get added or changed along the way that I really want.  So it's easiest for me to just upgrade each cycle.  You may feel differently.

Finally, every now and then, there's a major change that breaks some part of older versions.  The most recent example is when JRiver had to change their long standing servers from one place to another.  This broke cover art lookups.  So, they decided to put in an emergency fix backwards for several versions.  I think they went back 4 major versions, but don't quote me.   If you have one of those versions, lookups work again with the fix.  If you have a version older than that, the program still works, but cover art lookups do not.

In the 8 or 9 years I've been using MC, I can really only think of 2 or 3 things like this.  All versions still play your music and videos.  Some auxiliary functionality might be lost, but those changes are very rare.

Finally, JRiver is a small company that makes a best of class product.  I like supporting them with the small amount of money I pay for each upgrade.  This is partially a selfish decision.  My purchases may help them stay in business and keep supporting my favorite media manager and player:  MC.

Take care,
Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up