INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wake on LAN  (Read 730 times)

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
Wake on LAN
« on: July 25, 2023, 08:08:51 am »

How do you set WOL for offline media shares?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wake on LAN
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 08:31:50 am »

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wake_on_Lan

You could also use a Google search.  It's a complex subject.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 08:35:34 am »

How do you set WOL for offline media shares?
You mean something like a Nas which is asleep and MC should know that some path equates to some mac address that needs to be woken up? If so, never heard of such support

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 08:38:44 am »

You probably need to follow the instructions of the server manufacturer.  I believe you can set it to wake on any access request.

This may also explain your partial import problem.  The server probably just wasn't awake.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 08:41:33 am »

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 11:40:02 am »

You mean something like a Nas which is asleep and MC should know that some path equates to some mac address that needs to be woken up? If so, never heard of such support

Yes, that’s what I mean. I explained it in this thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120798.0.html a few years ago, but it’s been locked today and this new one was created.

AFAIK this isn’t supported in MC, I’m not sure why Jim keeps asking me to google it, I know exactly how it works, I helped developers implement it in MyMovies, CMC and on the Netgear 550. I’m discussing it with the Dune devs to implement it in the Dune players.

There is no per share MAC address info in MC, so I don’t see how it could work.

It’s not a complex subject at all.

You only need to know the MAC address related to each share, so that MC knows where to send a magic packet when a share is offline to wake it up.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 11:41:20 am »

You probably need to follow the instructions of the server manufacturer.  I believe you can set it to wake on any access request.

This may also explain your partial import problem.  The server probably just wasn't awake.

As MC doesn’t support WOL, my shares are ALWAYS online during an import. The report I sent you was a manual import, with the share online. Definitely not related.

WOL works great for all my servers with CMC and MyMovies, but that’s because they support it. Media Center doesn’t. You need to specify the MAC address for each share somewhere. MC can’t guess it.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 11:46:44 am »

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wake_on_Lan

You could also use a Google search.  It's a complex subject.

This is to wake up the server where the library is located, or possibly a HTPC client. It’s not to wake up a MEDIA share when a title is offline because the NAS (or Unraid server in my case) is offline.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 11:55:09 am »

Here is how we implemented it in CMC. The first two are my UnRAID servers, the next two are a Synology and QNAP servers. All work fine with CMC.

Where do you provide this per share information in MC if it indeed supports WOL for media shares?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 12:06:39 pm »

MC does support WOL.

How WOL works with your NAS is a matter that the manufacturer should have documented.

We can't provide detailed support for their equipment, but an attempt to access a file on the server should cause it to wake if it's set correctly on the server.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 12:18:38 pm »

Just read your earlier post.  If you're trying to wake up your server, it needs to be set to respond to WOL requests.  Then the NAS drives need to respond.

A WOL app might help you diagnose what's going on.  My notes from a few years ago might help:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=123800.0

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 02:28:56 pm »

Just read your earlier post.  If you're trying to wake up your server, it needs to be set to respond to WOL requests.  Then the NAS drives need to respond.

A WOL app might help you diagnose what's going on.  My notes from a few years ago might help:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=123800.0

Jim, I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.

The servers are confirgured for WOL. They work fine with ANY software than sends them a WOL packet.

How do you tell MC which server it has to wake up if the share \\A4K\ is offline? How would it guess which MAC Address it should send the magic packet to?

You haven't pointed me to any documentation that explains how you tell MC which MAC address corresponds to which network share. Without this information, MC can't wake up the corresponding media share when the NAS / UNRAID server is offline. It can't GUESS a MAC address, can it? The whole logic of WOL os to send a magic packet to a specific MAC address. If I send a magic packet to any of my servers (as shown in the screenshot above with CMC), they wake up fine.

In Media Center, when you import files, you only specify the share path, not the MAC Address. So please explain how MC can wake up the server if it doesn't know the MAC address that correspond to the share speficied in the auto-import setup?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2023, 02:31:08 pm »

I think it's simpler to say that MC relies on the host OS to support this (which AFAIK windows doesn't)

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2023, 02:38:31 pm »

I think it's simpler to say that MC relies on the host OS to support this (which AFAIK windows doesn't)

The confusion is that I'm not talking about ways to wake up the JRiver server, or any JRiver client. Or to use any Windows/iOS app to wake up manually any of my NAS/Unraid servers. I can already do that.

I'm talking about MC being able to automatically wake up the server on which the share is located when MC tries to play a title and the share is offline. There is no way to do this if you don't specify somewhere the MAC address of the server on which the share is located. This should be a specific configuration in MC, or could be specified in auto-import when we set-up the share settings.

I don't know what jRemote2 is, but I don't think it allows to do that.

Anyway,m it;s a moot point because I'm only using JRiver as an external player from another front end (CMC) which support WOL per title as described above fine. I'm only saying that MC doesn't support it when used as a front end.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2023, 02:44:42 pm »

yes that (waking some arbitrary machine) is what I mean by "this"

MC supports use of WOL by an MC client to wake a server & the packet is sent as part of the client attempting to connect to the server (so a server that sleeps on a different schedule to a client is problematic)
as far as I'm aware, MC does not support WOL in any other context

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2023, 02:49:10 pm »

yes that (waking some arbitrary machine) is what I mean by "this"

MC supports use of WOL by an MC client to wake a server & the packet is sent as part of the client attempting to connect to the server (so a server that sleeps on a different schedule to a client is problematic)
as far as I'm aware, MC does not support WOL in any other context

Thanks, that’s my understanding too, but for some reason Jim seems to think it’s not the case, and I’m clearly unable to convey why what I’m talking about isn’t what he’s talking about :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up