INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manage Library Fields  (Read 421 times)

paruggeri

• Recent member
Manage Library Fields
« on: July 25, 2023, 11:38:42 pm »

Hello,

I thought that I could Use "Manage Library Fields" to edit the  categories (For example: Name, Artist, Album, Rating, etc.) in all JRiver Views. However, nothing seems to be working. I highlight "Filename" (The field I would like to get rid of) and then click on "delete field" but nothing happens. I also tried selecting all albums and then going to the bar and unchecking "filename." The field goes away. However, it  comes back immediately once I close out and reopen albums from the left side pane. I hope that I explained this correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Pete

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Manage Library Fields
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 05:11:28 am »

"Filename" is a MANDATORY Library field/tag as it is the field/tag MC uses to find each track on the PC where your Media Collection is Stored; i.e. it is the Name the OS also uses to identify that track/file.

Unfortunately, since the "Filename", "Filename (Path)","Filename (name)" and "Volume" Tags/Fields  are not Locked it is possible for an Inexperienced user, or a Miscreant, to accidentally, or intentionally, make changes to one or more of those 4 Tags/Fields in either Tag Window which will result in MC no longer being able to locate any Track, or Tracks modified by editing one or more of those 4 tags/fields .

The only Legitimate way to get "Filename" to reflect any changes to any component part of the Filename is to use the Rename, Move and Copy Option.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 06:18:20 am »

If an inexperienced user or miscreant makes changes to those fields, MC won't lose the files, it will update the physical location, name etc. of the file.

While I do get what you're saying, personally, I don't find it unfortunate, I absolutely love the freedom and flexibility it provides.

As for paruggeri, as explained, you can't remove those fields via field manager as the are the foundation of your entire library database. You can however, remove them from view. Could expand upon why you wanted to remove the fields in the first place? You will get much more useful help and advice then.

paruggeri

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 07:20:13 am »

Good Morning,

Thank you! I do not want to remove  the field completely, but simply want to remove it from all views.  I was under the impression that Library  Manager was the place to go. I have no real reason other than I don't see it as a needed field when listening to music. I wanted to replace the "Filename" field with the "Custom" in part to learn how to customize JRiver better.

Thanks!

Pete

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 07:25:27 am »

marko explained above how to do that.

paruggeri

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 09:29:46 am »

He did? I must be something. No worries. I know more than I did before at least.

paruggeri

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 09:41:53 am »

I figured it out. Thanks all! I don't know what I did different than last night, but it appears to have worked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up