INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Default Subtitle Shift?  (Read 663 times)

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
Default Subtitle Shift?
« on: August 05, 2023, 01:25:38 pm »

The only place I can find to change the subtitle shift is from the context menu while a video is open.  Is there a way to, like size and color, change the default subtitle shift, or at least a way to change an entire stack of the same tv show/series without having to do each one individually, from the context menu, repeatedly?

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
Re: Default Subtitle Shift?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 02:04:54 pm »

No answer to this??

I have a CIH scope screen, so almost ALL subtitles need to be moved up by 10%. Just about every media player that I own or have used has default subtitle position as a standard feature, so I am somewhat bewildered as to why MC does not have this. Moving each subtitle stream individually in the context menu is getting old quickly, so I am pleading with those in charge to please add  a nice, hopefully even better default subtitle positioning control than the one in the context menu. For example, "move up 11%" would be better than "move up 10%".

Thank you.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 02:54:00 am »

If you have a screen where portions are permanently outside of the visible area, what you should probably be using is this setup:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136933.msg949258.html#msg949258
In short, just permanently disabling those portions of the screen, so nothing can ever be put on there.

As for moving subtitles, the problem is that subtitle shift is very limited. It works fine with simple text subtitles, but once you have complex text subtitles or bitmap subtitles that convey their own position information, which means they can be in different sections of the screen entirely, moving them gets rather complicated or undesirable. We could put an option for this in, but these caveats don't go away from that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 04:16:48 am »

If you have a screen where portions are permanently outside of the visible area, what you should probably be using is this setup:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136933.msg949258.html#msg949258
In short, just permanently disabling those portions of the screen, so nothing can ever be put on there.

As for moving subtitles, the problem is that subtitle shift is very limited. It works fine with simple text subtitles, but once you have complex text subtitles or bitmap subtitles that convey their own position information, which means they can be in different sections of the screen entirely, moving them gets rather complicated or undesirable. We could put an option for this in, but these caveats don't go away from that.
Thanks, Hendrik. I will do as you suggest... :)

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 06:02:14 pm »

Thoses types of subtitles seem to be the exception rather than the rule....MOST subs move just fine, and so far I have not found even a single title in which the context menu did not work properly. Here is what I propose:

Give us finer granularity to the available options. Instead of offering 5% step presets, provide an option to directly enter whatever percentage we want (in whole numbers), like 11%, -4%, etc. Then allow us to make that be the "default subtitle position". When we run into oddball subs that don't work right with our preset default, provide a button which allows us to return to the current MC default (a "reset" of sorts), and then we can establish something that works from there that is saved as metadata for that one problem movie and does not get saved as the already established user default setting.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 08:23:21 pm »

The finer granularity is a great idea, as the shift doesn't always land the subs where I want them... but the original problem was being able to bulk shift a whole set of videos... such as a TV series, etc... which would still be a problem.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 04:04:34 am »

The best way to add such an option, as I see it, is make it combine with the per-file options.

For example, if you set global up 10%, and file down 10%, then you get 0% shift.

All other ideas I can come up with to manage the options and allow per-file overrides to be sensible result in unexpected outcomes.
The remaining question is, what do I do with files that already have an adjustment? Do I keep theirs as absolute and transition to a relative adjustment when they are touched the first time? That seems like a sensible thing to do.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 07:08:23 am »

The best way to add such an option, as I see it, is make it combine with the per-file options.

For example, if you set global up 10%, and file down 10%, then you get 0% shift.

All other ideas I can come up with to manage the options and allow per-file overrides to be sensible result in unexpected outcomes.
The remaining question is, what do I do with files that already have an adjustment? Do I keep theirs as absolute and transition to a relative adjustment when they are touched the first time? That seems like a sensible thing to do.
Yes! That seems to me also to be the most logical and sensible way to do this. Thank you again, Hendrik!  :)

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 08:32:34 am »

I think with that you need an option to reset to default/global also.  Mainly wanting to have to avoid tinkering with single files at a time if possible.

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 09:51:43 am »

I think with that you need an option to reset to default/global also.  Mainly wanting to have to avoid tinkering with single files at a time if possible.
Yes, resets are always very handy, especially when you screw things up and just want to get back to the default so you can try again (and I have needed resets many time in the past ... 8)  ).

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 05:25:46 pm »

Along these same lines... is there a way to prefer a subtitle format, so that you, for example, don't have to change from .pgs to .srt over and over?
Pages: [1]   Go Up