INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deinterlacing options?  (Read 2029 times)

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
Deinterlacing options?
« on: February 13, 2003, 12:56:49 pm »

I've noticed that MC has a deinterlace video option (not currently available AFAICT). Any hopes of including the awesome DScaler algorithms? What would be ideal would be for MC to provide a shell to DScaler.
Keeping the world safe for short SIGs

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Deinterlacing options?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 02:12:18 pm »

Try a search here for dscaler.  We implemented it a year ago, but nobody seemed to notice.

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 02:39:32 pm »

Try a search here for dscaler.  We implemented it a year ago, but nobody seemed to notice.

Did the search, and I found the 'How to' post, which was less that illuminating (more on that below). FWIW, I'll bet that the new MC capabilites open you up to a group of users (like myself) that will notice quite a bit.

I've been using a DScaler pass thru on my tweaked WinTV card as my primary method of watching analog broadcast sources for some time now. Nothing short of a $15k Faroujda can touch it for quality. I love the idea of being able to do it all from MC!

Now, I've tried searching your site for the updated deinterlace filter, but can't seem to find it. How do I get this bad boy going?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 03:44:38 pm »

Try setting a longer period (1000 days) and you'll find something.  I'll ask Yaobing to comment.  He did the plug-in.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 05:01:38 am »

The deinterlace option in MC has been available for quite some time. It is still available - but not automatically available. We have not made it installed with the rest of MC components.

DScaler created a DirectShow filter. That is what we use. I built the filter using DScaler's code, after getting the DScaler programmers fixing a few bugs. Once you install and register this filter on your system you can use it in MC.

We have not made it available from our site yet. I do not know how DScaler people update their download. The version you obtain from them may not be updated enough to work with MC. In that case, you have to get it from me.

The filter works for many types of TV cards, especially Brooktree based cards (such as Hauppauge WinTV). It does not work with ATI ALL-IN-WONDER line of cards (but ATI TVWonder cards are OK).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 07:56:16 pm »

Sooooo...

How do I get a hold of the filter?

Marko

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 10:05:17 pm »

Yaobing, If it's possible, any chance of me getting hold of your filter too?

please :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2003, 12:12:28 pm »

You can get it here:

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/deinterlace.ax

Put it in the MC program directory and register it by executing it.

Marko

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2003, 12:29:08 pm »

Sweet. Thank you.
Going to give it a quick spin right now. Be back shortly with preliminary reports:)

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2003, 06:46:52 pm »

OK-
So I've had a chance to play for a while with MC's video inputs using the DScaler deinterlacer, and here are my thoughts. Note that I've also been using the same plug in for ShowShifter, as well as DScaler 4. I'm using an AverTV 98 on an old PIII with a Rage Pro video card.

The Good:
This is hands down the best implementation of the plug-in I've seen. the ability to use the various deinterlacing filters from DScaler is very cool. Kudos!

The Bad:
Image quality is significantly fuzzier with MC than it is in either ShowShifter or Dscaler 4 with *identical* settings. Any Ideas why the quality would be so different?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 05:07:55 am »

The Bad:
Image quality is significantly fuzzier with MC than it is in either ShowShifter or Dscaler 4 with *identical* settings. Any Ideas why the quality would be so different?

Puzzling! I use DirectShow methods for tuning and displaying TV, as well as utilizing this plug in. If Showshifer uses the DirectShow way, I can not see how it can be different.

When you say you have been using the same plug in for ShowShifter, do you literally mean the same DirectShow filter Deinterlace.ax has been used in Showshifter?

DScaler may be another story. I believe DScaler does not need to use the DirectShow filter. DScaler has the options built in, that may be the difference.

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2003, 05:26:39 am »

Puzzling! I use DirectShow methods for tuning and displaying TV, as well as utilizing this plug in. If Showshifer uses the DirectShow way, I can not see how it can be different.

When you say you have been using the same plug in for ShowShifter, do you literally mean the same DirectShow filter Deinterlace.ax has been used in Showshifter?

DScaler may be another story. I believe DScaler does not need to use the DirectShow filter. DScaler has the options built in, that may be the difference.

I agree it's weird. ShowShifter uses the same deinterlace.ax, and I've tried both MC and it using the Deinterlace.ax in Two Frame and both of the Bob and Weave mode (ShowSifter doesn't let you access the deinterlace plug-ins like MC does). Just to be sure, I copied the same file that you gave me into ShowShfter manually. MC is noticeably fuzzier every time. You might want to check out ShowShifter here:
http://www.showshifter.com/download/
It's a free trial.

Is there any way a can take overlay screenshots?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2003, 05:48:09 am »

This just occurred to me. Did you try configuring the preview video format? It is at

Right-Click menu, TV Options->Configure TV ... ->Advanced Properties (The same place where you access deinterlacing option)

Double click "Video Preview Pin ... " and make sure the Color Space / Comression is YUY2 (experiment with other formats too, to find the best quality). AND make sure the video size is 640x480 (if you use 320 x 240, the picture is noticibly poorer).

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2003, 06:46:32 pm »

YES!!!
Yaobling, you're my short-term personal savior!

I had the preview set to 320x240.

All is good now.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2003, 03:37:58 am »

YES!!!
Yaobling, you're my short-term personal savior!

Wow, my day is brighter today too  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up