INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Add MC Version Number to default backup filename  (Read 504 times)

markf2748

• Citizen of the Universe

Background:  The typical default MC backup filename looks like:

MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2023-08-13 06-27).zip

It includes the Library Name, Date, and Time but omits the MC Version Number.  The backup gets saved to the folder specified in Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups:

There is a strong temptation for some users to save to a custom backup directory which includes the MC Version Number (29, 30, 31 etc.) in its folder name.  This is especially the case when more than one MC Version is installed on a single computer, when clients run different MC Versions, or when you just want to keep old backups around.  Unfortunately, this practice can result in confusion and extra work when performing Cross-Version Restores or MC version updates.  See:

Reference:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136762.0.html

Feature Request:  MC should automatically include the Version Number in its default backup filename.  When doing a version update, MC would use the most recent backup of the highest currently installed version for its migration defaults, unless the user specifies otherwise.  An internal record of the version within the backup file would allow MC to check validity of the version specified in the filename.

Benefit:  This feature would encourage users to save to a backup directory with no version reference in the directory folder name, while backups from different versions would still be visibly distinguishable.  This should largely eliminate the issue described above (especially if MC raised a (defeatable) warning message about a "bad" backup directory name).

Note:  Users can always move or copy old backup files into version-labeled directories without defeating this suggestion, as long as the default backup directory has no version reference in its name.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request: Add MC Version Number to default backup filename
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 09:52:15 am »

I'd recommend picking a folder name without a version number.  I've been using the same folder for years on my data drive.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 09:55:22 am »

I agree with this suggestion.  It enhances the backups by adding more information to the file name.  I can't think of any negative effect for anyone.  All it does is add more information to the file name.  Information that might help a large group of MC users.

Thanks for reading.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 09:56:16 am »

Would you want the full version including build or just major version?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 10:37:42 am »

I would suggest both version and build number. That way if you are troubleshooting a problem you will know what build you are restoring.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 10:43:34 am »

I'd recommend picking a folder name without a version number.  I've been using the same folder for years on my data drive.
In my opinion, this is the right answer. 

I'd rather not make a change to a known system that works.

markf2748

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 02:38:51 pm »

In my opinion, this is the right answer. 
Agree 100%.  That is largely the point of this Feature Request.

I'd rather not make a change to a known system that works.
As pointed out by blgentry (Reply #2), nothing should fundamentally change; only adding information to filename, not directory name.  Of course any change to software involves risk, but here I would hope the risk is worth the reward of resulting clarity.

markf2748

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 09:19:15 am »

I would suggest both version and build number. That way if you are troubleshooting a problem you will know what build you are restoring.
Agree.  I suggest to append major version and build in a single number (same as in the installation download name, but no need to add the 32/64 bits part here).  This preserves the original look and feel, backwards compatibility, with primary ordering by date in a win explorer file list by name.  The version is merely supplementary info, giving a sense of history and identity.  For example:

MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2023-08-17 17-59) 310045.zip

I've started appending this manually; so far liking the format.
Pages: [1]   Go Up