INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stream from JRiver to NAD M33  (Read 621 times)

doorofnight010

• Recent member
stream from JRiver to NAD M33
« on: September 08, 2023, 03:55:00 pm »

I installed JRiver today with the Bacch plugin (great fun); I can stream music from roon to jriver. But now I need jriver to stream the music to my streamer/amplifier, the NAD M33 (Bluos and ROON ready)

The only way now is via BlueTooth. But that connection is crappy. There is no NAD driver available for this model.

I also have an LMS based streamer that I can use. I thought that it was possible to send a stream to the streamer (audio-device) but even though jriver is connected with it by DLNA, I do not see how i can send the stream from roon to jriver to the LMS streamer. Maybe turn the streamer into an JRiver server/streamer? If possible?

What can I do?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: stream from JRiver to NAD M33
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 12:32:02 am »

You would probably need a device that supports UPnP or DLNA.  That's the industry standard.  Most TV's and receivers support it.

doorofnight010

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 02:00:15 am »

Any suggestions on how I stream from jriver to my LMS (UpnP/DLNA) streamer? How do I configure that?
From there I can use a cable to the amplifier.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 02:08:26 am »

Take a look at Whitebear:  https://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

The author, AndrewFG, posts here.

doorofnight010

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 05:27:10 am »

Thank you :)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 07:27:37 am »

If your LMS is functioning as a DLNA renderer, you should see in it Servers and Plug-ins - Media Server and it should show up in Playing Now as a output option.

The WiiM products are a common replacement for Chromecast Audio. They support DLNA and can pass through a format to an optical output.  Unlike CA it is supposed to be fully DLNA on all the models. The Mini should be all you need. I have not tried one yet, but it might be an inexpensive option to connect JRiver to your NAD. Note that the documentation is very sparse on DLNA support, so it is hard to know exactly what it supports. The Pro Model also supports CA which MC can use through BubbleUPnP

https://www.wiimhome.com/wiimmini/overview

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 07:38:14 am »

A JRiver IdPi also supports DLNA.

https://jriver.com/Id/

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 11:05:50 am »

If you are connecting Roon to JRiver via JRiver's WDM then I believe you cannot then output from JRiver to a DLNA device. The DLNA process requires a file with a known length. It cannot handle an ongoing stream. JRiver to a DLNA device will work, but not from the WDM input, at least the last time I checked.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 10:14:49 am »

It looks like the M33 runs BluOS.  BluOS and BluOS Explorer seem to NOT support DLNA or UPnP.  So those routes are out as far as I can tell.

BluOS seems designed to integrate primarily with streaming services like Spotify.

However, it also looks like BluOS can source music files from NAS.  If you have a file share on your PC or on a NAS box, I think BluOS can see the files directly and play them.

Presumably you would do this from BluOS explorer (a mobile app), or maybe from the front panel of the M33.

Best of luck to you,
Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 11:15:13 am »

I now have a Wiim Mini feeding a DAC through an optical connection. You could connect it directly to the M33 through optical and use the M33 dac. MC sees the Mini as a DLNA renderer and plays to it fine. The Wiim app streams from the major services, so you can use it for streaming and use MC for your own music through DLNA. The Wiim app can also connect directly to the MC DLNA server to play your MC music, although the interface is clearly much more limited than MC.  Something to consider. It is a significant upgrade from the old Chromecast Audio.

As Brian says, the M33 is really meant to be a BlueOs component or a stand alone integrated.

Wiim looks like an option.

Update (1/28/2024): I have moved from a Mini to a Pro. The optical output on the Mini does not seem to hold the cable securely so I am now using the coax output on a Pro. It is much more stable. I find the DLNA renderer works very well and the streaming is quite good. It does not do DSD but I can live with that in the system I am using it with. Quite a bargain.

doorofnight010

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 08:02:11 am »

Thank you for your replies. I have a streamer with a 16GBit memory card. I am trying that option now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up