INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry... New User Here with Questions  (Read 637 times)

McMADDOG

• Recent member
Sorry... New User Here with Questions
« on: September 14, 2023, 07:15:10 pm »

I apologize in advance. I am a new user, in fact I am new to this whole digital music scene. I can usually figure stuff out but I'm totally lost at this point and could use some help.

My question is How Do I Connect JRiver through my network and play content on my audio system?

Audio System Specs:

Synology NAS ===> Raspberry Pi ===> Wyred4Sound Remedy Reclocker ===> McIntosh D100 pre-amp/headphone amp/DAC ===> McIntosh MX-151 processor

I have downloaded MC31, found my network & music files on the NAS through JRiver and imported selected folders to the software library. I have also set up a few playlists.

Now I want to control JRiver on my laptop and play the music through the described system.

What do I need to do next???

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
Re: Sorry... New User Here with Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 11:49:46 pm »

Welcome to the forums!

I'm sure others will chime with additional ways of doing it, but right off the top of my head I'd say you either use a remote desktop application (e.g. x11vnc on the Linux/Raspberry Pi side, and something that can connect to it on your laptop) or you use Panel via a browser on your laptop.

Remote Desktop:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,109419.0.html
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108981.0.html

Panel:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Panel
END OF LINE.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 10:23:53 am »

Or use cellphone or tablet

McMADDOG

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 11:23:16 am »

Or use cellphone or tablet

Yeah, I could do that. The hardware issue is not the concern. It's getting connected properly so I can turn on my system and listen to it.

McMADDOG

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 11:28:23 am »

OK. I can connect through Panel to the music on the NAS and play it...on the laptop.

Now what do I do to play it across the system? How do I connect to that or is it an audio output option that needs to be selected?

Again, I am a really new user with absolutely NO experience with JRiver software and I apologize for all the basic questions.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 02:21:20 pm »

In Panel, you select the options icon (gear), and change the zone from (play to) "Here" to "Player". If you have configured MC to use the correct audio device, you're done. Otherwise, you can select the audio device within Panel too.
END OF LINE.

McMADDOG

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 02:47:28 pm »

In Panel, you select the options icon (gear), and change the zone from (play to) "Here" to "Player". If you have configured MC to use the correct audio device, you're done. Otherwise, you can select the audio device within Panel too.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this. I see what you are writing but don't know how to navigate Panel. And when I try to go there it won't connect. And I don't know if I have configured MC to use the correct audio device.

Again, I am totally lost at this point. Are there any How To's that will take me from the very beginning to set up and configure MC?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 09:28:08 pm »

Assuming you can play to your McIntosh from the Pi, you need to connect MC on the laptop to the Pi.  I am not a Pi guy, but if you describe the Pi system maybe someone can help. What software is running on the Pi that plays to the McIntosh? Do you have MC on the Pi? Do you have DLNA on the Pi?  JRiver has a product called an ID which is a Pi DLNA server. The software is available to run on your own Pi.  I do not know the details of all this, but if you describe what is on the Pi it would help.

McMADDOG

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 09:42:10 pm »

Assuming you can play to your McIntosh from the Pi, you need to connect MC on the laptop to the Pi.  I am not a Pi guy, but if you describe the Pi system maybe someone can help. What software is running on the Pi that plays to the McIntosh? Do you have MC on the Pi? Do you have DLNA on the Pi?  JRiver has a product called an ID which is a Pi DLNA server. The software is available to run on your own Pi.  I do not know the details of all this, but if you describe what is on the Pi it would help.

The PI is in the signal path via ethernet. It's always been there since I adopted the digital music process. It's an RPI 4B with a digital hat that handles optical signals.

I didn't build the PI so I am not sure what software is on it nor do I know if it is DLNA capable but I would assume it is. JRiver is not loaded on the PI, only on my laptop.

I don't know how to access the PI to provide much more information at this point. And, I've failed to solve the connection problem using Panel. I've never had to connect anything besides USB & optical to the PI so I'm not sure about all the details inside that box.

I'm not sure how to

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023, 12:52:23 am »

Ah, sorry, based on how your OP was worded, I assumed you had MC on the Pi and tried to connect to it from your laptop. If you have MC only your laptop, using Panel etc.pp. doesn't help you, as Panel then connects to the MC on your laptop.

So, how exactly do you play music/control your system right now? Then, with this information, maybe someone can help you. Also, maybe modify the OP title to mention the question/topic, so people with related knowledge can find it and chime in.
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 12:56:30 am »

If you remember where you bought the Pi, you could post a link to its specifications.

McMADDOG

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 09:59:32 am »

Ah, sorry, based on how your OP was worded, I assumed you had MC on the Pi and tried to connect to it from your laptop. If you have MC only your laptop, using Panel etc.pp. doesn't help you, as Panel then connects to the MC on your laptop.

So, how exactly do you play music/control your system right now? Then, with this information, maybe someone can help you. Also, maybe modify the OP title to mention the question/topic, so people with related knowledge can find it and chime in.

Normally I would turn on the system, the MX151 processor & D100 DAC power up, I start Roon on the laptop and once it's all up and running I hit Play. It was that simple.

The signal path is:

Synology NAS ===> (Cat V) Raspberry Pi ===> (Optical) Wyred4Sound Remedy Reclocker ===> (Optical) McIntosh D100 pre-amp/headphone amp/DAC ===> (Balanced XLR) McIntosh MX-151 processor

I checked all the connections and they look secure. If the connections weren't, I'd get a "No Audio Device Found" message on Roon. But in this case, Roon won't even boot to that point. I just get a blank screen with the little Roon icon in the middle of the screen.

McMADDOG

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2023, 10:00:23 am »

If you remember where you bought the Pi, you could post a link to its specifications.

I thought of that yesterday and sent a message to the fellow who set it up for me.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2023, 10:25:07 am »

There is software for the Pi (RoPieee) that allows a Pi to be a Roon end point. That may be what you have on your Pi. There is also an XL version that adds support for DLNA and some other formats. If you have RoPieee XL you should be able to connect to it using DLNA from MC on the laptop. If you have the non-XL version, you may need to upgrade. Does any of that sound familiar?

To check DLNA, go into Tools - Options - Media Network and enable Media Network by checking the box and saving.  Then back on the main screen look under Playing Now and see if you see any device that may be your Pi. If so, select it and then try to play something.

Just guessing here.

McMADDOG

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2023, 10:32:56 am »

There is software for the Pi (RoPieee) that allows a Pi to be a Roon end point. That may be what you have on your Pi. There is also an XL version that adds support for DLNA and some other formats. If you have RoPieee XL you should be able to connect to it using DLNA from MC on the laptop. If you have the non-XL version, you may be to upgrade. Does any of that sound familiar?

To check DLNA, go into Tools - Options - Media Network and enable Media Network by checking the box and saving.  Then back on the main screen look under Playing Now and see if you see any device that may be your Pi. If so, select it and then try to play something.

Just guessing here.

Good guess @dtc! That's exactly what is on the RPI. I don't believe  that the RPI is connected so I'll try that next.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up