INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail problem on MC connected to MC library server  (Read 474 times)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
Thumbnail problem on MC connected to MC library server
« on: November 07, 2023, 06:37:21 am »

Hi!

Been a MC user since MC16 and this is the tenth time I upgrade   ;D  Now running MC 31.0.80

I have one MC running as the main instance where all the music is stored (roughly 10000 albums) and then I run a second MC which connects to the main MC's library that acts as a library server. All has been well. But after upgrading I have a problem with thumbnails on the client MC. Getting all the thumbnails built on the server is still not a problem but on the client MC just a few seemingly random thumbnails show up.

Things I've tried that does not help:

- click "rebuild thumbnails" on client
- click "sync changes with library server"
- I've tested running the client on both Win10 and on a Raspberry Pi running Bullseye. They behave the same, a few random thumbnails show up
- waited two days with everything connected and running
- disconnect and instead load the local (empty) library on the client and then reconnect to the library server. Here it seems a few more random thumbnails are added sometimes
- run new import on the server, thought it might trigger something but no

But what does sort of help is very odd: If I use the thumbnail size slider in the upper right corner and set it to really huuuuge thumbnails they all show up!!! But if I drag the slider down again setting it to more normal thumbnail sizes I'm back to a few random thumbnails.

Second thing I just found, a "mouse over" on a folder, and keeping the mouse there for a bunch of seconds, seems to trigger creating that particular thumbnail "pile". Does not work on albums.

Any ideas? Some setting I need to change? Bug?

PS:
I searched but couldn't find anything relevant, thumbnails are mentioned a lot so it was a bit hard to search for something useful

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Thumbnail problem on MC connected to MC library server
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 07:00:55 am »

I don't think it's a bug.  Scroll down in any view and wait.  The thumbnails should fill in.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 08:49:29 am »

Hmmm, maybe this confused MC? Or is it supposed to have these two Thumbnail directories? See screenshot from the client on the Raspberry Pi

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 09:20:49 am »

Scroll down in any view and wait.  The thumbnails should fill in.
Did you try this?

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 09:33:17 am »

Yes, nothing happened for another day.

But when I went to the server MC and went through and viewed ALL albums and waited for each album cover to show up (I set the view to smallest possible thumbnail so a lot of albums were visible at the same time and then scrolled through until all 10000 albums showed a cover) after this thumbnails started to appear on the client MC.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 09:00:02 pm »

You shouldn't have backslashed Thumbnail directories on the client.
I assume you are just connecting with library server?
You didn't copy anything manually?

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 01:28:49 am »

I didn't add the backslash or the directory path  ;D But my guess it might be from that I did a restore on the Linux client MC from a backup from the windows MC to get all my settings like a wanted them. Is this a general no no?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 08:19:32 am »

I didn't add the backslash or the directory path  ;D But my guess it might be from that I did a restore on the Linux client MC from a backup from the windows MC to get all my settings like a wanted them. Is this a general no no?
That's probably where it came from.
Things get even more complicated if you have used a portable library then connected to a library server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up