INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spotlight in JRemote?  (Read 295 times)

DangerJP

• World Citizen
Spotlight in JRemote?
« on: November 06, 2023, 01:03:54 pm »

My 2 cents  :)

I've been using MC since around 2015 and use it every day, especially for:
1. managing a large, local music collection and creating custom views;
2. Playing music around the house through JRemote running on iOS.

I've tried Roon and really like the user interface, but I didn't renew my subscription since it's nowhere near as flexible as MC for managing local content, and I don't use streaming too much (I juste use the Spotify app for that).
However, I must admit that Roon excels with:
1. the simplified use of filters (as opposed to "panes" in MC, which don't transfer too well to JRemote);
2. the dedicated artists, albums and genres views and the clickable links between them.

For my second point above, I think you really are onto something with Spotlight :) I dream of a Spolight integration using local metadata (MC fields) OR subscribed metadata, if needed. Using Spotlight through JRemote and navigating between artists, albums and genres would be the icing on the cake  ;D

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Spotlight in JRemote?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 11:08:35 pm »

Spotlight needs to go into JRemote. It's a great feature and getting better (I don't use it much because)

My MC server is a noisy desktop , so by definition well away from my listening spot. My use case is sat in a chair with an iPad with JRemote and Headphones so any features in MC like Spotlight , Wikipedia , Allmusic links are in another room.

Roon's app in general have the same feature set regardless of OS so I can browse on my iPad pretty much the same way as Windows

Even a link to a Wikipedia article would help

Just a thought ....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 07:14:20 am »

Spotlight needs to go into JRemote. It's a great feature and getting better (I don't use it much because)

My MC server is a noisy desktop , so by definition well away from my listening spot. My use case is sat in a chair with an iPad with JRemote and Headphones so any features in MC like Spotlight , Wikipedia , Allmusic links are in another room.
It's possible to use MC as a remote.  See Tremote in the Remotes topic on the wiki.  Any old laptop would work.  Or a Chromebook running the Linux version of MC.

I may split this to a new topic.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 01:14:12 pm »

1. the simplified use of filters (as opposed to "panes" in MC, which don't transfer too well to JRemote);

Maybe JRemote3 could implement panes ? That would be a great feature.
The "panes" view is what I use 100% of the time when I'm at a computer to browse my large collection.

I got Tab S9 Ultra tablet with a 14" screen and keyboard case last week, and I think the panes view would work well with that if it was available.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 01:17:18 pm »

Not sure if you have considered it, but it's possible to build completely silent desktops nowadays that are pretty powerful. I built two such machines in mid-tower cases in the last year, one of which now runs JRiver MC31 Media Server, among other things. Of course, you'll still want to listen in other rooms presumably, so you'll need a remote for that.

MikeO

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 02:03:43 am »

I understand what's available for silent PC's and laptops etc, MC processor requirement is not really that demanding so just about anything would suffice but I don't have an old laptop !! I moved to an iPad Pro 12.9 some years back.

My use case has changed over the years I am now virtually 100% headphones and with the move to Roon for most of my audio as outlined above I have invested in a NUC server with an internal SSD running Roon software (OS) and , yes before someone tells me ,  I could convert that to a Windows OS and run MC on it.

I was simply commenting that some of the really useful features of MC in a Windows (or Mac/Linux) environment and it would be nice to have in JRemote

Realistically until on demand streaming makes it's debut in JRiver I am unlikely to actively use it as my primary music source, only then will the absence of Wikipedia lookup , Spotlight etc in JRemote or what ever remote app I use will become a "missing feature". As I have said above I appreciate and respect JimH's view on streaming services but that absence makes MC that bit wanting in todays music environment.

I have commented this shortfall several times and have accepted that it will never happen , while that is the case I will stick to Roon and JRiver becomes simply a (very good) maintenance / tagging tool.

I am highly unlikely to invest in further hardware to make a piece of software run that is not meeting my needs , I am busy decluttering my system not enhancing it

My system nowadays is a NUC Server > Naim Streamer Headphone amp > Headphones , a Samsung Smart TV running Netflix and just a sound bar on the TV . No amps, no AVR , no speakers , very spartan

Pages: [1]   Go Up