INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded on New Laptop, but now what do I do?  (Read 408 times)

deepspace56

• Recent member
  • Using MC-22 for Audio
Upgraded on New Laptop, but now what do I do?
« on: November 11, 2023, 12:58:01 pm »

Apologies for the dumb questions, but my computer skills are very weak.

I just bought the MC-31 upgrad and installed on my new laptop.  That was the reason that I upgraded.  But I didn't do something(s) correctly.  MC does not see my library nor does it access the FLAC files on the external drive.

Maybe I should have done the upgrad on the old laptop to start?
If I had done that, maybe  I could have opened MC on the new laptop and avoided problems?
I really don't know where to begin to correct what I've done.  {lease help.
Thanks for your help.

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Upgraded on New Laptop, but now what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 01:36:57 pm »

Are you trying to make the new laptop your main MC with the library running on it?

Does the external hard drive have the same drive letter as it did on the old computer?

If you are trying to make the new PC the main library AND the hard drive letter is the same on both computers then you should be able to backup the library on the old computer and restore it on the new computer.

If you are trying to use the new computer to access the library on old computer over the network then you need to look at Media Sharing.

deepspace56

• Recent member
  • Using MC-22 for Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 01:54:31 pm »

rec head,

Thanks.  Answers are as follows:

Yes.  I'd like to make the new laptop the main MC with the library running on it.

It comes up as My Passport (E:) on the old laptop, but as My Passport (D:) on the new one.  Clearly that's a problem, but I'm not sure how I fix it.

BTW, I tried to "restore library" on a thumb drive from the old laptop and restore it on the new one.  The thumbnails didn't come accross, but it otherwise looks like the new latptop accepted this.  It wouldn't play files for the reason above. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 01:56:04 pm »

Google the Assign command.  It lets you change the drive letter.  It's part of the OS.

deepspace56

• Recent member
  • Using MC-22 for Audio
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 02:15:24 pm »

Jim,

Thanks.  Would renaming the drive mean that it would not then work with JRiver on the old laptop?  That's not a big issue.  Will having a different name mean that the hard drive would not work in a DVD player like Oppo?  I sometimes use the drive at the other house. 

After I change the name on the drive what do I need to do to get the thumbnails on the new laptop? Will that happen automatically?

Thanks again!

deepspace56

• Recent member
  • Using MC-22 for Audio
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 02:31:57 pm »

Huzzah!  Thanks.  When I " reassigned" the drive to E: it also restored the thumbnails.  Thanks again.

rec head

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 07:11:35 am »

This is a late reply and I'm glad you got it working. The drive letter is not physically assigned to the HDD it is just the name that Windows calls it. So changing it on one computer does not affect the other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up