INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC31 audio and tagging behaving strangely  (Read 393 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
MC31 audio and tagging behaving strangely
« on: November 23, 2023, 09:32:09 am »

I recently upgraded to MC31.  I backed up my Library, installed MC31, and restored my Library.  That all went as I expected.  I've noticed some strange things, though:

I configured Theater View to allow me to stream both Netflix and Amazon Prime through MC31.  I noticed one weird thing and one problem:

Weird: I have a Zone Switch configured, which worked as expected when I used MC28.  If <Media Type> is [Video] MC31 is supposed to route the signal through my HDMI output which is connected to an appropriate input on my pre-pro.  If <Media Type> is [Audio], MC31 is supposed to route the signal to a USB output which is connected to another device.  When streaming Netflix, the output was directed to my USB output; I expected it to go to the HDMI output.

Problem: about halfway through that same movie the sound stopped.  I restarted my pre-pro (it sometimes gives me problems, but never before in the middle of a song/ movie), I checked the MC31 internal volume to be sure it didn't magically reset, I checked my Windows settings, I restarted MC31, I restarted computer.  None of those steps restored the sound.  Using my Client computer, I came back to the movie a couple of days later and it played just fine when I picked up where I left off.

Yesterday I was watching a ripped TV Episode on my Server computer using my main system.  After a while the sound dropped out again.  Again, all attempts at restoring sound were unsuccessful.  Just for fun, I shut down MC31 and started MC28: the TV Episode played just fine.

Starting MC28 again made me notice another weird thing: all the {Key Word] tags for every episode in that particular Show had been reset.  It wasn't a big deal to retag the episodes, but I can't imagine why the tags would be been changed when I restored an existing Library. 

Thanks for integrating Netflix and Prime into MC.  I hope these weird things I've noticed have been solved already...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC31 audio and tagging behaving strangely
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 09:49:43 am »

Power cycle everything.

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 03:16:44 pm »

Just power cycled everything...

Prior to opening this forum and subsequently power cycling MC31 dropped out playing an audio track (which it hadn't done before.  After trying a few things I switched to MC28 and it also dropped audio output after a couple of minutes.  Something weird is going on.

I'll report back after my system has played a while after I cycled all the components' power at the same time.

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 07:19:58 pm »

Worked for a while, but the audio disappeared again.  I double checked my Windows settings and "internal" volume is set to 100%.  I haven't reinstalled MC, but I guess that's the next step.

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 08:41:28 pm »

I don't remember having done this: I started a TV episode using MC31.  The sound disappeared at 31 minutes (about three times longer than previous incidents).  I switched inputs on my pre-pro, just in case this problem is some weirdness between MC31 and my Zone Switch constructed within MC28.  Switching inputs didn't restore sound.  So I'm back to asking what's going on. 

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 10:15:05 pm »

Made a fresh install of MC31 and re-restored the MC28 Library which was working prior to my switching to MC31.  The early result is the sound drop-out may be resolved.  I've watched one video file without drop-out.

My ZoneSwitch doesn't appear to be working properly, though.  I have two Zones set up: 2channel and Multichannel.  The Rules I have set up are:

If [Media Type] is Audio, play 2channel, stop playing Multichannel.
If [Media Type] is Video, play Multichannel, stop plating 2Channel.

Zone 2Channel is set up with a default Audio Device called Eitr and the signal is supposed to be routed through a USB output from my laptop.
Zone Multichannel is set up with a default Audio Device called HSR41 and the signal is supposed to be routed through the HDMI output.

The strange thing is the switching isn't happening properly, or something.  Whenever I play any Media file, MC31 selects Player, which is currently configured with the default Audio Device HSR41 and plays through the HDMI output.  The good news is if I manually switch between 2Channel, Multichannel and Player the signals are routed where they should go and I have output now.  But changing Zones used to happen automatically, and the Zone called Player was never selected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up