INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Takes an inordinate amout of time to shut MC down.  (Read 561 times)

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Takes an inordinate amout of time to shut MC down.
« on: November 24, 2023, 07:37:29 am »

Most of the time when I decided to shut MC down by hitting the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the window, it takes upwards of 7 to 8 seconds for the music to stop and MC shuts down.

I am not sure when this started but it's more noticeable to me for some reason.  Is this typical behavior for MC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Takes an inordinate amout of time to shut MC down.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 07:46:34 am »

No, but what happens if you press the stop button first?

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 07:56:35 am »

The same thing happens.  After stopping the music, which happens almost instantaneously, I mouse over to the "X", it immediately turns red, and I click on it.  The red "dims" out and I get the spinning circle indicating that something is waiting for a response and then the window closes after about 7 or 8 seconds.

It's no biggie.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 03:58:38 pm »

Try enabling logging, HELP>Logging>select 'Output to a log file' then shutdown. The log may give some clue as to what MC is doing.
I have experienced longer shutdown times when a network DLNA device has been in use and then is no longer present on the network when MC shuts down.
EDIT: to view the log file, restart MC go to HELP>Logging click 'Report problem', this will create a zip file on your desktop. Open the zip file, the file Previous log.txt is the file that will show the shutdown events.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 08:30:09 am »

I did what you suggested.  One glaring indicator in the file Previous Log, "0166881: 37184: Playback: CPlayerZone::Stop: Finish (7510 ms)" stood out.

I have attached the complete file if you would be so kind to analyze it.

Thank you.

(By the way, this happens on multiple computers that I have MC31 installed on)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 11:39:25 am »

"Destroying synchronize database" takes 12 seconds:

0147141: 37184: General: CMCToolsCore::StopTools: Start
0147141: 37184: General: CMCToolsCore::StopTools: Stopping tools
0147141: 37184: General: CMCToolsCore::StopTools: Stopping loader thread
(...)
0147212: 37184: General: CMCToolsCore::StopTools: Destroying synchronize database
(...)
: 37184: General: CMCToolsCore::StopTools: Destroying handheld engine

Stopping Playback -> "Fading out" takes 7.4 seconds:

0159371: 37184: General: CMCShutdownHelper::Cleanup: Stopping playback
0159371: 37184: Playback: CPlayerZone::Stop: Start
0159371: 37184: Playback: CPlayerZone::Stop: Checking for not loaded playback engine
0159371: 37184: Playback: CPlayerZone::Stop: Firing stop to playback engine
0159371: 37184: Playback: CMJPlayerCore::Stop: Start
0159371: 37184: Playback: CMJPlayerCore::Stop: Fading out
: 37184: Playback: CMJPlayerCore::Stop: Closing feeder thread
(...)
0166832: 37184: Playback: CMJPlayerCore::Stop: Finish (7460 ms)

(first number in each line is milliseconds since start)

There are settings in MC to adjust fadeout duration. I don't know what would cause the first 12 second delay though. Are these seen on MC clients or MC server? If the database is on a NAS or MC Server connected via WiFi, perhaps the delay is just network slowness or other connectivity issues.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 04:32:35 pm »

From @zybex's analysis of the log (thanks!), I would have a look at TOOLS>Options>Handheld to check what sync settings you have for devices and if there are devices listed there that you do not use consider removing them (Remove & Ignore device).
I don't have any devices set to sync and this is what I get in my shutdown log:
0060677: 7268: General: CMCToolsCore::StopTools: Destroying synchronize database
0060677: 7268: General: CMCToolsCore::StopTools: Destroying handheld engine
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 08:22:13 am »

Thanks gents!

I don't have any "Handheld" devices either.  As a test, I copied my entire music library from my QNAP NAS to a local USB SSD and set up a test library on that drive.  Zero problems with almost instantaneous shutdown as expected.

Must be some sort of issue with having the music files on the QNAP NAS but am not sure what the issue would be.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 03:31:55 pm »

The music files can and should remain on the NAS. The database (Library) however should NOT be in the NAS, it's really slow to do that. It must remain in your SSD, and you can configure the daily backups to go to the NAS for safety.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 03:40:46 pm »

In my normal, slow to shutdown config, the library is on the boot SSD and the music is on the NAS.  The test case I set up had both on a local SSD.  Sorry for the confusion.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 03:48:45 pm »

It's more likely then that the issue is something in your current DB settings, and by making a new one you're just reverting all settings to default. Maybe try creating a new library while still keeping the files on the NAS, just to rule that out.

Did you check if anything is showing up in Tools->Options->Handheld?

Maybe someone from MC team can chime in with other possible causes for those 2 delays.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 08:01:20 am »

Zybex, I suspect you are right regarding database issue but to have that same issue across multiple computer systems seems odd.

In any event, I deleted the two libraries I had on this box, Main and Test, and started anew with the files on the NAS and the library on my local SSD and, for the time being, things appear to be working normally.  I'll do the same thing with the remaining computers and declare "Mission Accomplished".

Thanks for everyone's help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up