INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver v31--wont recognize that I've loaded a CD for burning  (Read 314 times)

veloce

JRiver v31--wont recognize that I've loaded a CD for burning
« on: November 24, 2023, 10:48:37 am »

I have just upgraded to JRiver version 31.  When I try to burn a disc, JRiver no longer recognizes that I have loaded a writable CD--
just keeps re-asking me to load a CD. I have not burned a CD in a couple of months, so I don't know if the upgrade from JR 30
is the reason. Though I tried again on v30 and had the same problem. Reconfigured and ultimately turned-off Windows Defender
firewall, uninstalled JRiver 30, rebooted the system, and still having the problem.  I am using Windows 10. I am not a computer
expert so please help in a way that I can understand.  Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver v31--wont recognize that I've loaded a CD for burning
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 10:55:53 am »

Configure Windows Defender.

Any other antivirus?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 04:03:22 pm »

I have a similar problem, but with MC often not recognizing audio CDs for ripping.  When I open my external USB CD player by using MC Tree > Drives and Devices > Compact Disc > Right Mouse Button (RMB) menu > Eject, insert CD, push drawer closed, then CD is not recognized.  I keep getting the attached error message and the drawer pops open.  Wash, rinse, and repeat.

However, if I open the same drive from a Windows desktop shortcut for CD drive > RMB menu > Eject, insert CD, close drawer, then MC recognizes the CD every time (no error message) and marches on allowing me to do the rip.

Another way is to unplug the USB cable to the CD drive and re-plug it in.  Then open drawer from within MC, as described, and MC recognizes the CD.  This annoying procedure also works every time.  Rebooting the computer also fixes it temporarily.

Still another aspect is that once a CD has been ripped, if I soon go on to rip another, there are no issues with MC opening the drive and proceeding.  However, if I wait long enough before trying the next rip, then things go back to square one.

I reported these behaviors previously, but so far no fixes from JRiver:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136825.msg948621.html#msg948621

So I'm curious, is your CD drive internal to the computer or external, and how are you opening it to insert the disc?

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (64-bit)    MC 31.0.87
LG Slim Portable DVD Writer Model SP60NB50, Manufactured April 2014, ROM Ver. 1.00
Reported in Windows Device Manager as:  HL-DT-ST DVDRAM SP60NB50 USB Device

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 02:29:53 pm »

I may have stumbled upon a root cause, thanks to @gappie's recent post to a different but possibly related issue:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,137598.msg954237.html#msg954237

I believe my Windows Settings > Blue Tooth & devices > AutoPlay > Choose AutoPlay defaults has for a long time been set to
(1) "Open folder to view files (File Explorer)".

I tried changing it to
(2) "Ask me every time" and
(3) "Take no action".

With either of these last two settings, I don't see my previously described problems (Reply #2 above) using MC Tree > Drives and Devices > Compact Disc > RMB eject.

It will take a while for me to fully vet.  I post now, possibly prematurely, so that (hopefully) JRiver will investigate and respond re the behavior of MC's CD ripping/burning to these Windows settings.

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (64-bit)    MC 31.0.87
LG Slim Portable DVD Writer Model SP60NB50, Manufactured April 2014, ROM Ver. 1.00
Reported in Windows Device Manager as:  HL-DT-ST DVDRAM SP60NB50 USB Device
Pages: [1]   Go Up