INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Library Server has failed to start" [Solved]  (Read 296 times)

wburkett

• World Citizen
"Library Server has failed to start" [Solved]
« on: November 25, 2023, 04:01:51 pm »

I installed JMRC 31 a couple of weeks ago and have had several problems with it that I can't solve.

The first and foremost problem is the subject: "Library Server has failed to start".  I can't get panel or eos to connect and don't know what to do.

My network debugging skills are not great.  As near as I can tell the port is not in use using "netstat -ano" and Norton Security says "Media Center 31  All, Direction: In/Out, Computer: Any, Communications: Any, Protocol: All" so the firewall seems to look fine.

I did uninstall older versions of MC after installing 31.  I wonder if this impacted anything.

What do I do next?

Bill B

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: "Library Server has failed to start"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 04:41:23 pm »

Make sure Library Server from your prior version isn't running.  Something else running on the same port could cause trouble.

Norton could cause problems. 

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 05:42:12 pm »

Thanks, Jim - I uninstalled the previous versions already.  In fact, I just uninstalled and reinstalled MC 31, and restored my library with no change - still getting "Library Server has failed to start" error.  Perhaps the restore held on to something that was and is misconfigured.

Even without the restore, when I "configure media network" with a fresh install, I still get "Library server has failed to start".  I have no idea where to go to look for what's blocking it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 05:56:32 pm »

Uninstall Norton

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 06:57:31 pm »

Uninstall Norton

Well - it could very well be something Norton is doing.  However, this problem is two weeks old (since installing 31) and I have many years of using MC successfully with Norton installed, so uninstalling Norton seems rather drastic and a bit "blame it on the other guy". 

I'm googling various port inspection commands.  "netsh firewall show state" explicitly states:

"Ports currently open on all network interfaces:
Port   Protocol  Version  Program
-------------------------------------------------------------------
52199  TCP       Any      (null)"

That is the port in question, but I don't know if this status is meaningful.

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 07:31:43 pm »

So it was Norton, Jim: I disabled Auto-Protect and Smart Firewall and Panel fired right up.  I then reenabled both Norton services and both Panel and my Android app still are working.  I wonder what caused them to get their wires crossed.

In any event: thank you - the problem is solved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up