INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Libraries  (Read 461 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Libraries
« on: December 01, 2023, 11:14:38 am »

I've read and re-read the Wiki on Libraries, and I think I have it, but I clearly don't. I'm a music-only user, and I have all my music in one library. I use a PC to run the MC client, and I'm attached to an Id NUC as my server. I created a new Library, but because I'm new to this function, I immediately tried to return to my main Library with File -> Library, and choosing it from the list (just to make sure I can switch between them as easily as some folks say), and something is messed up.

My library is called bytor. When I tried to select bytor from the File -> Library menu, the client reports, "There are no files. Double-click here to add files to the library." Yikes!

Going back to the File -> Library menu, I see not one, but TWO libraries in the list called "Main Library", and both behave identically: they show all of my music files, but trying to play anything results in an error message saying, "Something went wrong with playback. Details: The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the Library matches the filename on disk." DOUBLE YIKES!

So, I quickly deleted the new (completely empty, untouched) Library I created, hoping that would somehow restore things to where they were just moments before, but alas no. I've rebooted the Id, I've restarted the Client... no luck.

Interestingly, I'm able to play my music no problem through JRemote (on my phone), and using JRemote as a controller for the Id on my home stereo, so this is a Client issue. And that's how smart I am.  :-\

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Libraries
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 01:33:45 pm »

If you're using MC in client / server mode, create any new libraries on the server.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 02:03:23 pm »

Thank you Jim.

How do I get my regular library back? When I load (Selecting it from Client File -> Library list) it, I get a prompt saying, "Files will be loaded in the background." Nothing loads, then I instantly get an error: "There was a problem retrieving files from the selected DLNA server. Please ensure that the server you are connecting to supports search, and that it is running properly. Your library may be incomplete until you correct the problem and reload the library." Nothing about my server (Id NUC) or NAS (file storage) has changed.

I don't think I need any FILES loaded... (plus, that creates a whole new set of Import Dates for my files, and I use that field for analytics, so I DO NOT want to re-import!). I'm just trying to reconnect to my regular library, which worked fine on Tuesday, via Client. I'm just not sure what went wrong, after I created an empty Library, and then panic-deleted it, once I couldn't get back to my good ol' solid collection of tunes...

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 04:27:47 pm »

Restore a backup on the Id. Uninstall everything on the PC and start over with a new client.  As Jim suggested... seems like you created your new library on the client (PC),  and maybe that's where everything got messed up.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 08:28:47 am »

If JRemote is working then the Id database/library is fine.
You can try renaming those 2 existing libraries (right-click -> Rename), and try to connect again to the Id again with "Add Library...". You can always delete the library connections you create on the Client once you get one of them working.

PS @JRiver: It's not possible to change the connection settings on an existing client library. Wasn't this possible before?

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 01:29:41 pm »

1. Uninstalled the Client from my Win10 PC (but did NOT tick the box where it says "Do not check if upgrading").
2. Downloaded and installed new client MediaCenter310087-x64.exe
3. File -> Library -> Library Manager, Add Library, using the same name as I always do ("Bytor"), and using the key I have (I'm using the library on my Id NUC).
4. Library appears, all 270,713 files, but they won't play. Double-clicking results in the same error: "The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on disk."

Again, files play fine on my iPhone (JRemote), and using JRemote to control playback on the Id NUC.

Weird...

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 03:21:22 pm »

Strange. Can you access the files (NAS?) from this PC?

On the Server settings (Id), try unchecking "Play local file if one that matches Library Server is found" (use the search box in Options to find it).

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 04:43:21 pm »

Sure, I have a Synology NAS, and I can access the files through DiskStation Manager (DSM) on my PC through my home network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up