INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Resource Usage And Crash  (Read 380 times)

nathanCFD

• Recent member
MC Resource Usage And Crash
« on: December 07, 2023, 07:51:52 pm »

I've posted about this issue a few weeks ago; I've just downloaded MC31 to see if it'd help.

My issue is: MC is using up to 100% of the LAN and disk to play files; after a few minutes it crashes when playing 4K content.  Usage does not get high enough to cause the PC to crash when playing 1080 content.

Tested same files with VLC, and all is fine.

Tested with and without bitstreaming; tested with madVR, no-madVR, tested with "out-of-the-box" settings - same results.

Since I asked about this last time, I've replaced:

1) The network card
2) The hard drive, the sata cable, and tried other mobo sata ports
3) Upgraded vid card to RTX 3060 (which did bring my "crash time" from five minutes of playback to twelve minutes)
4) Network Switch *
5) All the network cables *

*Note: I have another PC on the same network switch running MC30 and they are totally fine, but it was time for a new switch anyhow :)

There's just nothing left to replace at this point except the mobo!

This is my "master HTPC" in the home theatre.  It's connected to a Denon AVR-S750H.  The projector connected to the AVR is an Epson Home Cinema 5050 UB.

The "control" HTPC I'm using to compare to (on the same network switch) is connected to a Denon AVR-S570BT and the display is a Sony Bravia.

Both PC's now have RTX 3060 vid cards - the control PC has an i9; the one I'm having issues with has an i5 processor. 

All of that is probably irrelevant, but maybe someone may see something in those details and have an idea.

I've used MC for about 15 years, and never had a problem I couldn't eventually sort out, but I have no idea how to fix this.

I'll upload images of the resource usage - any help, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Resource Usage And Crash
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 09:49:51 pm »

Are you using a remote desktop program?

What are you playing?

nathanCFD

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 08:59:58 am »

Hi Jim,

At the time I took the screenshots - yes, I was using Splashtop Remote Desktop.  But, the results are the same when using or not using the Remote Desktop.

File playing was Indy 2, Temple of Doom 4K.

Note: Forgot to mention - this issue does not occur when playing the same file from the SSD; it only occurs when accessing the file on the JR Media Library Server.  Which is why I replaced all of the LAN components.  When I posted about this a few weeks ago, I had tested using an ethernet cable run directly from the Server to the HTPC with the same results but figured upgrading wouldn't be a horrible idea anyhow.

When VLC accesses the file, it too is playing from the media server, just not through the JR media library system.  It's accessing the file natively: Network>Media Server PC>Folder>File

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 09:30:03 am »

Antivirus?

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 03:51:24 pm »

I think what's happening here is that MC is trying to get your 4k file and cache it in the MC temp folder. To check, use Windows Resource Manager, select the Disk tab and see if there is major disk write activity to a .cnk file in the MC temp folder during attempted playback.

To fix the issue if that is the case, you will need to make the file appear as a local file to your client and select the option Tools>Options>Media Network>Client Options>'Play local file if one that matches Library Server is found' on the client MC instance.

You will need to share the video files so that the client can access the file directly over the network and make sure the server uses the same file designation. So, for example, share the server folder as \\myMCserver\video and make sure the client can see that share. Rename your server file in MC from (for example) D:\video\Indiana4k.mkv to \\myMCserver\video\Indiana4k.mkv then try playing from the client.
Good luck.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

nathanCFD

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 06:18:41 pm »

Antivirus?

eset on all machines; I did test with and without.  When I replaced HD, I installed MC right after W10 updates were done to make sure nothing was conflicting.

nathanCFD

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 06:32:04 pm »

[...] you will need to make the file appear as a local file to your client and select the option Tools>Options>Media Network>Client Options>'Play local file if one that matches Library Server is found' on the client MC instance.  You will need to share the video files so that the client can access the file directly over the network and make sure the server uses the same file designation.

Hi Terry,

And, YES - that was it!  Been testing for about 75 minutes and usage is nearly zero across the board.  Can't thank you enough for the reply!

The step suggested in your analysis that immediately fixed the issue was to map the drives used by JRMS on the HTPC playing the files.  That was literally all I did and it immediately corrected the issue.

In case anyone else is searching; some more info: On all of my other PCs that access the media server and are working fine, I have not needed to map the drives.  BUT, all of those PC require a windows log-in and password (which is the same as the media server).  I assume the top level log-on is passing through the credentials to the network and media server.  The PC in the theatre does not require log-on as it boots directly to MC Theatre View.  While I was troubleshooting, I did create a username and password (same as media server) and it did not help, but I never actually mapped the drives.  I had previously removed the password from the account so it'd boot to MC.  Even though there's no password, mapping the drives has seemed to have fixed the situation.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 01:33:19 am »

And, YES - that was it!  Been testing for about 75 minutes and usage is nearly zero across the board.  Can't thank you enough for the reply!

You're welcome, glad it fixed for you.  :)
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome
Pages: [1]   Go Up