INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get MC31 to rip  (Read 743 times)

wbt0927

• Recent member
Can't get MC31 to rip
« on: December 18, 2023, 07:41:43 pm »

I'm looking for a music management system and I've been using both JRiver and Roon on a trial basis. After using Roon for a few days I decided to try to rip a few cds but quickly realized that Roon's ripping program is going to be problematic for me. I thought that for the cost Roon would provide the best ripping software on the planet but it seems that the ripping software program is pretty far down on the priority list for Roon. I've heard good things about JRiver, and of course it is more reasonably priced, but I can't seem to get the ripping program to work.

I'm using a MackBook Pro with up to date software and the latest version of MC (I think). When I try to rip a cd I get the message: "There are no tracks available to rip."

I've searched the forum and noticed that other people have had the same problem but I did not find a solution to the problem.

MC does not seem to see the external drive. I checked permissions and that does not seem to be the problem. Is there something in the initial download or setup that I've missed? I tried a number of cds and more than one external drive but it didn't help.

I would appreciate any suggestions.   Thanks   Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't get MC31 to rip
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 06:33:07 am »

Can you play audio from the CD? 

In MC or another program?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 09:39:28 am »

I'm looking for a music management system and I've been using both JRiver and Roon on a trial basis. After using Roon for a few days I decided to try to rip a few cds but quickly realized that Roon's ripping program is going to be problematic for me. I thought that for the cost Roon would provide the best ripping software on the planet but it seems that the ripping software program is pretty far down on the priority list for Roon. I've heard good things about JRiver, and of course it is more reasonably priced, but I can't seem to get the ripping program to work.

I'm using a MackBook Pro with up to date software and the latest version of MC (I think). When I try to rip a cd I get the message: "There are no tracks available to rip."

I've searched the forum and noticed that other people have had the same problem but I did not find a solution to the problem.

MC does not seem to see the external drive. I checked permissions and that does not seem to be the problem. Is there something in the initial download or setup that I've missed? I tried a number of cds and more than one external drive but it didn't help.

I would appreciate any suggestions.   Thanks   Bill
System Preferences
Cds & DVDs
When you insert a music CD set to Ignore.

Security & Privacy

Media Center 31
Removable Volumes should be checked.

The first time MC tries to access a CD it should have asked for the above permission.
The CD/DVD will then appear in MC under Drives and Devices WHEN A CD IS INSERTED.

If this doesn't work for you describe your system in more detail (MacOS version, MC version, etc)

wbt0927

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 06:59:06 pm »

Bob: MC31 did not ask for permission regarding removable volumes and so the cd never appeared under Drives and Devices. MC31 is listed under Files and Folders and Full Disk Access in Privacy and Security. When I try to rip a cd I get the message that: "There are no tracks available to rip." The cd will not play either: "There is nothing to play." The action window says Initializing for rip... but nothing happens. I'm running Sonoma 14.2 on a 2018 MacBook Pro, MC 31, Apple Super Drive (I've tried other drives). Cds play normally on Apple Music with the same external drive.  Thanks for your time   Bill

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 10:55:33 pm »

Bob: MC31 did not ask for permission regarding removable volumes and so the cd never appeared under Drives and Devices. MC31 is listed under Files and Folders and Full Disk Access in Privacy and Security. When I try to rip a cd I get the message that: "There are no tracks available to rip." The cd will not play either: "There is nothing to play." The action window says Initializing for rip... but nothing happens. I'm running Sonoma 14.2 on a 2018 MacBook Pro, MC 31, Apple Super Drive (I've tried other drives). Cds play normally on Apple Music with the same external drive.  Thanks for your time   Bill
Are you running the current MC?
I get a couple of "no files" while the disc is registered but as soon as it settles I see all of the tracks to rip.
Same MacOS as you.
Audio CD appears on my desktop.
Since it was my first use it asked for permissions for removable drives.

You don't have some third party app (malware scanner or something) controlling access do you?

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 07:11:31 am »

I'm not sure if this is related. If I insert a disc and click on Rip in the action window, nothing happens.  If I click on the drive in drives and devices, I get to the rip screen.  Once I have done that, then I can leave and the come back via the action window.

In the attached image, you can see that the drive has a disc that has been recognized but I was unable to use the Rip link in the action window at this time.

Environment info: MC 31.0.83,  macOS Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71),  Mac Mini M2 Pro

wbt0927

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 06:40:19 pm »

Bob: The album name finally appeared under Drives and Devices and when I clicked on it the tracks appeared in the panel on the right and the rip started. The rip was slow (25 minutes for 14 tracks) periodically the rip would stop and the spinning rainbow would appear. I tried 3 more cds and each one started and ripped 2 or 3 tracks and then stopped with the message: "Rip Failed" in the action window. It seems as if the program is unstable. Everything I try to do within MC 31 seems to happen in slow motion. There is a hesitation when I click on a menu item before it responds and the spinning rainbow pops up quite often. Would it make sense to trash the .dmg for MC 31 and download a fresh copy?   Thanks  Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 01:06:01 am »

You don't have some third party app (malware scanner or something) controlling access do you?
That was my guess, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up