INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to pass Hi-Res Audio via HDMI to AVR - only getting 48kHz 24-bit  (Read 553 times)

romus

• Recent member

Hi,

Trying to pass Hi-Res Audio via HDMI to AVR - only getting 48kHz 24-bit.

As I understand it the pathways (hardware and software from the original file to player has to be compatible with the format you want to play, so I have tried to provide the information below.

Hoping to get some help.

In JRiver, I can play external 96 kHz 24-bit flac file from my Hard drive.
But, when I try and play Hi-Res music from the Qobuz App on PC (set to Wasapi - JRiver driver), and to play in Qobuz settings > Hi-Res 24-Bit / up to 96 kHz) From JRiver which is set to Audio Devicwe> DENON-AVR (Intel(R) Display Audio) [WASAPI] driver, play the file and check
Tools>Audio path, I see the input and output both showing 24 kHz 24-bit. The files I am testing on Qobus is 'Walking the Line (96 Khz) by Oscar Peterson, and it says it is, "Available in 24-Bit 96 kHs - Stereo". If I play a 24-bit/44.1 kHz - Stereo file in Qobuz, I also get the input and output in JRiver Tools>Audio Path showing 24 kHz 24-bit.(see attached)

As I understand it JRiver Media Player Tools>Audio path shows the final playing format, So I thought the sampling rate could be limited at the AVR.
The AVR is Denon AVRX2200W, and the Driver shows supported format to include 24-Bit / up to 96 kHz (see attached).

I don't have an HDMI port on my computer, so I use The display port with DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter - 4K 60Hz [StarTech DP2HD4K60H (https://www.startech.com/en-nz/display-video-adapters/dp2hd4k60h (see attacked))] Then into that I connect a High Speed HDMI cable into the AVR (I use the 4th HDMI input, which says "game", but I think that doesn't matter, as long as it is asigned to Digital, which it is. As I understand it, Both HDMI and DisplayPorts support up to 8 digital audio channels at up to 24 bit and 192 kHz.

I can play 24-Bit / up to 96 kHz (and higher) and DSD64 in a flash drive into the front of the AVR.

In JRiver my settings are:
Tools> Denon wasapi driver selected, 'Open device for exclusive access', selected.
DSP>Output path>Output Encoding> None,  Channels> 'Source number of channels' Sample rate> to match Input with Output. Bitstreming "Yes (HDMI)"

Hopefully you can help me.
Warwick
Music, DVD, etc within JRiver, Netflix, from browser.
Windows 10, HP laptop, external screen via Display port.
JRiver Media Centre WDM Driver in Windows audio.
Dolby Atmos for Headphones, for Netflix.
JRiver selects audio driver to DI (Babyface Pro).
Using EQ and VSTs in DSP Studio.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Trying to pass Hi-Res Audio via HDMI to AVR - only getting 48kHz 24-bit
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 04:52:27 am »

if the audio is routed via jriver WDM then what is that configured to produce? the pics say the MC input is 48kHz so I would think that must be set to 48

romus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 03:25:50 pm »

if the audio is routed via jriver WDM then what is that configured to produce? the pics say the MC input is 48kHz so I would think that must be set to 48
Yes, when I reset jriver WDM to 96kHz the files now all play at 96 (see attached). So, since all files play at that, that must mean jriver is resampling if the file is below or above the set sample rate, correct?

I wonder how to take it out of shared mode?

Cheers
Music, DVD, etc within JRiver, Netflix, from browser.
Windows 10, HP laptop, external screen via Display port.
JRiver Media Centre WDM Driver in Windows audio.
Dolby Atmos for Headphones, for Netflix.
JRiver selects audio driver to DI (Babyface Pro).
Using EQ and VSTs in DSP Studio.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 03:29:28 pm »

WDM needs to be set to allow exclusive mode in Windows Sound Control Panel - Properties.  If not, WDM would then convert to the shared mode sample rate, which is often 48/24.

You can test that Qobuz has exclusive access by trying to play to WDM from another program while Qobuz is playing to WDM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up