INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC doesn't see my optical drive for 'rip disc' in Action Window [Solved]  (Read 459 times)

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck

I have been unsuccessful in ripping a CD to my library.  I am using the 'rip disc' command in Action Window.  I am on MC 31, latest version, and my macOS is Ventura 13.5.2.

When I click on 'insert a disc and click here', nothing happens.  In Finder, the optical is visible, and all the tracks on the CD are listed, with the correct titles for all the tracks.  I tried another optical drive, clicked on 'insert disc and click here', and again, nothing happens.

If things were working correctly, what should I see?  Is there a way to enable logging that will tell me what's going on?

Can anyone help me diagnose what is going on?

Thank you, in advance, for any help you can provide...Go Bills
Ron 

Lafcadio

Re: MC doesn't see my optical drive for 'rip disc' in Action Window
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 05:13:44 pm »

Same problem here. I was using an earlier version (26), where burning was sometimes hit-or-miss (I'd have to quit and restart, eject and re-insert, etc.). Now I'm seeing the same problems you are. And at the risk of complicating things, when I just copied the files over using import to library (I'm only working with AIFF so no converting, just copying), it will only play the first several seconds of a track and then all goes silent as the play appears to progress according to the clock; sound returns some 15-20 seconds in. I'm going to try version 26 and see if the problem still occurs. I've also ordered a new optical drive (they're cheap) which should arrive tomorrow. Will report back.

Michael

2019 imac core i3
running Sonoma 14.2.1
using old apple superdrive

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 05:35:12 pm »

I'm having absolutely no issues with this in 14.2.1 and the latest MC31.

Check to make sure MC31 has access to removable volumes and that you aren't using some other software interfering with access to the CD drive.
You should also set the Action on install of a CD to Ignore. See the attached pics.

Lafcadio

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 05:38:21 pm »

Confirming MC31 has access to removable volumes and action on insert CD is set to ignore. Perhaps some other software is interfering, but I don't know what that would be.

I reverted to version 26 and it found and burned 2 CDs. So I am pretty confident the inability to locate CDs and files therein is an issue with version 31.

However, it's still cutting out the first few seconds of each track. Will try new optical drive tomorrow and see if that's the issue.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 05:44:46 pm »

Confirming MC31 has access to removable volumes and action on insert CD is set to ignore. Perhaps some other software is interfering, but I don't know what that would be.

I reverted to version 26 and it found and burned 2 CDs. So I am pretty confident the inability to locate CDs and files therein is an issue with version 31.

However, it's still cutting out the first few seconds of each track. Will try new optical drive tomorrow and see if that's the issue.
It's not disabled in MC's features is it?
Search for Features in the Options search.

Lafcadio

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 05:59:16 pm »

Yes, CD ripping is selected as a feature. But there are no sub-settings in my features list like the image above appears.

Correction: I see the sub-options under "CD & DVD" option.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 06:16:11 pm »

Yes, CD ripping is selected as a feature. But there are no sub-settings in my features list like the image above appears.

Correction: I see the sub-options under "CD & DVD" option.
What's the drive's device? (like /dev/rdisk8 in my example)

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 07:48:38 pm »

I tried the things that Bob suggested.  In System Settings, under CDs and DVDs, when a music CD is inserted, I set it to 'ignore'.  When I first looked in that setting, the previous option was to open MC 27.  As it turns out, I had recently deleted MC 27, so perhaps that was the reason that nothing happened.

Moving on, Bob suggested to make sure my antivirus wasn't precluding anything.

Long story short, after I restarted the iMac, the optical drive now shows up under 'Drives and Devices', all the tracks show up, and now, when I select 'rip disc' in the Action Window, everything works.

Bob, thank you for pointing me in the right direction for isolating the problem...
Ron

Lafcadio

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 07:53:31 pm »

What's the drive's device? (like /dev/rdisk8 in my example)

Mine says /dev/rdisk3

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 09:13:18 pm »

Mine says /dev/rdisk3
Turn on logging in MC. Post a log here or do the "report problem" function under Help->Logging.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 09:13:52 pm »

I tried the things that Bob suggested.  In System Settings, under CDs and DVDs, when a music CD is inserted, I set it to 'ignore'.  When I first looked in that setting, the previous option was to open MC 27.  As it turns out, I had recently deleted MC 27, so perhaps that was the reason that nothing happened.

Moving on, Bob suggested to make sure my antivirus wasn't precluding anything.

Long story short, after I restarted the iMac, the optical drive now shows up under 'Drives and Devices', all the tracks show up, and now, when I select 'rip disc' in the Action Window, everything works.

Bob, thank you for pointing me in the right direction for isolating the problem...
Ron
Good to hear, thanks for reporting back!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 11:14:41 pm »

Thanks for reporting the solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up