INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions, Requests  (Read 1105 times)

kostasha

• nothing more to say...
Questions, Requests
« on: February 10, 2003, 11:06:13 am »

I was looking around the Net for a program to help me implement a PC based Digital Music Library, and after some research I decided MC9 is the best suited to what I wanted.

I did play around with the MJ8 version and now with the MC9 Beta and I would like to present some questions and/or requests for features.

In my Project the Audio Quality is of outmost importance, since I plan to use a modified PC as the primary source for a very High-End Audio system.
I have tried the new real time upsampling/ upconverting feature and I think is a great idea.  Any chance the filter allows for more coefficients and noise sapping that scales with the PCs power?. Better still can it be a way the sound is routed via an ActiveX or VST plug-in for further manipulation in real time?
CD reaping is already excellent but would it be possible to include C2 and offset utilization for supported devices?
I am using a Yamaha CRW-F1 CD recorder, any chance you will support Advanced Audio Master Quality Recording along with BurnProof mode for this Writer in the future?

Getting most of the CD information consistently via an online database is so convenient that after trying it out no1 can go back manually entering the information.
I have noticed that with the MC9 you only support the YADB database.   Any chance the final product supports more options regarding Online/Offline DB support?

I would like to add that the Hairstyle Mode is an excellent concept towards the HTPC and I am looking forward to it evolving and maybe have an editor or 'wizard' for personalizing control pages also?

Furthermore I use an AMX control system and I am investigating the integration that can be achieved with MC9.
AMX has an ActiveX object, called !-PCLinkPlus, which can be relatively easily integrated into a source code and provide 'seamless' control of a software player using their external NetLinx devices.

Congratulations on a product with the scope of  MC9   8)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Questions, Requests
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 04:47:21 am »

In my Project the Audio Quality is of outmost importance, since I plan to use a modified PC as the primary source for a very High-End Audio system.
I have tried the new real time upsampling/ upconverting feature and I think is a great idea.  Any chance the filter allows for more coefficients and noise sapping that scales with the PCs power?.

This area is new and more may happen, but I'm not sure of the details.

Better still can it be a way the sound is routed via an ActiveX or VST plug-in for further manipulation in real time?

Not at this time.

CD ripping is already excellent but would it be possible to include C2 and offset utilization for supported devices?

Not yet.

I am using a Yamaha CRW-F1 CD recorder, any chance you will support Advanced Audio Master Quality Recording along with BurnProof mode for this Writer in the future?

Possible, but no estimate on when.

Getting most of the CD information consistently via an online database is so convenient that after trying it out no1 can go back manually entering the information.
I have noticed that with the MC9 you only support the YADB database.   Any chance the final product supports more options regarding Online/Offline DB support?

No.  YADB is our own, so we have source and can maintain quality.  The database is improving rapidly now.

I would like to add that the Hairstyle Mode is an excellent concept towards the HTPC and I am looking forward to it evolving and maybe have an editor or 'wizard' for personalizing control pages also?

It is xml based, so you could add anything you wanted to it now.

Furthermore I use an AMX control system and I am investigating the integration that can be achieved with MC9.
AMX has an ActiveX object, called !-PCLinkPlus, which can be relatively easily integrated into a source code and provide 'seamless' control of a software player using their external NetLinx devices.

You might want to look at the Interface SDK on this page:
http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/developers.html

nila

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 01:27:30 pm »

If Yabb is your own, how about adding lyrics to it where possible?
I understand that cover art cant be added due to the Music Industry being a bunch of monopolistic £$"£(*'s who want to basically be the only ones aloud to do ideas like that so they can make all the money but I REALLY think they'd have an AMAZINGLY hard time trying to prosecute for supplying the lyrics.

After all, what grounds would they have?

The artwork is created by them and is copyrighted so they have a leg to stand on - even if it is a LAME one.
The lyrics to the song however are just the words being said in the song, it would be copyrighted against distributing the song and stealing the lyrics but having them in text with the song has, as far as I can see, no legal implications.

What'd you say?
Lyrics would really give you a BIG leg up on the other companies :)

Chart finder already has quite a bit and I'm sure people also have their own too.

nila

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 03:04:57 pm »

Bumpidy Bump :)

Any possibility of Lyrics down the line or is there some legal reason I'm not aware of.

Just curious, not being pushy :)

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 05:41:59 pm »

Well, the lyrics of a song are copyrighted.  Often times in album liner notes you will see phrases such as "Lyrics may not be reprinted without permission".  I would imagine that compiling a database of lyrics could constitute reprinting.  Although there are sites like Lyrics.com, which have an extensive database of lyrics, a quick search on Google also turned up a few links to sites that had to remove song lyrics due to objections of the copyright holders.  I recall there was some controversy a few years ago over Lyrics.com regarding this issue, but I couldn't find any info on how it was resolved and how they are still able to maintain their site.

Another problem, from a technical standpoint, if YADB started including lyrics in cd lookups, there would also have to be an option that would allow people who don't want lyrics in their tags to choose not to include them.

Rob

nila

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 12:09:14 am »

The last problem would be solved easily with a simple checkbox saying: 'retrieve lyrics'  on the tool which users could check if they wanted lyrics.

It would be interesting to know how or why lyrics.com is still open if it is indeed illegal because whatever loop hole they're using to stay open could be used by MJ probably to similarly store the lyrics.

rocketsauce

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 02:55:34 am »

I tried another Google search, but couldn't turn up anything relevant.

After thinking about it, though, I would imagine that the "loophole" has to do with whether or not the entity offering the lyrics database is a commercial enterprise. Basically, it's probably not legal for J River to use a database of copyrighted lyrics as a feature to enhance sales of their software without compensating the holders of those copyrights. So, in order to include lyrics in YADB, J River would probably need to have some sort of licensing agreement with the publishing organizations (ASCAP, BMI) that represent the songwriters.

Rob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 04:48:01 am »

We haven't done anything with lyrics because they are part of a song which is usually copyrighted.

Copyright includes the rights of the song writer (tune and lyrics) and the company or individual that recorded it.

Song writers sometimes assign the right to collect their royalties to ASCAP or BMI or another similar group.

Recording rights are usually held by a record label.  Sometimes the label also has a "publishing" division that owns rights to songs.

So, we aren't going to do lyrics until the dust settles on how this all works on-line.

nila

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 12:42:52 pm »

I'm gonna 'guess' how it's going to finally settle.

The music industry is going to set up their own version of it online.
Anyone can use 'their' version for a nice fat commission which is overpriced and not well set up (probably be around as well set up as the RIAA site which has been hacked like 8 times this year).

Anyway, thanks for answering that.

I wish they would hire someone to work for them with a bit of techno savy so we wouldn't have to wait 1000 years for them to catch up with the limitless possibilities that are available now if they'd just embrass them (ie you walk into a music store, plug in your portable mp3 player and download a song to it for 40p).
Would cost them NOTHING and they'd get 40p per song which seems a fair price for a song that you dont have a hard copy of and is most likely to get lost when you next change the songs on your player.
15 songs (an album) at 40p = £6 for a non hard copy with no distribution costs, no packaging costs, no labelling, nothing.
I think that's pretty fair and it's the kind of price that most people wouldn't mind dropping loose change into a jukebox to add a song to their player.

Anyway, one century now they'll catch up :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up