INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 versus Windows 11  (Read 477 times)

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
Windows 10 versus Windows 11
« on: January 17, 2024, 04:43:16 pm »

Hello all,

I have been running MC30 and MC 31 on Windows 10 Pro for about a year, but every now and then Microsoft offers me a free upgrade to Windows 11. Things have been basically running fine, but I would like to know whether I should accept the free upgrade to 11 or if I am better sticking with a well running 10. Also, does the free upgrade maintain the same version of the OS? That is, since I am now running 10 Pro, will the upgrade be to 11 Pro, or will the upgrade possibly be to a diferent version (Like Home)?

What are you experiences good or bad, and what do you recommend? I generally go with the philosphy "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" (or more accurately "if it ain't broke, then don't break it") type of person, but since the upgrade is free and I have no idea if MC will eventually REQUIRE Windows 11, I figured that this would be a good time to ask.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows 10 versus Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 08:23:58 pm »

My personal bias is to always run the latest and "greatest" software, including wrt to OS.  If it gets broken, fix it.

I have 2 PCs running Win 11 Pro, 2 on Win 10 Pro, and one on Win 10 Home, all 64-bit.  I always run latest version of MC on three of them (11 Pro, 10 Pro, 10 Home) and have never noticed any difference between MC's behavior on Win 10 v.s. Win 11.

My Win 10 PCs' oldish hardware does not meet current minimum criteria for installing Win 11.  Otherwise I would have updated them all long ago.  The only support issue I know of is that Microsoft threatens to stop supporting Win 10, so you may as well go for Win 11 now if you can do it for free.

My 2 cents.

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 09:14:10 pm »

Thanks mark, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I am an old timer who has used MSDOS at first and then went through the various iterations of Windows, basically using it since Windows 3.0, 3.1, Windows 95, XP, and on and on, and the history of Microsoft going from one version to the next has not been done well IMHO. I remember all kinds of driver issues and incompatabilities, programs that would not install and/or run properly, and just tremendous amounts of bugs when the OS was first released. Being on the bleeding edge and immediately jumping on the newest version of the OS was a BIG mistake for a lot of people. Normally, most of my friends and I would wait about 2 years after the release before even considering using the new OS due to the problems - we would simply wait for new drivers to be written and bugs worked out before using MS's newest baby.

I think things are better these days, but I am sure you can understand why I want to be careful before moving up. I think that your observations that you "have never noticed any difference between MC's behavior on Win 10 v.s. Win 11" make me feel much more comfortable about upgrading to the newest OS, especially since MS is giving it to me for free. My dedicated HTPC is running very well right now, and I would not have been happy if all of a sudden things got broken with the upgrade.

Thanks again, mark! Good stuff!

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 09:54:25 pm »

My dedicated HTPC is running very well right now, and I would not have been happy if all of a sudden things got broken with the upgrade.
No absolute guarantees wrt to your HTPC (and any related hardware drivers), after all this is software. :)  But if it's new enough to accept Win 11 the odds are really high it will be just fine.

Microsoft has indeed improved greatly over time, in my experience.  But if you want to be 99% safe, back up your drive or even better do a disc copy or clone.  One product I've trusted over the years is Macrium Reflect, which has a 30 day free trial.

In any case, be sure to back up MC and copy off the zip file to someplace safe.  The same backup file will work to restore MC on Win 10 and Win 11.

Good luck!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 12:27:26 am »

Our development is mainly done on Windows 11 and has been for quite a while. 

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 04:13:00 am »

Our development is mainly done on Windows 11 and has been for quite a while.
Windows 11 it is!  :)

rec head

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 06:32:18 am »

In Media Center the only change I have noticed going from W10 to 11 is better HDR handling in 11.
Pages: [1]   Go Up