INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can more info be added to JRsidecar.xml?  (Read 220 times)

corbendallas

• Recent member
Can more info be added to JRsidecar.xml?
« on: January 21, 2024, 08:38:00 am »

Hello,
I'm wondering if I could have MC add more info to the JRsidecar.xml? What I'm looking for is when the file was last opened.

The "problem" I'm trying to solve is that when I move folders with media files from one disk to another and the files get re-imported, most (for me) useful information returns, except when I played the movie/TV-series last. Yes, I know there's the Rename, move & Copy-functionality where this information gets moved also, but it always screws up the order of the files and folders. If there was a "keep old folder structure" button in there, I might be able to use it, but I haven't found that, so I'm trying to achieve the same thing another way, if possible :)

Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can more info be added to JRsidecar.xml?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 08:48:27 am »

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.  It might help.  You can move them without re-importing.

Have you tried using Library Server?

corbendallas

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 08:58:36 am »

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.  It might help.  You can move them without re-importing.

Have you tried using Library Server?

Wow, that was some quick reply! :D

I forgot to add that I have tried and used the drag and drop-functionality of the Explorer, and that does indeed work. If you have a big disk with a lot of folders the dragging part can take quite a while (like 15-20 seconds) to move past all the folders to get to the new disk. And it's quite easy to drop it wrong. It does work, but if you have a lot of moving around to do, it's quite time consuming.

For me, re-importing would be a lot easier if I could just get the "open file info" with me as well.

Library server? I did a quick search in the forum just now but wasn't able to find out what it is.

corbendallas

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 09:06:48 am »

If I was able to right click on a folder in the Explorer and choose "Cut", and then right click on another folder on another disk and choose "Paste", that would make the operation quite a lot faster and safer for me, compared to drag and drop :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 09:09:25 am »

Please see the wiki.  It discusses using the Rename, Move, & Copy, which can move files to a new location.

corbendallas

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 09:34:07 am »

Please see the wiki.  It discusses using the Rename, Move, & Copy, which can move files to a new location.

I have, several times. And I have tried it out. It works well when you are moving a big number of files from one place to another. My use case is a bit different.

At times I'm sloppy and it happens a season of a TV-series doesn't end up on the same disk as with the other seasons of the same series. No big deal since MC doesn't care and lists them all together. But every now and then I like to "clean" things up and then I need to move one season here and one season there, and maybe three seasons there, to the disks and folders where they actually belong. So far the Drag and Drop with Explorer inside MC has been the easiest way to do it. But if could add the needed information to the JRsidecar.xml, then I could just move the files and whenever the autoimport runs, all the info returns. That would be even easier :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up