INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another take on multi Channel matrixing...  (Read 734 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Another take on multi Channel matrixing...
« on: February 12, 2003, 07:48:57 pm »

Hi,

I am not trying to flog a dead horse so "listen very carefully.. I shall post this only once"... :D

We are now getting JRSS for matixing... I lobbied hard for CSII plug in (even paid) but thats a pipe dream (my favorite kind) but I proposed an idea >6 months ago that was shot down and the more I consider it the more it was for odd reasons...

WinDVD comes with DPLII in some of its later / high end versions... WinDVD is a Directshow player... By utilizing Directshow you are able to pass audio streams into this decoder and out to the audio renderer / soundcard (though probably at the expense of being forced to use the KMixer and losing ASIO)... The upshot of this is there is a way of using direchow to add DPLII with controllable surround matix functions simply...

I pushed for MJ8 to have a plug in or enabler to make thse graphedit pin connections and link the audio stream automatically... I dont have any 'good' matrix effects in my reciver and want to move to simply direct power amps anyway...

The reason I was infomred this was not desirable was that MJ (or MC etc) did not want to rely on outside progams to afford a solution... I think there was even the question of it was legal (very odd I though as this is precisely what directshow is for) but after feeling it was not thought to be a good idea I let it drop...

Now thinking about the whole thing, thats exactly what you are doing with ALL your DVD functions !!! You dont code your own audio and video filters anyway you just rely on DirectShow filters of other players...

Why is it OK to utilize directshow to play a DVD but not OK to use Directshow to play and audio stream through a directshow renderer ??

DPLII is a pretty nice matrix effect, it may not be CSII but its a good start... Building a filter graph has to be within the bounds of JRiver abilities and I know that others have linked WinDVD DPLII to 2 channel audio and manipulated the surround matrix switches via the registry... Surely a small plug in that could make these reg changes and enable this pin connection is a worthwhile proposition ?

As I said I will only do this once, but I thought it was a good idea 6 months ago and now with JRSS I think its a good idea now still...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up