INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Consistently rips the wrong CD tracks  (Read 2492 times)

CatCarson

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Consistently rips the wrong CD tracks
« on: August 01, 2003, 06:51:12 pm »

I've got a classical music collection I'm trying to rip to MP3 using MJ 8. Often there are two symphonies on one CD; I consider these to be two albums on one CD. For example, I have Beethoven symphony 4 and 5 on a CD: symphony 4 is tracks 1-4 and symphony 5 is tracks 5-8.

I like to edit the track properties before ripping, so I can get the files named and tagged correctly, right off the bat. I also update the track numbers so symphony 4 is tracks 1-4 and symphony 5 is tracks 1-4.

I've found (after ripping most of my CDs) that MJ has a problem when I do this. In the above case, symphony 4 comes out just fine, but symphony 5 is a problem. Even though the files are named and tagged as I'd specified for symphony 5, the music in them is actually symphony 4; it's as if MJ took the track numbers as a cue and re-ripped the first four tracks.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix? Can I get a refund? This has cost me a lot of time.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Consistently rips the wrong CD tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 04:53:05 am »

I don't like classical music even thou I played it for 9 years in concert. I was always more into Jazz.

maybe if you post a sample what it should be and what it turns out to be may help someone get a picture to what your talking about.

but when you make canges to the data, you should submit it back to YADB, then rip
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

CatCarson

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 12:44:35 pm »

Okay, here's what the CD looks like, after I've edited, but before I've ripped it. Note that the last track is by a different composer, and is a different work altogether, and that I've set its track number to 1:
http://eo.yifan.net/users/v/medeaton/CD_pre-rip.jpg

And here's what shows up in the Media Library for the Ravel track after I've ripped it; note that all properties are as expected, but that the length of the work is the same as for the first Faure track (and indeed, the music is the Faure track, not the Ravel track):
http://eo.yifan.net/users/v/medeaton/Lib_post-rip.jpg

Please don't post large images.  Some people use 28K modems.

You probably can't have two tracks with the same number when you rip.  You can change a track number after you rip.  It's probably automatic if you just select the tracks of the second set, edit them in properties, and change album, etc.  

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 03:08:48 pm »

so your saying you changed the track number to #1, not sure why since it is not track #1 on that cd.

I think your creating your own problems and MJ8 should not allow you to change the track #

so maybe it is a bug because it lets you change the track #
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 07:20:50 pm »

I seem to remember someone posting this exact same question about a month or so ago.

IIRC, the response in that previous thread was that this is the expected behaviour (ie., not a bug) when renumbering the CD tracks before ripping. The suggested solution was to renumber them after ripping.

If I can find the other thread, I'll post a link to it.

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 04:37:36 am »

well if it lets you change the track number that will cause the disk being ripped incorrectly it's a bug.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

CatCarson

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 05:39:13 pm »

A couple of comments:

First, I looked for similar threads and couldn't find 'em. If you can find that previous conversation, please post a link.

Also, if this is the way the program is supposed to behave, that's fine with me; but it should be *documented*. I looked at the help topics and couldn't find anything describing expected behavior in this case. What's intuitively obvious to one person isn't necessarily clear to another.

Finally, something weird happened with that last post of mine. I wrote everything up to, and including the link to the second image. All the text afterward, starting with "Please don't post large images..." was inserted by someone else. Is that standard practice around here?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
]Re: Consistently rips the wrong CD tracks
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 05:50:34 pm »

"Please don't post large images..." was inserted by someone else. Is that standard practice around here?

they would prefer that images are posted with the [url ] and Not The [img ]

not everyone has a cable modem, and the requst for that is something new.

it seems in the past 3 months animated images have been ban from the signiture line.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

CatCarson

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 06:56:57 pm »

My apologies to the community. I should have taken the time to learn the difference between img and url. Glad it was a couple of 65K jpg's instead of bitmaps.

CatCarson

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 07:31:12 am »

Any word from JRiver on this? I assume that this is their official forum, since their website pointed me here. If this is *not* the place for me to get answers from JRiver, could someone point me to the right location?

TIA...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 07:53:30 am »

This is the official location.

Rip your CD's first.  Edit later.

Just by changing the album or artist of selected tracks, they will appear in a different location in the tree.

You can also put the tracks in order and then use the tool called "fill track # from list order".

CatCarson

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2003, 09:33:43 pm »

Thanks, Jim. Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least it's an authoritative answer and one I can live with...
Pages: [1]   Go Up