INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: restoring with different drive letters  (Read 386 times)

Hollingshead

• Recent member
restoring with different drive letters
« on: January 27, 2024, 05:25:12 pm »

Hi I spent a while reading old posts, but couldn't find one that answered my question.

I have two large audio libraries and I have done considerable work removing duplicates, but not deleting because I want to keep the second library intact.

As I understand it, when I remove a file from the media library without deleting, that info is stored in Media Center's own database and is backed up automatically. But I've recently moved and had to tear my system down and, since it included a number of external drives, I couldn't make the drive letters match the old setup even if I wanted to, and I don't.

Now, I'm not worried about the libraries changing their path. I know how to use the library tools to change to a new path. But I really don't want to lose the library information. Are the backup files readable? Can I see where the backup expects the old libraries to be and then make sure the new setup corresponds and then move things wherever I want them?

I hope I've adequately explained the problem. I lost a boot drive a few years ago and didn't restore correctly and had to recreate all my library work. I'd really like to avoid doing that again.

Thanks much,
Kevin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: restoring with different drive letters
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 01:59:26 am »

Backups are stored as zip files, so you can search for them in Explorer, but you can't read them without restoring. 

Hollingshead

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 05:03:44 pm »

OK. I understand. But, if I restore and the location of the libraries have changed from the backup, what happens to the data about the libraries? If I adjust the location of the libraries, will the data persist to the new locations?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 01:08:17 am »

You can do that with Library Tools.  You can find and replace.
Pages: [1]   Go Up