INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 32.exe process never ends despite exiting the app  (Read 192 times)

wolffe

• Recent member
Media Center 32.exe process never ends despite exiting the app
« on: February 03, 2024, 03:22:04 am »

basically the title.

- start jriver media center 32 for windows.
   - it is configured to be a networked media server as well
      - configuration was performed via automation on update from v31

- start task manager, open the details tab, watch the entry for "Media Center 32.exe"

- exit jriver media center 32, either file->exit or the X button or alt-f4

- continue watching the task manager detail entry for "Media Center 32.exe".... forever.
   - selecting "analyze wait chain" on the process yields a dialog with "one or more threads of media center 32.exe are waiting to finish network i/o", then a list of thread ids and pids.
   - the hwnd window handle of the application is still valid and can be searched for using various normal windows calls. attempting to give the window focus (or anything, really) fails with the appropriate windows error codes for attempting to interact or set properties on a window that is either not finished being constructed or killed.

- starting jriver when the previous instance is in this state seems to work just fine... but the old process is not killed, there aren't duplicate processes, and the PID is the same for the newly restarted app

- killing the process manually then starting jriver works as expected, the new instance of the Media Center 32.exe process getting a new PID.

- exiting this new instance brings us back to the start with a zombie-ish process in task manager and a sort-of undead hwnd and PID.

please fix this as it's making automating certain tasks (especially those where jriver is brought to the front and given focus if it is running, or is started first if it is not running).

thank you so very much!

i happen to be a system programmer with a lot of c/c++/asm/debugging and all that under my belt, so if i can be of assistance hunting this one down, please let me know.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 32.exe process never ends despite exiting the app
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 04:31:00 am »

Are you running Media Server?  It is a small footprint version of Media Center.  What you see is normal.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 32.exe process never ends despite exiting the app
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 04:32:05 am »

If its setup to run as media server,  then closing the window wont actually cause MC to shut down - but only close the UI. Media Server functionality remains active.

You have to specifically shut down the media server from the system tray icon.

If you would prefer to MC only ever be active while the UI is up, you can disable Media Server mode - it does not actually disable any networking features, but only disables the persistent background behavior.

Alternatively, you can also use our own automation tools to shutdown MC fully, if required.
One option: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/The_Command_Line, eg. "MC32.exe /Close"
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up