INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyze Audio and Reboot  (Read 465 times)

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
Analyze Audio and Reboot
« on: February 03, 2024, 11:53:12 pm »

I've been using Analyze Audio bit by bit to catch up on my large suite of files. However, my system seems to have some instability / slowness so there have been instances where the analyzation process has caused some sort of memory failure and the PC has rebooted because of this. This is an issue with my setup - not JRiver so I'm not complaining. Commonly this has occurred when I'm playing music etc at the same time as the analysis so I don't do that any more and limit the analysis to approx 1K files at a time.

After the system reboots and I re-start the Analyze Audio smartlist, I see some files which I had previously selected and so I can perform the analysis on those again. I assume this is simply checking the Library itself to determine what has been analysed. Is that correct?

However, at the time of re-boot I assume there would be more files which have not been physically tagged: when the analysis is finished I commonly see hundreds of tags still being performed (and I wait for those to finish now before doing more).

So could there be a discrepancy between Library and file tags? If so is there any way to check this and re-tag?

comox

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Analyze Audio and Reboot
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 12:02:41 am »

When a system crashes with MC running it is not uncommon for MC's database to differ from the tags inside a few of the files that were being worked on at time of crash.

It is a good practice after a crash to manually run auto-import (with the options "Update for external changes" and "Fix broken links: Yes (protect files on missing drives)".

This will realign the database with tags and will give you a report of the files that you should manually inspect to ensure no tags need to be fixed by you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 12:07:54 am »

I've been using Analyze Audio bit by bit to catch up on my large suite of files. However, my system seems to have some instability / slowness so there have been instances where the analyzation process has caused some sort of memory failure and the PC has rebooted because of this. This is an issue with my setup - not JRiver so I'm not complaining. Commonly this has occurred when I'm playing music etc at the same time as the analysis so I don't do that any more and limit the analysis to approx 1K files at a time.
That sounds like an unstable PC.  What antivirus are you running?  Have you configured Windows Defender?

OS and version of MC?

Where are the files stored?  A NAS or USB drive or a local drive?

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 12:13:22 am »

I did not mean to imply MC causes crashes. I agree with Jim the problem is probably with your system.

MC is perfectly stable today and when the occasional problem is identified in a new build it is fixed immediately.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 12:39:06 am »

That sounds like an unstable PC.  What antivirus are you running?  Have you configured Windows Defender?

OS and version of MC?

Where are the files stored?  A NAS or USB drive or a local drive?

yes, I agree it is my pc - not MC. no antivirus, windows defender all ok. windows 11 home updated to latest version. mc current version. files stored on NAS

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 12:39:42 am »

When a system crashes with MC running it is not uncommon for MC's database to differ from the tags inside a few of the files that were being worked on at time of crash.

It is a good practice after a crash to manually run auto-import (with the options "Update for external changes" and "Fix broken links: Yes (protect files on missing drives)".

This will realign the database with tags and will give you a report of the files that you should manually inspect to ensure no tags need to be fixed by you.

thanks for this. will try it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 01:20:44 am »

Try updating the NAS firmware.

MC full version?

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 01:44:54 am »

Try updating the NAS firmware.

MC full version?

both are full & current versions

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 01:56:58 am »

I had a system that I overclocked and was perfectly stable for over a year. Then a Windows update changed my cpu microcode and the system became unstable. I had to redo the overclocking to make it stable again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 02:20:59 am »

both are full & current versions
What is the full number of JRiver Media Center?  Help > About.

Double check Windows Defender:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

Manfred

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 06:51:49 am »

I had the same issue a few years ago. If you have a large # of files to analyse, this can lead to ~100% CPU and Memory utilisation. I had ~ 15000 Files to analyse and choose 16 files to analyse in parallel on a 8 Core 16 Threads 16 GB system.  Then my Windows System crashes. You have to reduce the total # of files and the # of files to analyse in parallel.

In the mean time I have 32 GB RAM and run max 8 files in parallel. No problems so far.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 03:26:25 pm »

What is the full number of JRiver Media Center?  Help > About.

Double check Windows Defender:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

currently installed MS 32.0.8 (but this was happening on the last version of 31). will check / add the defender exclusions.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2024, 03:27:30 pm »

I had the same issue a few years ago. If you have a large # of files to analyse, this can lead to ~100% CPU and Memory utilisation. I had ~ 15000 Files to analyse and choose 16 files to analyse in parallel on a 8 Core 16 Threads 16 GB system.  Then my Windows System crashes. You have to reduce the total # of files and the # of files to analyse in parallel.

In the mean time I have 32 GB RAM and run max 8 files in parallel. No problems so far.

thanks. yes, i have set to max 10 at a time and around 1K per analysis - all seems to work fine with this config.
Pages: [1]   Go Up