INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can We Get an Android Auto Car App?  (Read 486 times)

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
Can We Get an Android Auto Car App?
« on: February 08, 2024, 02:04:21 pm »

Hey I just want to finally get a basic working Android Auto App.  I've been a loyal customer since JRiver Media Center 12 (check the records) and so I've made this request in the past but I don't see any response to the possibility of creating an Android Auto app.  I don't need any more functionality on MC.  I just want the following basic functionality.  Look at Spotify Android Auto app for inspiration.
  • ability to access Playlists
  • ability to access navigate via Genres, Artists, Albums
  • access some smartlists like recently played, Top Hits
  • should be able to use the Android phone app to control the Android Auto app once connected (like Spotify)

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request: Can We Finally Get Android Auto
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 02:10:12 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114964.0.html
"It has the typical features of a remote control plus https connections, volume leveling support for audio when playing to the device, network control for A/V equipment, and Android Auto support.  It also now supports Android TV."

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request: Can We Get Android Auto?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 03:24:42 pm »

JRiver for Android also supports Android Auto.

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Feature Request: Can We Get Android Auto?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 06:31:11 pm »

JRiver for Android also supports Android Auto.
I don't see how JRiver for Android supports Android Auto. You have to have a corresponding Android Auto car app for that to work? Where's the Android Auto app? I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. Android Auto is Google's platform for the car

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Feature Request: Can We Finally Get Android Auto
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 06:34:56 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114964.0.html
"It has the typical features of a remote control plus https connections, volume leveling support for audio when playing to the device, network control for A/V equipment, and Android Auto support.  It also now supports Android TV."

I'm aware you can use the JRiver Android app as a remote for jrmc. I'm talking about something else. I'm talking about remote controlling Android Auto remotely from your phone , while inside of your car as the MC Android Auto app plays music (if they had an Android Auto app). I hope that makes sense. Just read up on Spotify Android Auto car app functionality and how it Integrates with its Android app.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can We Get Android Auto? [It already exists]
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 06:53:34 pm »

It is not a separate app. You plug your phone into your head unit that runs Android Auto and you control it with the head unit’s screen.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 10:28:43 am »

It is not a separate app. You plug your phone into your head unit that runs Android Auto and you control it with the head unit’s screen.

Ok that's not an Android Auto app. I may as well just use Bluetooth audio to my car since that's at least is hands free.  Now back to my original question.  Why can't we get a true MC Android Auto app?  Has this never been looked at and put in the "too hard to do pile"?  Not enough users requesting it?  What???

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can We Get an Android Auto Car App?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 10:48:12 am »

They are both "true" Android apps.  You might try them to learn more.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can We Get an Android Auto Car App?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 11:27:47 am »

I don't think you understand how Android Auto works. It's completely controlled by your phone, the car is just a renderer. Most have wired connections, more recent ones are wireless. You can't install third party apps on your head unit (unless it's an aftermarket android head unit or car PC). Spotify comes pre-installed from the factory on some head units (this has nothing to do with Android Auto) because they have $multi-billion agreements with the car makers and head unit manufacturers.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 11:51:31 am »

Ok that's not an Android Auto app. I may as well just use Bluetooth audio to my car since that's at least is hands free.  Now back to my original question.  Why can't we get a true MC Android Auto app?  Has this never been looked at and put in the "too hard to do pile"?  Not enough users requesting it?  What???

As Jim said they are both android auto apps. When used with a compatible head unit the app appears on the head unit and you control it from there.
How is Bluetooth hands free? Do you use voice control to choose your music?
Pages: [1]   Go Up