INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDR/JRVR and audio issue  (Read 632 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
HDR/JRVR and audio issue
« on: February 12, 2024, 04:31:37 pm »

I am not sure when this started for me in v32 (i'm using v32.0.16), but at some point, if I have Windows set to "USE HDR" to "Off", and let JRVR automatically toggle HDR on/off via "automatically switch to HDR mode when starting playback", it does indeed switch the display to HDR, but the AUDIO (bitstream) is silent.

If I change the output device for audio to my external DAC, audio and HDR switching work fine

if I change to not switch to HDR mode, and leave Windows USE HDR to "off", then audio works fine but no HDR

If I change Windows USE HDR to "on", and JRVR does not have to automatically switch it on (or off), then audio works fine as does HDR

There seems to be an issue in the toggling on/off of HDR here.

I'm on Windows 11, using nVIDIA latest drivers.  have tried previous drivers back to last year, same results.

Found a thread similar to this, but it was for someone on AMD and v31.  I am not certain AMD drivers had anything to do with it.

I'll try MC v31 and see if it makes any difference.

EDIT:  v31 made no difference.

Guess for now it's leave Windows HDR on.  I note too that when I leave HDR on in Windows and JRVR does not toggle, it reports a steady framerate whereas if I let JRVR toggle HDR, the framerate jumps all around (my display is set to 120hz). 

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
Re: HDR/JRVR and audio issue
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 06:58:05 pm »

Posting thread where this same problem occurs, but with nVidia, not AMD.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136492.msg949756.html#msg949756

I'd find it hard to believe that both nVidia and AMD have the same "audio driver bug".  I suspect something else is going on here.

I also tried madVR, which works fine - switches to HDR, audio playback works.  Same as the old thread above.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 09:10:56 pm »

Try Analyze Video if you haven't.  Read the information here on HDR.   I don't think MC knows the files are HDR.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 07:34:30 am »

Thanks Jim - tried but no effect.

DocCharky

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 10:09:12 am »

Something strange is going on, I am encountering a similar (but not identical) issue, with the same setup (I let JRiver toggle HDR, since I don't want any tone mapping when playing SDR content).

RTX 3090 -> Denon X2800H -> LG 65C2

On any driver higher than 546.65, Audio passthrough is messed when playing 2160p23 at 12 bits. By messed I mean no sound at all or a blip of sound every 10 seconds. The AVR display switches back and forth between Atmos and DD+. There's clearly something wrong with the signal.

Same issue with different players (MPC BE/HC, VLC, JRiver), different renderers (madvr, MPC Video Renderer, JRVR, whatever VLC uses).

One time I even rebooted Windows and everything nvidia related had disappeared (like, no NVCP in right click menu on the dektop, no system tray icon)

8 bits works, And, weirdly, 60 Hz / 12 bits with passthrough works too. I probably should try more combinations (HDR/SDR, 1080p, etc.) but since driver 546.65 work perfectly fine, first thing that comes in mind is a driver issue. And that sucks, because I use the very same PC to play games and can't afford to NOT update my drivers for latest games...
Charky

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 10:32:35 am »

I'll give that driver version a try just to see if it makes any difference.  same for me - use this HTPC as a gaming rig, so not upgrading drivers is a non-starter.

rpro

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 10:39:01 pm »

I've had this issue for near 2 years (didn't matter what NVIDIA driver I used). My workaround is to NOT let JRVR auto-switch to HDR. Instead, I manually enable HDR in Windows. HDR passthrough in JRVR will work. Later, I created a script to do it for me, whenever I start a video with HDR content.

Full disclosure: I've had this issue ever since JRVR was released, but I did not report the error as I did not have an official license - I was using an eval version of JRiver 31. I purchased JRiver 31 several months ago.

I suspect that the issue is related to multi-monitor. On my HT setup, I have audio going to my AVR (Denon AVR-X3600H), using a display-port to HDMI adapter on my NVIDIA card (initially a 3080 and now a 4090), and the video going straight to my LG OLED 4K TV. I had to do it this way as the Denon is an older model with only 4K60hz - I have to go directly to the TV to get 4K120.

Speculation: When JRVR turns on HDR, the audio path does not get initialized properly, or the audio device is not identified correctly.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 09:22:06 am »

I cannot live without an EDID emulation device between the HTPC and the AVR, especially important with a multi-monitor setup. I tried several, including HDFury 4k but gave it me issues. The one that worked out of the box for me is Atlona ETU-SYNC EDID Emulator ($50 on eBay):
https://atlona.com/product/at-etu-sync/
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 09:48:29 am »

We can look into a function to activate HDR before the playback is actually initiated, similar to how we change FPS. This wasn't possible in the beginning because we didn't know if a file was HDR, but with the new video analysis we have this information now.
This may help to prevent the graphics driver from getting confused with the different streams.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 10:54:13 am »

Hope that works!  I don’t typically like to keep Windows in HDR mode. 

To the other poster, I don’t think it’s multi-monitor/display related as my setup isn’t like yours (I understand why you do it). 

As a follow-up, no matter what nVidia drivers I’ve tried, same effect.  I went back as far as 1 year on the drivers.

It does feel however like this is a recent phenomena and perhaps is related to a recent Windows 11 update; but I am not about to go mucking around with re-installing Windows+updates to see if there was a release that caused it.  The # of permutations must be maddening at times for the devs.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 03:20:11 am »

Just a data point here: Win 10 22H2 up to date, Nvidia drivers 537.58, direct HDMI connection to the TV, nd no bitstreaming (I use a stereo DAC with ASIO interface for audio playback) and I don't experience any issue with letting MC switch Windows HDR on and off automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up