INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lame custom doesn't give command line option  (Read 3043 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
lame custom doesn't give command line option
« on: November 24, 2002, 10:31:10 am »

please help....

I noticed recenly that when I select the internal lame encoder and select custom then click advanced I no longer get the command line option... it only shows normal, high speed, high quality.

I am using 8.378 and have been for a while.  I had to reinstall and MJ went out and downloaded the lame dll and now this.  I have been using 378 with the command line all the time in the past.

Does any have any ideas ?

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: lame custom doesn't give command line option
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 10:56:45 am »

Same here. Didn't work in .388 and still not after I reverted to .375. Happened after an uninstall/reinstall I think. The VBR plug-in must have been changed(?).

justsomeguy

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 11:27:31 am »

I have come to the same possible conclusion.  Any one have any other ideas

Does any one have an old version of the enc_mp3.dll

Thanks

phelt

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 11:21:54 pm »

I select "External Encoder", then the path to LAME, then the parameters (%IN %OUT --alt-preset extreme) and I've had no problems.

jayerndl

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2002, 12:46:21 pm »

I select "External Encoder", then the path to LAME, then the parameters (%IN %OUT --alt-preset extreme) and I've had no problems.
This does work, but it takes alot more time that using the internal lame encoder. What settings should be used with the internal encoder to achive the same result as "--alt-preset extreme". Thanks.

Jay

MachineHead

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2002, 01:58:27 pm »

There was a bug a while back with Lame encoder. Have you tried to download it again from the plug-ins page?

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2002, 05:51:24 am »

> What settings should be used with the internal encoder to achive the same result as "--alt-preset extreme".

MP3 Preset (LAME 3.92) Excerpts:

These settings are for LAME 3.90 stable and newer versions (Download from mitiok or from Dibrom.)

-------------------------------------------------
CBR 320 (highest possible LAME quality):

--alt-preset insane
(bitrate: 320 kbit)

VBR (variable bitrate) settings:

Very High Quality +

--alt-preset extreme
(bitrates 220-270 kbit/s -- usually averages around 256kbps)

Faster (Very Slightly Lower Quality):
--alt-preset fast extreme
(bitrates roughly the same as above)

Very High Quality

--alt-preset standard
(bitrates 180-220 kbit/s -- usually averages around 192 kbps)

Faster, slightly lower quality possible:
--alt-preset fast standard
(bitrates roughly the same as above)

High Quality, low bitrate

--alt-preset standard -Y
(Compromising, a little bit lower quality than pure standard, but less bitrate (-Y: usually limited up to 16 kHz) )

So....my guess is...
MJ @
Normal = Alt Preset Fast Standard
Normal/High = Alt Preset Standard to Alt Preset Fast Extreme
High= Alt Preset Extreme
320kb/s = Alt Preset Insane

MJ uses LAME 3.92 (most stable & best quality build). Install MJ B393. All encoding options work fine.

10-27

jayerndl

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2002, 06:03:43 am »

I'm still a little confused. In addition to the options you listed there are also 3 options when you select the advanced button (Normal, High speed, High quality). How do thay relate to the regular options in the quality drop down box? Also what does the custom option do? Isn't this supposed to allow command line options? I am using MJ 8.0.393. Thanks for the help.

Jay

xen-uno

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2002, 07:03:02 am »

MJ uses the LAME dll when using Custom as opposed to Use External Encoder which uses LAME.exe. I have to assume that the dll accepts the same parameters (when using Custom) that the exe does (when using External).

> ...select the advanced button (Normal, High speed, High quality). How do thay relate to the regular options in the quality drop down box?

I think that they are somewhat redundant (or one setting will override another...ie: you pick Normal quality and then pick High quality in Advanced). If you pick Normal/High for quality and High Speed in Advanced...then the -alt -preset standard is appended with -fast).

I prefer the Use External Encoder option because you know EXACTLY what your getting...that is...if I used MJ for Rip/Encodes. I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with the following string...

--alt-preset standard --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --tc "EAC: LAME 3.92 @ alt pre std" --ty %y --tn %n --tg "%m" %s %d

10-27

RemyJ

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2002, 10:51:46 am »

MJ uses the LAME dll when using Custom as opposed to Use External Encoder which uses LAME.exe. I have to assume that the dll accepts the same parameters (when using Custom) that the exe does (when using External).

Don't think so.  Regardless of how you invoke the MP3 encoder, it's always LAME.EXE that get's called.  As far as I know, there are only 2 differences between using it as an internal or external encoder:  If external, you get to see the lame popup window with it's stats, and you can't use the "rip and encode simultaneously" feature (which is slow anyway).  

I never did figure out exactly what MJ's "High Quality" setting meant so I've always specified my own command line options.  
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

justsomeguy

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2002, 11:34:52 am »

I understand that I can use the exteral encoder, for me it seems that using the rip n encode simultaneously option is a little faster than ripping then encoding in two steps.
Can someone explain why the custom selection is still in the drop down menu but no longer allows you to enter your own custom switches?  If they took the ability out then custom shouldn't be there.  Some of the other internal encoders allow you specify your own switchs, why not with lame.

xen-uno

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2002, 11:43:13 am »

I still think (for mp3's) that it's using the dll (enc_mp3.dll) for all jobs except "Use External Encoder". EAC has the ability to hide the cmd window when LAME.exe executes. I've also heard (though haven't verified) that the dll is faster than the exe.

Hang on......

OK, it (probably...need to try other tests but...I'm not that curious) is using the exe. I just renamed it (LAME.exe) and MJ couldn't find it while trying to do a MP3 Normal/High rip-encode. So I stand corrected. I wonder then...what does the dll do?

10-27

just > If they took the ability out then custom shouldn't be there

Customization works only for "MP3 Encoder VBR" and other VBR formats (like ogg & mpc)

RemyJ

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2002, 12:41:48 pm »

There still should be the option to give your own command line parameters using the internal "MP3 Encoder" encoder.  There was a bug in earier versions of MC9 that didn't allow it and I wonder if it crept back into V8.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

jayerndl

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2002, 12:50:24 pm »

There still should be the option to give your own command line parameters using the internal "MP3 Encoder" encoder.  There was a bug in earier versions of MC9 that didn't allow it and I wonder if it crept back into V8.
You cannot give command line options with MJ ver. 8.0.393 using the internal MP3 Encoder.

Jay

RemyJ

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2002, 01:35:48 pm »

Well, If you can't select Custom Quality then press the advanced button and enter a command line, then it's a bug.   You might want to add it to the bug thread at the top of the forum.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2002, 02:18:24 pm »

There was a bug in earier versions of MC9 that didn't allow it and I wonder if it crept back into V8.

Maybe it's not a bug?

Nice Trance Song.

Listening to: 'Everybody's free (Dance Nation Remix)' from 'The Best Of Aquagen ft Rozalla' by 'Aquagen ft Rozalla' on Media Jukebox Charted At 37 In 1992
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

justsomeguy

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2003, 07:47:27 am »

Finally, I discovered why I can't use the command line.  It is the new lame plugin that is used.  I was able to get my hands on the previous version of the Enc_mp3.dll file. This seems to handle encoding when you select internal.  I just copied over the one in my plugins directory and now it works.

So it looks to be a bug in the plugin.  I don't mind using the old dll but it would be nice if the new one worked correctly.  If anyone wants this dll email me and I'll send it to you... it's small about 180k.

I have also posted this in the bug thread at the top of this forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up