INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DPLII simulation?  (Read 246 times)

Ad Astra

• Recent member
DPLII simulation?
« on: February 27, 2024, 01:38:40 pm »

Hi

My setup is straight foward: HTPC, Windows 10, with storage for music files, JRiver Media Center as media player. HTPC outputs via HDMI to a Yamaha recevier. On the receiver I use Dolby Prologic II music (DPLII music) to play the stero music on all 5.1 speakers and I like the effect it gives. I am now looking to upgrade my Yamaha receiver and I have discovered that DLPII is nolonger an option, from what I can gather this is some Dolby limitation rather than Yamaha. The replacement is Dolby surround which is not as nice as DPLII music.

I guess it is a longshot, but is there anyway in JRiver Media Center to create the equivalent DLPII music sampling and send that over the HDMI connection? If so I could set the Yamaha to pure and it should play in 5.1.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DPLII simulation?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 02:19:12 pm »

See the Surround Sound topic on our wiki.

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 05:02:08 pm »

In modern AVRs, DPL-II has been replaced by "Dolby Surround", and despite its generic sounding name is actually quite a bit better than its predecessor. I simply set DSP Studio to "Source number of channels" and then allow my AVR to process the addional surround sound channels by employing "Dolby Surround" to fill up my 7.2.4 configuration.

Ad Astra

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 01:03:55 pm »

Many thanks for the replies. I ordered a new Yamaha receiver today and should arrive tomorrow so looks like I have two solutions to test which I prefer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up