INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Cover Art Files Aren't Saved in Their New Size on PC after Resizing in MC32.  (Read 418 times)

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck

I resize all my cover art to be 500x500 pixels and save them in the same file as the music with tag.
Now, they won't save at the resolution I change them to in MC32.
After cropping them and resizing them to 500x500 I save cover art to external location specified in options.
But then when I look at the music file on my laptop, the cover art is there but not at the new size, it's saved at the original size.
When I click on edit size in MC32 they show at 500x500.

I've made smartlists with image height and width more or less than 500x500 to keep track of the ones with issues and all of them show as 500x500 in MC32 but all at original size in the PC's folder.

So MC32 says it's changed them, but the music folder doesn't see that change.

I'm now submitting the 500x500 edited artwork I make in MC32 to the internet so they will eventually show up in internet cover searches in MC32 and I can save them to the file.

If I do that they save properly at 500x500 because I submitted them to internet that way and didn't modify them.

But if they were found in a google search and are more than 500x500 and I edit them they no longer save in the file at 500x500.

For instance fanart.tv has lots of cover art at 1000x1000.

If I copy and paste to MC32 and then edit it to 500x500 and save to folder, it will show as 500x500 in MC32 but in the folder it will still show at 1000x1000.

Is their some hidden option that's doing this?

I've recently posted about other issues I was having and MC staff solved them all by telling me what option to change in the myriad of settings MC32 has.

I hope that's the case here too.

This has only started recently unfortunately. For years all my edited size cover art saved at new size.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Are you editing inside MC, using the MC image editor? (What follows assumes the answer is yes)
I'm pretty certain, that by default, MC uses a 'non-destructive' approach. What this means is, MC keeps track of your edits, so that, when you view the image from within MC, it shows you the image with those edits applied, but does not save back to the file on disk.

Now, all of this behaviour is in your control. Carefully check the image below. This is produced when you click "Save", rather than "Save and exit".

Note that here, you can change what happens for this image only, and/or, you can change what happens by default when you click "Save and exit"

Hope that helps a wee bit :)

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck

Are you editing inside MC, using the MC image editor? (What follows assumes the answer is yes)
I'm pretty certain, that by default, MC uses a 'non-destructive' approach. What this means is, MC keeps track of your edits, so that, when you view the image from within MC, it shows you the image with those edits applied, but does not save back to the file on disk.

Now, all of this behaviour is in your control. Carefully check the image below. This is produced when you click "Save", rather than "Save and exit".

Note that here, you can change what happens for this image only, and/or, you can change what happens by default when you click "Save and exit"

Hope that helps a wee bit :)

Yes I know that setting and it's set to save changes to file, but it makes no difference, they are saved at original resolution, not my 500x 500 edit!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Are you using MC in a client/server mode?  Library Server running on a different machine?

marko

• MC Beta Team

Must be something like that Jim, or maybe user permissions on the file or folder preventing MC from overwriting the original file?

MC appears to be working as expected at this end...
I performed a crop, a resize, and a resize of a crop.
First time, I used the "Save" option to change the settings, 2 and 3 were saved using "Save and exit".

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck

Did some more experiments.

It turns out that even though I've set MC32 to save the image in the folder as the file with tag, it's saving the edited version in the default \appData\Roaming\JRiver folder and the unedited version in the album folder!

Doesn't make sense.

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck

Just tried it with another file and it didn't work yet again.

Even though I choose in tools>files>file location>cover art to save the cover art in the same folder as the file, it only saves the unedited photo there.

It saves the resized file in the default C:\Users\___\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 32\Temp\FLAC Image.jpg

No one else has this issue?

marko

• MC Beta Team

Honestly, I can't grasp your workflow. When I performed tests earlier in this thread, I used an image, imported into MC specifically to test the saving of the edited image. I did not touch the album art side of the issue.

What would help is if you could lay out, sequentially, step by step, the process you are following, starting with:

1. Download file from fanart.tv
2. ?

all the way through to the end.

Then you may receive better advice or bug confirmation.

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck

Honestly, I can't grasp your workflow. When I performed tests earlier in this thread, I used an image, imported into MC specifically to test the saving of the edited image. I did not touch the album art side of the issue.

What would help is if you could lay out, sequentially, step by step, the process you are following, starting with:

1. Download file from fanart.tv
2. ?

all the way through to the end.

Then you may receive better advice or bug confirmation.

I think I've found the source of the problem.

I copied a 1000x1000 fanart.tv cover art and pasted from clipboard onto album.
I then edited the art to 500x500 in MC32 and saved and exited.
I then saved cover art to location in settings.
My settings in MC32 are set to save cover art in the same folder as the file and in the tag.
In MC32 cover art edit it shows the file as 500x500 but in the album folder it saved at 1000x1000 original.

However, the default folder setting in MC32 is appdata\roaming\JRiver etc.
This setting is also in the cover art pop up after editing cover art.
If I look at the appdata\roaming\jriver etc folder it also saved at original 1000x1000.

I then changed the cover art folder option in MC32 to a cover art folder in my laptops pictures folder but left MC32 to save cover art to the same folder as file and tag.
After I did that and repasted the 1000x1000 cover art and then edited to 500x500 in MC32 it properly saved in the album folder and tag at 500x500.
You'll notice that even if you change default cover art folder to another one in MC32 settings, the cover art edit pop up still shows default appdata\roaming one.

So their is probably a bug in MC32 that prevents cover art from saving at edited size if the default appdata\roaming\jriver folder is selected and you choose to save cover art in same folder as the file and tag.

Try it and see.

My screenshots show the options that work.
If you change MC32 settings to default appdata\roaming\jriver and choose save cover art to same folder as file and tag it won't save at edited size for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up