INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Hangs When Switching from Audio to Video Playback  (Read 383 times)

troyc

MC Hangs When Switching from Audio to Video Playback
« on: May 21, 2024, 02:26:20 pm »

Hello all,

I've been having an issue since upgrading to MC32.

Occasionally when switching from playing an audio file to video MC will hang. It only seems to happen after MC has been running for a while, on the order of an hour.

When it happens UI is completely unresponsive, any attempted action results in Window's "Program is not responding" message with options to terminate the program or wait. I once gave it about five minutes to respond with no change.

All audio files are flac and video files are MKV.
All files are retrieved from a local NAS.

I'm 95% sure it hasn't happened when I have clicked the stop button prior to starting video playback.
MC has hung both when trying to playback a video from active audio playback and after a file has finished playing (playback stops with the track title and status "waiting" shown in the player bar with the waveform still visible).

I've included my most recent log dump, which has a log of MC hanging and a log of my unsuccessful attempts to reproduce the issue.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Troy

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Hangs When Switching from Audio to Video Playback
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 03:17:33 pm »

Try updating the NAS firmware.

troyc

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 03:39:40 pm »

NAS is and has been up to date.

It's a TrueNAS server with an SMB share for the media folder. My computer and thus I assume Media Center has full permissions to the folder.

There were no log messages generated on the NAS at the time of the most recent incident.

Thanks

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 09:09:35 pm »

This has been happening to me recently.  Hangs on a black screen when I stop a movie... has to be task killed.  Local files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 01:06:06 am »

This has been happening to me recently.  Hangs on a black screen when I stop a movie... has to be task killed.  Local files.
Are you watching via browser (Netflix or Amazon)?

Try escape or F11.

Could be a focus problem.  Click on the screen first with your mouse.

Alt tab

Alt-F4 will kill a browser window without killing MC.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 02:45:34 am »

MC has hung both when trying to playback a video from active audio playback and after a file has finished playing (playback stops with the track title and status "waiting" shown in the player bar with the waveform still visible).

I've included my most recent log dump, which has a log of MC hanging and a log of my unsuccessful attempts to reproduce the issue.

I can see in the log that it started setting up playback for the video file but then froze. I'm not quite clear why yet. Going to add a bit more logging to see if we can pin-point where it happens exactly. Unfortunately hangs are very opaque to us as there is no indication where exactly it stopped.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

troyc

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 10:28:32 am »

I can see in the log that it started setting up playback for the video file but then froze. I'm not quite clear why yet. Going to add a bit more logging to see if we can pin-point where it happens exactly. Unfortunately hangs are very opaque to us as there is no indication where exactly it stopped.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye on this thread so I can get another log once you've made some progress.

It probably won't help, but I've attached a few other log dumps of the same situation.

Thanks,
Troy

troyc

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 03:28:44 pm »

I did find a method that seems to induce MC hanging reliably, and it looks like I may have given incorrect information in my initial post.

I start playing an album, let it get to the end where the player bar shows track title and "waiting". At this point any attempt to play a video file causes MC to hang.

This works whether it is at the end of an album, or repeat is set to "Stop After Each Item". It also works whether or not the track was allowed to play out or if I advance playback to near the end of the track.

MC does not hang if I then play another audio file and attempt to play a video while that audio is still playing. So it now appears to only be the state above that causes the issue.

Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 02:47:36 am »

I could reproduce MC hanging very briefly in such a scenario - because it waits for the audio file to properly end before starting video - but the video actually starts after a few seconds.
However, I did not make it stop responding entirely. Maybe its something about your particular audio setup that triggers it.

The behavior with waiting for the file to stop on an explicit track change is rather undesirable however. So I made some changes to just abort playback like it would when you swap anytime otherwise. Lets see how that works out in an upcoming build.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 09:06:24 am »

Are you watching via browser (Netflix or Amazon)?

No.  Exclusive fullscreen local video.  Locks up into a black screen upon stopping playback.  Must be task killed to proceed.  Happens occasionally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up