INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Way to Copy Library to Another Computer?  (Read 167 times)

Michael S.

• Recent member
Best Way to Copy Library to Another Computer?
« on: May 26, 2024, 09:28:18 pm »

What's the best way to copy a library from one computer to another that uses a different drive ID?

I tried copying all files on my desktop PC to a portable SSD drive used with my work laptop.  The music files on my desktop PC are kept on drive C and the portable SSD drive on my laptop is drive E.

After the files were copied to the portable SSD, I restored the library that was on my desktop to my PC.  At first, the PC had trouble playing any files because it was trying to find them on device C and all files were on device E.  I then did a file import operation and the files were successfully imported.

The problem is, the albums are now showing double files with half shown as on C and half shown on device E.  How do I tell it to disregard the original C drive filenames?

Will this correct itself in time or is there something else I need to do or re-do?

In general, what is the best approach for copying/backing up a library from one PC to another where the files are kept on a different device ID?

Thank you.

Michael S.

• Recent member
Re: Best Way to Copy Library to Another Computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 12:01:12 am »

Think I found one solution. 

After copying the files to the new destination drive, restore the library using the newest backup, then select all files and go into Library Tools / Rename, Move and Copy Files.

In the bottom section on the left there is a Find & Replace tool that lets you rename all the filename roots to a new destination drive and keep all other filename information the same.

It changed all filenames correctly and everything seems to work OK so far.

If anyone has a better solution, please share.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 12:46:49 am »

That's on the wiki under Moving Files.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 03:59:00 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up